2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Dummy with an intake issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 09:27 PM
Help! Dummy with an intake issue

So I've trolled this forum for a couple years. Love the community. I recently installed a new intake on the old girl and.... it idles rough and quits

Idk what the issue is Below is the setup. Basically Specter parts and K&N filter.

And I know, I know, some of you will be banging your fists saying to stick with the stock setup, but I love induction noise and the look of the aftermarket stuff.
Please help this noob, you're my only hope.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:46 AM
Your stock air box will perform and look better with a performance drop in filter. Just swap it back.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Your MAF is meant to work in a specific use case, so if air density flowing by the MAF changes greatly it can't compensate.

The solution: remove it all, return to stock or buy a different aftermarket hot air intake. K&N intakes have the same problem.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
What is the little filter? Am I imagining things in thinking it is on a vacuum line.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by SiXiam
What is the little filter? Am I imagining things in thinking it is on a vacuum line.
little filter on the breather tube

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...am-intake.html

more detailed pics of a similar setup

Old 05-02-2024, 06:03 PM
The problem seemed to be the diameter of the MAF tube. Needs to be same as OEM. Easy fix.

CEL is on but more than likely the ECU needs a tune since the intake and exhaust have been changed. According to MPG readout its running more efficiently, probably because its running a bit lean, but we'll see.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
You got it figured! Ecm calculates air coming in and one of the non-variables is the diameter of the intake plumbing where the MAF sits -- that changes and its all boogered. Cant math!
As for the PCV breather, let me know how that works out. The way you've got it rigged, im pretty sure that lines supposed to run back into the intake, yeah? I'm all for adding a breather to pull outside air, but I feel like it should be a T fitting and still route to the intake. I guess with your K&N on there though, yer likely getting enough air to compensate.

Do you have a catch can mounted somewhere, or is that gonna get some blow-by goo?

Old 05-06-2024, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
Typically without some serious tuning/correction gear, the MAF needs physically about 1 foot before it of lean flow to work correctly, more is better.
Honda spends a ton of money on intake resonance engineering. Stock ECU's Seldom deal well as they could with air flow mods.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pyts
You got it figured! Ecm calculates air coming in and one of the non-variables is the diameter of the intake plumbing where the MAF sits -- that changes and its all boogered. Cant math!
As for the PCV breather, let me know how that works out. The way you've got it rigged, im pretty sure that lines supposed to run back into the intake, yeah? I'm all for adding a breather to pull outside air, but I feel like it should be a T fitting and still route to the intake. I guess with your K&N on there though, yer likely getting enough air to compensate.

Do you have a catch can mounted somewhere, or is that gonna get some blow-by goo?
No catch can rn. I usually clean the MAF when I replaced to older filters anyway so I'll just keep doing that for the time being.
As for the breather, ive seen other DIY intakes here use the same solution I did. I'll link to it. Maybe lmk what you think. Open to improving the setup. Granted, their setup was on a gen 1.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...am-intake.html

Old 05-06-2024, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Typically without some serious tuning/correction gear, the MAF needs physically about 1 foot before it of lean flow to work correctly, more is better.
Honda spends a ton of money on intake resonance engineering. Stock ECU's Seldom deal well as they could with air flow mods.
True, but the INDUCTION NOISE. wow dude I love it on every car I hear it on. Im willing to lose a bit of efficiency if im honest. Ive done an exhaust on the car as well (so I am definitely due for a tuning) and it does get some better power in the upper limits of the REV counter, but tbh im also not doing it to be fast either lol. just the improved noise. Im a moron like that.

As far as distance from filter to MAF, there is more than what is shown in the pervious pictures. I added a 45 elbow and new filter sits somewhere right in front of the battery. I'll upload some pics if I get the chance.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2010fitnoob
True, but the INDUCTION NOISE. wow dude I love it on every car I hear it on. Im willing to lose a bit of efficiency if im honest. Ive done an exhaust on the car as well (so I am definitely due for a tuning) and it does get some better power in the upper limits of the REV counter, but tbh im also not doing it to be fast either lol. just the improved noise. Im a moron like that.

As far as distance from filter to MAF, there is more than what is shown in the pervious pictures. I added a 45 elbow and new filter sits somewhere right in front of the battery. I'll upload some pics if I get the chance.
its more likely either lost some bottom end power or just louder at the top of the rev range than actually faster.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, I checked the thread and saw it better (or noticed). The line routed to the breather filter is coming from the valve cover, and not the pcv. I've got a modified PCV set-up myself, so I cant look at it for reference.
Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get goopy, and don't overfill your oil 😋

I'm unsure whether the intake/exhaust will net performance gains. The exhaust should, at least, on the upper end and as a trade-off. For the intake I think you'd have to look at numbers to see if fuel use has increased in kind with the air volume, otherwise yer leaning stuff out a bit right? But who are numbers for anyways? I bet it sounds cool, and if it feels peppier, tight! Air may get through it quicker/easier, and that's not nothin.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pyts
Ah, I checked the thread and saw it better (or noticed). The line routed to the breather filter is coming from the valve cover, and not the pcv. I've got a modified PCV set-up myself, so I cant look at it for reference.
Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get goopy, and don't overfill your oil 😋

I'm unsure whether the intake/exhaust will net performance gains. The exhaust should, at least, on the upper end and as a trade-off. For the intake I think you'd have to look at numbers to see if fuel use has increased in kind with the air volume, otherwise yer leaning stuff out a bit right? But who are numbers for anyways? I bet it sounds cool, and if it feels peppier, tight! Air may get through it quicker/easier, and that's not nothin.
Noted, I'll keep an eye on it.
Ngl it's running a little lean. in the long term it will have some issues so a tuning is somewhat required a this point. But it sounds better and is a little peppier which is exactly what I was looking for. The sound of increased airflow is just, wow, chefs kiss. And it is a little peppier, regardless of what the other due in this thread is thinking lol. Im not knocking him, but I mean drive the car everyday for work commutes and straight up its just much better at carving up traffic then before.