2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any MPG reports yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
the best to this day is 34.9 and im happy.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
i just did nashville to tampa and back this week. the car's computer consistently read 3-4mpg high vs my hand-calculated results.

one big surprise was driving tampa to nashville against a stiff northerly headwind. it knocked my previous 33-34mpg (based on my calcs in my MT Sport (with navi, if that matters)) down to 30mpg. this thing is seriously susceptible to crosswinds AND headwinds it seems...oh well, i put 700 miles on it in one day twice this week and loved every minute of it. the USB connection is invaluable!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boostedk20a2
I recently drove to Pittsburgh from NJ. On the tank that was all highway I got 33.1 mpg. The car did say 37.6. So I'm guessing the car is off?
The car is definitely "off". Most everyone finds about 4MPG difference.

I always encourage people to report it to Honda USA. A re-flash of the program would probably fix it but Honda won't admit that there is a problem.

Please everyone report the difference in actual MPG to Honda!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09 Fit
The car is definitely "off". Most everyone finds about 4MPG difference.

I always encourage people to report it to Honda USA. A re-flash of the program would probably fix it but Honda won't admit that there is a problem.

Please everyone report the difference in actual MPG to Honda!!!!!!
Would a reflash of the program really work? It seems that all Fits have this phenomenon, so all can't be outta whack, they just engineered it that way. So a reflash would only reset it to factory specs.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
A re-flash with the right transmission/wheel diameter ratios would probably do the trick.

Many aftermarket power programs offer this ratio change to accommodate changes in transmission gear ratios or more commonly, tire diameter size changes. There are none available for the Fit yet.

It seems to me that this was a deliberate action from Honda (sorry Honda Fans) so that we would tell our friends about the GREAT gas mileage we're getting. Honda had to test the mileage meter against actual mileage in pre-production. It is an easy fix in the development stage. People who own hybrids simply would not stand for the difference soooooo Honda got it right on the hybrids. My 1994 Corvette has it pretty close. 1994!!!!!

This seems to be a marketing scheme and Honda should be made to fix it!

Please, Please report this to Honda! They will not do anything about it unless a lot of people complain.

PS: Honda has been sued in the past over a similar issue of the odometer reading too high and Honda lost the suit. Warrantees were extended due to the higher than actual mileage. This higher mileage also translates into better MPG.

SHAME on you HONDA!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Last tank:

24 mpg.

I don't granny the car, but neither do I drive like Mario Andretti.

I think I know why the person who owned it before me traded it in. A lot of hype on gas mileage and a small car that should get better mileage.

I'm disgusted.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Juliane, do you typically get around 24 mpg? My parents just traded in their 07 Fit Sport AT for an 09, and they live in upstate NY, where it's mostly steep hills and suburban stop and go. I think their typical lowest mpg was around 27. Hwy would typically yield in the upper 30s.

I think there's something going on with your car to only get 24.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I just realized I'm in the wrong thread!!! This is the GE8 forum. I thought it was the gas mileage thread.

Yeah, I get about 24-26 mpg regularly. Do your parents have ethanol in their gas? It seems to make a big difference with these cars. We have NO hills here. I drive zippy, but not crazy. I don't over-rev. I am very disappointed with the mileage. But I know if I take it to the dealer, they will just tell me it's my driving style.

I love my car, but I could love it even more.

Juliane

Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
I just confirmed with my parents that their worst mileage with the 07 was 27, their best 40 on the highway, but typically 32. They're in upstate NY, so I don't know about the ethanol content.

I still think something's up with your car. Hopefully it makes up for it with added power!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM
I've got 200 miles on the Odometer and my MID says 33 MPG.

If my MID is 4 MPG off that's still 29. Not shabby for 50/50 city/hwy.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
I have 310 mostly highway miles on the odometer. The computer says 35.8 mpg. After my first tank of 9.195 gallons gasoline, I came up with 33.7 mpg. It is much better than my old 97 Wrangler Sahara at 15 mpg but not too much better than my old 89 CRX Si. Highway driving with my 89 CRX Si wasn’t too shabby at 30 mpg.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I have 1500 miles under the belt, and the gauge is telling me I've averaged 31.0 MPG. Judging by the calculations I've done myself (I save every gas receipt, and note on it the odometer reading) this is more or less accurate. I do quite a bit of non-highway driving, and when I do the SL is usually 65-70, so these figures are pretty good for how I drive IMO.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
just spend a month in NYC during hte holiday season. drove from atlanta and now back. the best mileage i got was almost 42mpg on pure highway, at 65mph crusied speed, during mild weather. on the way back i drove slightly faster (between 65-70mph) and also in much older weather and the mileage suffered - average around 36mpg. for almost a month i drove in town in NY, often in stop and go condition, and the mileage was still over 28mpg in the worst tank. to me this is very good results and i am happy about it.

i was kind of shocked to see Consumer Report's own mileage figures. it says the city mileage was only 21. i have never achieved such a low figure, but maybe they are measuring driving within Manhattan during rush hours (where there is a lot of "stop" and hardly any "go"). without that kind of driving condition it's hard to imagine getting such low mileage. CU's figures are very close to EPA figures but in real life most people beat EPA figures easily. Last year's model however achieved much better CU numbers.

BTW during my travel across country this time I was carrying a lot of stuff. The Fit is very able and very comfortable (no back aches during 8 hours of driving per day). i did feel the wind gusts but other than that the trip was very enjoyable.

on the

Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I just confirmed with my parents that their worst mileage with the 07 was 27, their best 40 on the highway, but typically 32. They're in upstate NY, so I don't know about the ethanol content.
10% ethanol all year!

Since the cold weather, I've been averaging 30 mpg. That's all short trips, back roads, in a hilly area and letting the car warm up in the morning. Five minutes or so.

Last edited by cardinal; 01-18-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
'12 VB Sport M/T

Stats so far:
(all hand calcs)

2012 Fit Sport M/T
-------------------
Tanks: 13
Average: 35 mpg
High: 38.7 mpg
Cost: $0.102 / Mile

I've estimated that my total ownership cost is approx $0.32 / mile factoring in insurance, finance cost (interest), depreciation, maintenance, so on...
NOT BAD! Cheap & FUN.

I believe the '13 Civic I looked at would have had about the same ownership cost (better mpg, possible hold value better, similar insurance cost, possibly better reliability) but I opted to put my money to work in other places (401k, so on) and selected the cheaper of the two -- despite similar ownership costs / small luxuries of the Civic. Vehicles are terrible investments and they always lose value. IMO, the trick is to select a car that "leaks" your money the slowest (a rate of $0.32 / mile is pretty good) and provides the most utility (fun/transportation). The cheapest route is to just buy junker cars for like $400 and drive them until a repair cost more than the car is worth in scrap, in which case you would just buy another junk car; however, this factors out fun, comfort, convenience,.... Of course, there are situations when you need a car that says something about you, like if your were a salesman or real estate agent, in which case you would need to include a "wow factor". Just a little info on why I chose the Fit.

I digress...

I use Fuelly.com and enter info at every fill up. This figure of 35mpg includes the "break in" period so I hope to see the average climb. I drive 70 miles, round trip, to work and average about 2,100 miles per month.

About 80% HWY, 20% CTY
Dash reads about 2+mpg from calcs.

I used to own an 04 Civic EM2 and collected data for about 6 months and averaged 35.2 mpg w/ the 1.7 L I4. Glad that the '12 fit could at least match the efficiency of the 9 yr old technology in my EM2! I have a feeling a 6th gear would have pushed the hwy average up 2-4 mpg but the 5-sp does the job.