2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Conventional Oil - Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dryfly 5300
One last thought. Let your car drain for an hour or more. Rapid oil change is not the goal in fact it makes no sense. Isn’t the point to get as much sludge as possible out of the engine? So not changing the filter or not letting the oil-bottom sludge drain out completely is good because? If I have the time I will let my car drip over an hour before putting the plug, new filter and fresh oil back in. This was very good advice from an excellent auto shop teacher in the early seventies.
If you have sludge, then you are correcting a problem that you have let go way too long. Advice regarding oil from the 70s doesn't really apply to current cars. When you do an oil change, the oil still should be in good shape, and any little bit of sludge should be in the filter. No matter what you do to drain the last bit out, like jacking up different corners, there's always about .5-1quart of old oil in your engine.

If you DO have sludge, then you need other corrective actions to fix it other than draining for an hour, such as engine oil treatments or just changing your oil more frequently.
If you have the time to do this level of fastidiousness, there is no harm in it, but there is no practical benefit.
You may also want to cleaning the pebbles out of your tire treads, getting levels of your fluids down to the millimeter on the dipsticks and setting your tire to precise PSIs each day to account for temperature.

That being said, oil and oil changes are a personal sensitive subject, so feel free to do whatever floats your boat.

But personally to me, the thought of letting your car drain for 1hour reminds me of the OCD shown in this video:
YouTube - TheSnowCleaner by LOL Wizard (HD original version)

Last edited by raytseng; 03-29-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM
I ' use Mobil 1 Synthetic for about 20 years now, for me its the best oil out there
My wife has a accord with 180K miles with Mobile 1.
and now I have the Fit with Mobil 1 .

Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Here's my reason for using Synthetic. I was getting insane distances between oil changes when using the meter. (I drive 99% two lane highways). I always felt guilty and would change the oil early and reset the meter. Now I use Synthetic and I don't worry.

On the question of leaving thr factory oil in until told to change. I always change the oil at around 1000 KM in a new car, BUT I was told by 3 or 4 Honda service departments not to do it and leave the "break in" oil in, so I did.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
lol...yea, the Break in oil should be in for 5000 miles.
its a special blend for engine break in.
I use Mobil1, from walmart, it's cheap...and works.
If i was in a warmer climate, i would use regular oil....
synthetic is amazing for cold starts

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Synthetic Oil

Get your Mobil 1 front costco or walmart...cheap!

Originally Posted by lmatthew9
I am thinking about switching to Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w-30 at the first oil change. Or putting in Royal Purple 5w-30 (which some people sware by) at the first oil change. I have yet to ask my Honda guy (which I will do hopefully tomorow) and I will let you know what he says. Have any of you done this with the 07-08's? OR does any mechanic have their input on this? Any info is appriciated.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I went to wal-mart last week. Mobil 1 0W-20 is finally in a jug now.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Rayseng:

Not to belabor a point, but the assumption that one does nothing for an hour while the car sits in the garage draining oil is as fallacious as the logic that a Honda Fits oil filter always removes all impurities. Filters and the chemistry of oils have changed since the seventies, logic and physics (at least only our understanding of physics has changed) but physics has not, so let’s politely agree to disagree.

Actually the discovery of dark matter and energy is a huge breakthrough in modern physics (nice to know where most of the matter and energy of the universe is) hope you stay on the light side of the force. Regarding your recommended activities again hope you stay in the light and can pass that on to someone else.

Best Regards,

Dry Fly

Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dryfly 5300
Rayseng:

Not to belabor a point, but the assumption that one does nothing for an hour while the car sits in the garage draining oil is as fallacious as the logic that a Honda Fits oil filter always removes all impurities. Filters and the chemistry of oils have changed since the seventies, logic and physics (at least only our understanding of physics has changed) but physics has not, so let’s politely agree to disagree.

Actually the discovery of dark matter and energy is a huge breakthrough in modern physics (nice to know where most of the matter and energy of the universe is) hope you stay on the light side of the force. Regarding your recommended activities again hope you stay in the light and can pass that on to someone else.

Best Regards,

Dry Fly
I'm not arguing those points nor am I arguing that you will or will not get a few drips of extra oil out.

What I am arguing is if these things makes a "practical" difference not a physics difference. This is based on that there are way more than a few drips of oil in the system that's going to remain no matter how long you wait or jack up different corners of your car to shake out the last drops; and that those drips aren't inherently that bad or used up, or a little bit of impurity is going to make a difference.

If you start going down the route of waiting an hour, then why not go a little further and every oil change, do a double-oil change flush, where you run an extra 4quarts of sacrificial oil for a few minutes, to really make sure you flushed out or at least diluted out the "old" sludge? And even if you flushed 2times, there's really still a percentage left, so you better flush 3times/oil change to remove even more of the old oil and so on and so on.

But at what point are things good enough?
My answer to this question is I would say the industry standard of just letting the drain until it stops is good enough, there's no "practical" benefit to even the extra effort of draining for an hour same as jacking up different corners to drain oil; and other things like removing pebbles from your treads.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm guessing that dryfly is quite used to taking his time doing things. I used to enjoy a Saturday morning under the hood. First thing would be to open the filler cap, crawl under and pull the drain plug and let the oil go into an old laundry basin. Then up top to pull the rotor cap, check the points, then the wires and then pull the plugs to take a quick look and check the gaps. Next came the air filter. Then a look at the brake fluid levels and a peek into the radiator. Back under the car to get the basin out of the way, replace the plug and smear the new filter ring w/ a bit of oil and stick that one. Then back up top to fill in the base oil amount, crank the engine a few to fill the filter and then top off to the fill mark on the dip.

I had a similar teacher as him, first thing is to get the oil draining.

It was, for me, a ritual of motorhead love. I would actually look for that 'good to the last drop' of oil to come out of the pan.

Nothing wrong with it at all. A ZEN thing of sorts that kept me in touch with my engine.

I like to go fishing too. Can't hurry that either.

I still enjoy changing the oil and fishing. Not so prone to crawling under the car these days, but still drill holes in the ice and sit stream side as much as possible drowning bait.

Tell me that makes no sense.

K_C_

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Nothing wrong with it at all. A ZEN thing of sorts that kept me in touch with my engine.

K_C_
I completely agree. Nothing at all wrong with it.
But forums are about exchange of information including some opinions and some facts. I hope this includes correcting what I believe are misconceptions. My posts are just my opinion, but I believe it is backed up by logic which would push it towards becoming a fact.

The original post seems to position this practice as something that was "good advice", where I thought I needed to give my 2cents that I feel it will have no practical effect.

If someone said it's a good maintenance tip to dance around your car 3times waving a wand and saying a oil change spell while the oil is draining; even if it has no negative effect, I think it's worthwhile to say my peace that that's not really going to do anything.

As with any oil related topic which ends up breaking into different camps, go ahead and follow whatever procedures makes you happy, as long as you ARE changing your oil regularly, the minuscule differences aren't going to have an effect on the overall outcome.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
As with any oil related topic which ends up breaking into different camps, go ahead and follow whatever procedures makes you happy, as long as you ARE changing your oil regularly, the minuscule differences aren't going to have an effect on the overall outcome.
And this is why I love oil threads, never got to mention ice fishing in one before_

Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
This is yet another long oil thread so rather than read it all yet again, I'll just report my findings thus far. My first oil change was June 2010 and I switched to Mobile 1 synth. All has been well through the rest of that steamy summer and a brutally cold and snowy winter. Even better, the oil life gauge seems to be following perfectly as well- now down to 20%. I suspect I may just make it till June once again- the one year mark. In fact, I know I would make it but the nag screen at 15% gets annoying fast and gets me antsy to change out. So if a couple long trips gets it done early, so be it. But the percentage has gone no faster or no slower considering it's synth. I think it's accurately reflecting my weather/road conditions and my driving habits as well. And after you choose what oil you're gonna use, it's nice to know the gauge has your back reliably.

Dan

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed easier starts and smoother warm ups with synthetic oil. That's the ONLY difference, which is what I'd expect. And unless your car sits outside and it's -10 or -20, it's not that big of deal.

But, I use synthetic oil because it's worth it to me. The chances of sludging are nill with it, and it's a lot happier until warmup on the -20 Iowa mornings. :-) Plus if I ever sell the fit, that will be a selling point with the maintenance records.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
my girlfriends 1998 honda civic lx has 81k on the clock and runs like a top ive been putting in royal purple with a mobile 1 filter for the last 10k miles. cant say ive seen huge improvements in anything but nothing has suffered because of it so it works for me....plus i like getting her the best of everything when it comes to her car....its treated us so well for the last two years of ownership that i think we owe it that much.

ps i change it every 4000 miles...i know i know i can go much longer but it gives me a couple hours to wrench around and while its up in the air i get a chance to make sure everything else is in order.

kbaiName:  riaa.gif
Views: 1670
Size:  1.5 KB
haha been looking to use that smiley for a while now

Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey nicke, you fix locks?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey nicke, you fix locks?
haha you got me! yes its in the blood....i know nothing else!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Sweet - smiley's and locks. Now I know who to call.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Sweet - smiley's and locks. Now I know who to call.
thats right...

http://www.websmileys.com
&
Edward C. Mangione Locksmiths Inc. | Facebook

Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I am definitely not an expert, but I look at it this way: I know a lot of people that have ran their car over 200k miles. None of them use synthetic oil. I haven't personally known anyone that has spun a bearing or thrown a rod since high school. Neither have I seen a car in recent years spewing out white smoke in the back because it is worn out from a lifetime of dino oil use. It is always other components that give trouble to the point that the owner gets fed up of having repairs and gets a new car. If you use synthetic can it last over 300k? Idk, but it is a significant increase in cost and by the time your car has over 200k miles on it, most likely other things that are non engine related are giving trouble anyway. I just don't see the benefit of paying the increased price myself.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by patm95
I just don't see the benefit of paying the increased price myself.
0-2% in fuel savings over 12000 mile oil change interval for $12 increase in price.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Conventional Oil - Any comments?