2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Locking Gas Cap

Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Locking Gas Cap

I have a Fit on order and plan to replace the gas cap with a locking model. Can anyone recommend a brand and model, source.
Not a big issue, but thought I'd ask here first. I haven't researched the market.
Seems strange that Honda did not include a locked gas cover and driver's release. But so be it.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
ohh can you tell me... does the fuel door on the 09 Fit lock and you can only open it on the inside?

i seem to remember looking at the fuel door when i was checking out the 09 Base model at the dealership and it didn't look like it would open from the outside..

(theres no little lip on the fuel door to open it)

it would seriously be a pain in the balls to steal gas out of a Fit... first of all the filler tube is like 6 or 7 feet long, try siphoning gas out of a tank with a tube that long... it isn't easy, second of all there isn't much gas in the tank to begin with, someone would probably rather target an SUV with a 20 gal tank which aren't hard to find

the 07-08 locking fuel cap might also work, i don't see why they would change the type of fuel cap for the 09, but its possible
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 09-14-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:17 AM
The 09 cap will spring open when pressed, giving the illusion of a locking cap but actually not.

i wouldn't worry about the Fit's gas being stolen because thieves can get more and easier from an SUV (and at least half of the cars out there are those biggies so why would they bother w/ a tiny Fit?). On the other hand if you get a locking cap, you have an extra key to keep. What if you lose it or misplace it? Just not worth the trouble for nearly non-existent risk. My 2 pennies.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
The 09 cap will spring open when pressed, giving the illusion of a locking cap but actually not.

i wouldn't worry about the Fit's gas being stolen because thieves can get more and easier from an SUV (and at least half of the cars out there are those biggies so why would they bother w/ a tiny Fit?). On the other hand if you get a locking cap, you have an extra key to keep. What if you lose it or misplace it? Just not worth the trouble for nearly non-existent risk. My 2 pennies.
totally agree..

and look at how huge those keys are!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
ohh can you tell me... does the fuel door on the 09 Fit lock and you can only open it on the inside?

i seem to remember looking at the fuel door when i was checking out the 09 Base model at the dealership and it didn't look like it would open from the outside..

(theres no little lip on the fuel door to open it)

it would seriously be a pain in the balls to steal gas out of a Fit... first of all the filler tube is like 6 or 7 feet long, try siphoning gas out of a tank with a tube that long... it isn't easy, second of all there isn't much gas in the tank to begin with, someone would probably rather target an SUV with a 20 gal tank which aren't hard to find

the 07-08 locking fuel cap might also work, i don't see why they would change the type of fuel cap for the 09, but its possible
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories
Looks can be deceiving. It is actually not locked. It is a push and release type of mechanism. I am not concerned with people siphoning my gas but tampering with it.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest

Some have actually re-keyed the locking gas cap to match the ignition key so only one key is required. Only $20 i hear, so not too expensive.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitlurker
Looks can be deceiving. It is actually not locked. It is a push and release type of mechanism. I am not concerned with people siphoning my gas but tampering with it.
haha jerks are jealous of our 40 miles per gallon

that door would annoy me, springs to wear out and always having to touch the paint, especially if the car was dirty

Old 09-14-2008, 03:01 AM
I bought a $10 or so gas cap lock from Autozone......works great!

btw --- i'm not worry about people stealing my gas...i'm more worry about someone pouring a bottle of water into my gas tank.....or a can of salt.....or sticking a Costco Hot Dog...........or human piss...........or sand.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I remember years ago seeing locking gas caps with a 4 digit combination code on it, I wonder what happened to those?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
i'm not worry about people stealing my gas...i'm more worry about someone pouring a bottle of water into my gas tank.....or a can of salt.....or sticking a Costco Hot Dog...........or human piss...........or sand.
Do people actually do that? Gross! They are probably kids anyway. They really should be shot or they will grow up to be terrorists!

I guess it depends on where you live. In certain neighborhoods it can be dangerous. But if you park your car in your garage every night it's very unlikely.