2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS registration

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 10:31 PM
TPMS registration

Hi,
I got this light ON (only word TPMS), so I assume need to change sensor and probably all of them on my 2012 FIT. Local shop wants 45$ only for registration which is pretty high I think.
Also anybody knows if spare tire equipped with sensor
Is there any software similar to Techstream on toyota to do this ?,

Appreciate all information, I'm in San Francisco .

Thanks
Much
Jane

Last edited by dainova; 05-08-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by dainova
Hi,
I got this light ON (only word TPMS), so I assume need to change sensor and probably all of them on my 2012 FIT. Local shop wants 45$ only for registration which is pretty high I think.
Also anybody knows if spare tire equipped with sensor
Is there any software similar to Techstream on toyota to do this ?,

Appreciate all information, I'm in San Francisco .

Thanks
Much
Jane
I recently got my 2010 Fit and used my scan tool to check on TPMS sensors. Spare doesn't have the sensor. So my Foxwell NT530 scan tool can write sensor IDs to the car's computer, but for that you would have to write down sensor IDs before installation. If you buy original Honda sensors these are already programmed and have their own IDs. If you have a scan tool that can communicate with your car's computer and supports TPMS function then you could register IDs from new sensors into your car. If your shop wants $45 for all sensors that is good.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:35 AM
Thanks Emperial for info
Shop wants 40/per single sensor for registration Only. So i think it's too expensive, and I've checked several of them around me.

J

Old 05-09-2022, 05:04 PM
Thanks Emperial for info
Shop wants 40/per single sensor for registration Only. So i think it's too expensive, and I've checked several of them around me.

J
It would be good to know if the shop wants to program the sensors that are initially blank. Honda's sensors are already programmed and have IDs. Don't know if any other Fit owner can chime in and clarify the following: My Acura RL has auto-learn TPMS system where you buy Honda's sensor and after installation car will read it by itself while driving the car. Would be good to know if Fit is able to do that too or IDs need to be registered into the car's computer.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:52 PM
Thanks Imperial,
LIkely Gen2 doesn't have any auto registration, as far I know you need special tool to do so.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:04 PM
TL;DR

1) If you have the time, shop around for the best price for TPMS service.
Locally-owned shops and auto-service franchisees MIGHT cut you a 'deal' if they're honest and genuinely hope to gain your loyalty for future business, such as oil and fluid changes, tires, and batteries. A high-volume car dealership service department might not cut any deals, using such services as a profit-center to increase dealership profitability.

2) The TPMS indicator light indicates different issues than the 'Low Tire' indicator.

The TPMS indicator may illuminate for one of the following reasons:
A) The battery in one or more TPMS sensors is dead.
B) The wheels installed do not have any TPMS sensors.
C) The TPMS sensors installed are not properly registered in the Fit computer, as happens when changing from one set of wheels to another)
In my experience, the Fit only stores one set of TPMS sensor codes at a time.

The 'Low Tire' indicator indicates
The air pressure in one or more tires is significantly lower than the other tires, typically 5lb or more difference.
A TPMS sensor (attached to the tire valve) has become 'flaky' or could have a dead battery.

3) I purchased an ATEQ QuicksetX for *$250.
https://www.ateq-tpms.com/
It works with Honda Fit (and most US vehicles with TPMS sensors) and it solved my immediate issue: resetting TPMS when switching from summer wheels/tires to winter wheels/tires.
*$250 when I purchased it about two years ago, but the price may have changed.

For a one-time-only service, $250 is expensive, but if your shop wants $40 per wheel, you only need to use a QuicksetX or similar tool a few times to justify that cost.

The Much Longer Read:

$250 was worth it for my case. Purchase includes two years of software updates via a Windows computer using free WebVT software, and superb email and phone tech support when needed. I used the tech support several times upon initial purchase because the QuicksetX didn't properly connect and update the Fit car computer. Over a period of a few weeks, ATEQ provided me with phone support and beta software updates until the issue was resolved. The next quarterly software update included the permanent fix.

We live in a small town and get measurable snow at least dozen times a year.
My son has a 2013 Fit Sport with 16" OEM alloy wheels with Honda TPMS sensors mounted with 'summer' tires, and
a set of 15" aftermarket wheels with aftermarket TPMS sensors, mounted with 'winter' tires.

So twice a year, we change from summer to winter, and winter to summer.

My local shop charges $5-each to swap one wheel set for the other, and $20 flat fee to update the TPMS. $40 per year, for TPMS service.
The first time we installed the winter wheels'/tires, the local shop didn't have a tool with the capability to update the car computer, so while they turned the TPMS indicator light off, within 25 miles of driving, the TPMS indicator came back on.
(I've changed the wheels/tire sets over at home, but depending on the temperature and the weather, $5 each to change from one wheel set is worth it, and it does save my back!)

I've ALSO gained the ability to read tire pressures (to the nearest tenth of a psi) directly from the sensors when the TPMS 'low tire' indicator light comes on, usually due to drastic seasonal temperature changes, or due to hitting a pothole or a road hazard. My son's car had one flaky sensor that kept triggering the 'low tire' light.

More about the ATEQ and the QuicksetX:
A) It triggers the TPMS sensor in each wheel (reads them in a specific order as indicated on the tool display) Honda Fit starts with left front, then counter-clockwise around the car ending with the right front.
B) It reads and stores the data by wheel position on the car, and then
C) Via included OBDII cable, it connects to the car and updates the TPMS data stored in the car computer.
D) It's 'hobbyist quality'. ATEQ also makes robust professional tools.

Older generations of TPMS tools required two separate devices - one tool to trigger the sensors, and another tool to read the info and update the car computer, so by combining them into one tool the QuicksetX is handier and more cost-effective than having two tools that are used only occasionally by a 'hobbyist'.

ATEQ recently introduced the VT37 which appears to have the same functions as the QuicksetX. I'm not sure why you would pick one device over the other.

As someone else mentioned, there is no TPMS sensor in the 2nd generation Fit spare wheel, only the four wheels mounted on the car.

The 3rd generation Fit (2015 and newer) doesn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels. That car computer calculates tire-pressure changes by differences in the rolling circumference at each wheel position to report low air pressures. (My 2016 HR-V also uses that method.)

Last edited by kostby; 05-10-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:02 AM
Wow, thanks Kostby. all shops charges $40 per single registration in my area, it's OK , I understand them. I will wait till I will need to change my tires and then will change sensors ($120/per 4). Might purchase tool for $150 ish.

Tx

Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 PM
$40/tire or $40/car?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:57 PM
40 per sensor = 160 for 4 wheels

Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 PM
40 per sensor = 160 for 4 wheels
Ouch! Seems high. Don't tire places do this when you get new tires there? I kind of recall a charge like that when I bought new tires (but less than that, I would have remembered a fee like that when the prices of tires are not much more than that!

Old 05-12-2022, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Looking to change mines as well since I'm in need of tires. Sensors are about $30-$40 each pretax and OEM seems to be the option for me since aftermarket is about the same as OEM.