2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any MPG reports yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
But who says your odometer is accurate?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
no matter what anyone says manual calculations will always
be more accurate than that BSM.
if you think going to different gas stations gives you
different X levels then fill it up all the way and find out.

fill it to the top. drive your tank to E and then fill to the
top again. then do your manual calculations.
this method will be most accurate than anything else.
Thank you for bringing sanity to this conversation!

There may be minor differences on each tankful (due to going one or two clicks past auto shutoff) but overall this is the most accurate. Minor fluctuations will average out over a couple of tankfuls.

I guess people WILL believe whatever they CHOOSE to believe!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
But who says your odometer is accurate?
Honda.

I have not heard of anyone saying that the odometer is inaccurate. As long as you have not changed the ratios (usually by changing tire size) the factory odometer settings should be quite accurate. Has anyone found that the trip meter does not match GPS findings with any consistency? % off?

The internal computer uses your trip meter for the MPG calculations. It is the calculation that is about 4 MPG off not the trip meter.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
30 miles per gallon. All city driving. (Automatic)

Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
no matter what anyone says manual calculations will always
be more accurate than that BSM.
if you think going to different gas stations gives you
different X levels then fill it up all the way and find out.

fill it to the top. drive your tank to E and then fill to the
top again. then do your manual calculations.
this method will be most accurate than anything else.
So fill it to the very top so that gas can leak into the charcoal canister? Good advise. Even Honda says not to fill it to the top.

Also, you DON'T have to drive to E(mpty). You can go half way, 1/4 tank, whatever. Why do you think you have to go to E? Please explain.

All others reading this, please don't fill it to the brim, unless you want to mess up the EVAP system and get a nice CEL. I just let the pump shut off by itself.

Originally Posted by 09 Fit
Thank you for bringing sanity to this conversation!

There may be minor differences on each tankful (due to going one or two clicks past auto shutoff) but overall this is the most accurate. Minor fluctuations will average out over a couple of tankfuls.

I guess people WILL believe whatever they CHOOSE to believe!
Actually, I will believe when you give me proof. I have yet to see you post anything concrete.

Honda.

I have not heard of anyone saying that the odometer is inaccurate. As long as you have not changed the ratios (usually by changing tire size) the factory odometer settings should be quite accurate. Has anyone found that the trip meter does not match GPS findings with any consistency? % off?

The internal computer uses your trip meter for the MPG calculations. It is the calculation that is about 4 MPG off not the trip meter.
I have owned 6 Honda's so far. 89 LX, 95 EX, 95 LS (x2), 98 ITR, and 00 S2000. ALL have been off on the average of 4%. This was verified by GPS AND radar. All stock, down to the tires.

Please provide the quote where Honda says the odometer and speedometer tuning has 0% margin of error.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruzitude
Just did 1600 miles to Zion & Bryce Nat'l Parks and back. Driving 70-80mph most of the time (except for holiday jams) my mileage was pretty consistent at 34-35mpg (actual, the gauge is always 3-4mpg's high).

HOWEVER, the tank of gas I got in Utah gave me 42mpg (and it was only $1.62/gallon) ... which shows that in California we not only pay extra for oxygenated fuel, it kills our mileage by a good 20%. /rant
WOW! I was about to post a response on this thread with a question about unusually good mileage driving from Salt Lake City (actually Layton) to Boise when I saw your post, Cruz.

I drove my almost new GE8 MT from Portland, OR to Salt Lake for the Thanksgiving weekend; I've now had 7 fill-ups and have kept track of the mileage for all:

239.0 miles, 7.508 gal, 31.8 mpg, OR (dealerships gas)
242.3 miles, 7.828 gal, 31.0 mpg, OR
284.4 miles, 8.725 gal, 32.6 mpg, OR
295.4 miles, 9.062 gal, 32.6 mpg, ID
317.9 miles, 8.136 gal, 39.1 mpg, UT ***
216.0 miles, 6.502 gal, 33.2 mpg, ID
291.8 miles, 9.237 gal, 31.6 mpg, OR

I've marked each fill-up with the state in which I bought the gas (in other words, state where I made the previous fill-up). Is it a fluke or something about the route (high altitude, hills, etc.), or did the gas I got in UT really get me that much better mileage?

I know it's not from underfilling, since the AVG MPG gauge read 42.8 for that tank.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by podom
I've marked each fill-up with the state in which I bought the gas (in other words, state where I made the previous fill-up). Is it a fluke or something about the route (high altitude, hills, etc.), or did the gas I got in UT really get me that much better mileage?

I know it's not from underfilling, since the AVG MPG gauge read 42.8 for that tank.
It mostly has to do with the elevation. Your engine will burn leaner, thus giving you better MPG's. On the flip side, you do lose power. And the thinner air gives you less wind resistance. (kidding on the last one).

Old 12-06-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I ACTUALLY spoke to Honda about this problem. They told me that the trip odometer is pretty accurate. They further told me that this was the first that they had heard of the mileage difference (in September) and that they would look into it if they received more complaints. They also told me that I should bring the car into the dealer just so that I have documentation in case this is an issue in the future (Honda lost a class action suit before because their odometer was reading higher than actual mileage thus putting the cars out of warrantee sooner). I did take my fit into my dealer and brought my mileage records with me. The dealer said that they would forward the records to Honda.

Most everyone here knows that the displayed mileage is about 4 MPG more than the actual calculated mileage.

Believe the mileage meter if you want.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
The can is probably bigger than 5 gallons, to allow for headspace.
Rifles have headspace; jerry cans have EXPANSION space....

Actually, the can was a long way from totally full. I paid upfront for five gallons, and the girl (in theory) set the pump for that amount. It kept on running, right to 5.6.
Anyway, the way gas prices have been, I'm a little suspicious that the vendors may have their thumb on the scale.
Moon

Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I ACTUALLY spoke to Honda about this problem. They told me that the trip odometer is pretty accurate. They further told me that this was the first that they had heard of the mileage difference (in September) and that they would look into it if they received more complaints. They also told me that I should bring the car into the dealer just so that I have documentation in case this is an issue in the future (Honda lost a class action suit before because their odometer was reading higher than actual mileage thus putting the cars out of warrantee sooner). I did take my fit into my dealer and brought my mileage records with me. The dealer said that they would forward the records to Honda.

Most everyone here knows that the displayed mileage is about 4 MPG more than the actual calculated mileage.

Believe the mileage meter if you want.
Ha ha ha ha. You spoke to "Honda?". As in the dealership? Well, there goes the credibility of everything you said right there.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been averaging between 33 - 36 mpg (computed manually) on my '09 Fit Sport Manual Transmission. The computer is pretty much 4 mpg over every time....

Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
Ha ha ha ha. You spoke to "Honda?". As in the dealership? Well, there goes the credibility of everything you said right there.
Honda USA. They do have a phone number.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Honda USA. They do have a phone number.
Call up ANY car manufacturer and ask the same question and see what they say.

The Honda USA call center isn't any more credible than a dealership.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
The point I'm getting at is, the computer actually COULD be more right than the actual calculations. The computer does not take the calculations from the odometer, so it is not affected by the factory speedo/odometer settings, nor the tire sizes. Nor is it affected by the inconsistent fill line. This is the case with the aftermarket ScanGaugeII as well. I believe it is more accurate than the traditional mileage divided by gallons method.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.
Of course it uses the odometer. Thats why it is MILES per gallon.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I have been using the Scangauge with my Fit since day one. On the first tank, the difference between BSM and Scangauge (not calibrated) was .8 mpg. They are both using the same data from the ECU. It should have been the same.

After a 1000 miles and adjusting for actual fuel used. Right now the offset with the Scangauge is 8.7%. The BSM error is under 4mpg. I used the same station and same pump.

If Honda's mileage meter is capable of the self adjusting (fat chance). This means your MPG will drop by about 10% in the future.

Last edited by Ein; 12-07-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
You are correct. the ScanGauge uses the odometer readings, throttle position sensor, timing sensor, air intake temperature sensor, manifold pressure, RPMs and the volume of the gas tank (10.6 gallons) to compute miles per gallon. While the computation may be done differently by the ScanGauge the information is still being provided by the car's sensors.

I still manually calculate my MPG at average 4.3 less than Honda's mileage meter. Maybe the gas tank really does not hold 10.6 gallons. Honda needs to address this problem. Possibly with a re-flash of the on board computer.

I am sure that you are also right that the mileage meter does not self adjust. There are self adjusting computations for driving habits on the Fit but i don't think the mileage meter is one of them.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Wrong.
Of course it uses the odometer. Thats why it is MILES per gallon.
Yes, I admit that I assumed wrong there. I learn something new everyday, no matter how simple. Just like you learned that your calculator and Honda both lied to you right to your face.

Originally Posted by Ein
I have been using the Scangauge with my Fit since day one. On the first tank, the difference between BSM and Scangauge (not calibrated) was .8 mpg. They are both using the same data from the ECU. It should have been the same.

After a 1000 miles and adjusting for actual fuel used. Right now the offset with the Scangauge is 8.7%. The BSM error is under 4mpg. I used the same station and same pump.

If Honda's mileage meter is capable of the self adjusting (fat chance). This means your MPG will drop by about 10% in the future.
Good to hear that somebody ACTUALLY have done some tests. However, I pose the same question to you. How do you know that the Scangauge is more correct than the BSM?

I am not saying one is more correct than the other, but I am just trying to playing devil's advocate to try and figure out which method is actually correct. The manual calc. COULD be more correct. The BSM/SGII COULD be more correct. So far, I have not come to any solid conclusions yet.

My Acura MDX has an option to manually calibrate the odometer (through the NAV). Not sure if this is the case with the Fit's.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
So fill it to the very top so that gas can leak into the charcoal canister? Good advise. Even Honda says not to fill it to the top.

Also, you DON'T have to drive to E(mpty). You can go half way, 1/4 tank, whatever. Why do you think you have to go to E? Please explain.

All others reading this, please don't fill it to the brim, unless you want to mess up the EVAP system and get a nice CEL. I just let the pump shut off by itself.

Actually, I will believe when you give me proof. I have yet to see you post anything concrete.

I have owned 6 Honda's so far. 89 LX, 95 EX, 95 LS (x2), 98 ITR, and 00 S2000. ALL have been off on the average of 4%. This was verified by GPS AND radar. All stock, down to the tires.

Please provide the quote where Honda says the odometer and speedometer tuning has 0% margin of error.

as for the mileage read here
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...extension.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-mileage.html

as for topping the gas tank off. yes it's not recommended
but it's been done. to do it twice is not going to hurt
the car.
read here for more info.
Fit gas tank info topped off - CleanMPG Forums

also read here
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14857

also i didn't say you ahve to run it to E.
you can run it anywhere you want but
remember the more you use the better
you calculations are going to be.

Last edited by niko3257; 12-07-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I had a practice of pushing gas into my Camry, I don't know why I started doing this, but I did, and I ruined the ECV or something, and it cost me $300 to replace the part. That's expensive gas, in the end, for nothing.

It doesn't matter if you push the gas into your tank, it's not going to increase your mileage one foot. Whatever is in the gas tank, you drive until you've used a certain amount, and then replace the gas, then figure your mileage based on that. The only reason to let the calculations go from full to empty is to make sure you get all the normal conditions in which you drive. Otherwise, you could fill up (NOT over-fill), go 50 miles, and fill up again, and calculate.

One more time with feeling: Your mileage is NOT AFFECTED by forcing gas into your tank past the pump cut-off!! But you CAN ruin parts on your car by doing this, and your "check engine" light will come on. My mechanic told me that if the valve got stuck in the "open" position, the car would not run, but mine was getting stuck in "closed." (or the reverse, I can't remember, whatever)

Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I had a practice of pushing gas into my Camry, I don't know why I started doing this, but I did, and I ruined the ECV or something, and it cost me $300 to replace the part. That's expensive gas, in the end, for nothing.

It doesn't matter if you push the gas into your tank, it's not going to increase your mileage one foot. Whatever is in the gas tank, you drive until you've used a certain amount, and then replace the gas, then figure your mileage based on that. The only reason to let the calculations go from full to empty is to make sure you get all the normal conditions in which you drive. Otherwise, you could fill up (NOT over-fill), go 50 miles, and fill up again, and calculate.

One more time with feeling: Your mileage is NOT AFFECTED by forcing gas into your tank past the pump cut-off!! But you CAN ruin parts on your car by doing this, and your "check engine" light will come on. My mechanic told me that if the valve got stuck in the "open" position, the car would not run, but mine was getting stuck in "closed." (or the reverse, I can't remember, whatever)

nobody said it's effected by it.
we are just saying in order to get the most accurate reading
on how many mpg you get you have to fill it up all the way.
if you only fill to the first click at the pump you don't ever
know how much you put in every time. it could vary.

Quick Reply: Any MPG reports yet?