2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Conventional Oil - Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Some things cannot and should not be dumbed down for consumption by the lowest common denominator. Oil is one of them.

Fluid dynamics is not something you can just put in layman's terms and illustrate the mechanics of it in an accurate fashion.

You want an example of how a simple change in oil can create a significant difference in fuel economy and power (which are both related by the way, one often follows the other)

The following was originally intended for one of my boosted gas 2.0L's

There is something called Bearing Operating Condition(BOC) which can be one of 3 states, but you really only want it operating in the 3rd state, fully developed hydrodynamic lubrication. Which correlates to a BOC of 35+. The formula to find BOC is as follows:

BOC = Viscosity x RPM x Diameter x K / Unit Load

Viscosity is in units of absolute viscosity. "K" is a value to convert RPM and Diameter into surface speed. Unit Load is the applied force divided by the projected area of the bearing (the insert width times the journal diameter).

First, viscosity. I can't find absolute/dynamic viscosity numbers for various grades of motor oil, so I took the Kinematic Viscosity of 10w30 (dino) motor oil at 100*C and multiplied it by it's specific gravity. This should give me the Dynamic Viscosity.

Second is the value "K". To find surface speed you multiply circumference by RPM. So Diameter x Pi x RPM = Surface speed, therefore K = Pi Right?

Lastly, unit load. I used 12,000 lbs of force, but this is relative to motoGP/Formula1 type engines, not boosted 4cylinders. I know our engine's see a BMEP nearly twice that of a formula 1 car, so it is a conservative place to start.

I also had no bearings out of the motor to measure their width, so I just put a caliper on the main cap and eyeballed it. I came up with an area of 1.425, so a load value of 8421.

Put it all together, 8.4 x 9500 x 2.245 x 3.1415 / 8421 = 66

The optimal range between 35 and 50 so we are well out of that range.

From here we can use the Stribeck Curve to find our friction coefficient, which I found to be .0057

So with an applied load of 12,000lbs, that gives us a friction load of 68.4 lbs. The diameter of the journal used is 2.245, so 1.1225 x 68.4 = 76.7 in/lbs or 6.39 lb/ft.

At 9500 this equates to 11.56 hp per main bearing.

That is 8600 watts of energy wasted per bearing, and that is only for the 5 main bearings!

That is not accounting for all the rockers, cam journals, cylinder bore contact patches, rod journals or wrist pins. Or the oil pump its self.

So maybe you should bone up on the basics, BC.

What units are used for measuring viscosity?

How does temperature affect viscosity?

What are the real differences between weights of comparable group oils at a given temperature?

These all are key to understanding what the hell I am trying to tell you.

None of this is made up or conventional knowledge. When I tell you something, think about it don't just throw it back in my face or I won't bother explaining it further.

There is method to my madness and I wouldn't be sharing if it didn't have merit for Joe Commuter perusing this board.

If you actually give a damn about learning the science involved for oil go here and read everything two or three times and absorb it:
Deprecated Browser Error

It might help if you defined the units of measurement. We have measured some dyno curves for various width bearings on the same engine and there is n optimum depending on the engine displacement and rpm limits.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
For those of us engineers who have participated in the development of engines I can assure you that engineers at Honda evaluated 0W-20 oils in the Fit and other engines. Synthetic oils are the choice not only for decreased friction - better mpg - but because of the shear strength. One of the biggest difficulties with conventional hydrocarbon oils is their less resistance to 'shredding' under load pressures, much as happens when you pull a sheet until it tears. In the lubricating process that tearing immediately lets metal to metal contact. And for those of us who have dismantled an engine after wear tests and weighed the moving parts I can assure you that synthetics are much better. In fact, 0W-20 synthetic oil works great while 0W-20 conventional oils are almost certain to fail at load. And 0W-20 is better than 5W-30 conventional oils.
Ive been reading about hydrocarbon shearing and its not about shearing as no zddp and the oil thinning out at high heat. If oil shearing is a problem then oil volume is lost. I have 8000 miles at 20 percent on MM and the oil level is full with conventional oil. In my truck at work we have a 3 minute idle time which is not long enough for a diesel turbo with less additives to save money on fuel and emissions. My truck in particular uses a gallon of oil every 3000 miles at 140000 miles and I dont see how thats saving money compared to 10 years ago. We had 4 turbos blow this month alone and I expect more to come. I do see why synthetics are better but they also get dirty and the oil thins out too and with less zddp there still could be metal to metal contact.

Moly and zddp is the reason no metal to metal contact. Thats why its important to use the MM with the factory fill. Honda uses moly and is one reason Honda engines last so long

Last edited by SilverBullet; 04-15-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Ive been reading about hydrocarbon shearing and its not about shearing as no zddp and the oil thinning out at high heat. If oil shearing is a problem then oil volume is lost. . I do see why synthetics are better but they also get dirty and the oil thins out too and with less zddp there still could be metal to metal contact.

Moly and zddp is the reason no metal to metal contact. Thats why its important to use the MM with the factory fill. Honda uses moly and is one reason Honda engines last so long

Oil shear strength varies considerably between hydrocarbon oils and synthetic oils. As temperature rises the oil indeed thins and shear is the result of high loads 'ripping' the thin sheet. When that ripping occurs there will be metal to metal contact. Its not a strict function of the thickness of the oil layer, which I think you equate to volume, but of the strength of the layer itself. A thicker layer of paper will rip faster and under less load than a thinner layer of steel. The analogy isn't perfect but you get the idea.
And because turboed engines develop higher loads on rotating opposing surfaces synthetics are always better. But using synthetics isn't a guarantee of no metal to metal contact, just that it takes longer to get there.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Oil shear strength varies considerably between hydrocarbon oils and synthetic oils. As temperature rises the oil indeed thins and shear is the result of high loads 'ripping' the thin sheet. When that ripping occurs there will be metal to metal contact. Its not a strict function of the thickness of the oil layer, which I think you equate to volume, but of the strength of the layer itself. A thicker layer of paper will rip faster and under less load than a thinner layer of steel. The analogy isn't perfect but you get the idea.
And because turboed engines develop higher loads on rotating opposing surfaces synthetics are always better. But using synthetics isn't a guarantee of no metal to metal contact, just that it takes longer to get there.
Thank you, I am beginning to understand the big picture. I just got my oil changed and the car runs better. Quieter and starts better. It made it to 6500 miles before problems with sooty tailpipe and hard starting which I thought was the fuel. I asked the dealer if 5w20 was going to be discontinued for 0w20 in September but it was over his head and just said no. I know what Honda said but that memo has not made it to them. The truck issue is because of lack of oil changes and the 30plus start stop cycles I put it through in a short time. Just to clear the air in My fit the synthetic oil had the same issues as conventional but was cleaner. And it is snowing in April here. I changed it at 7800 mile at 20 percent on Honda bulk oil.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 04-16-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
so today im just had my second oil change at around 8600 miles or 20% on the indicator. btw after the first change i had about 4200 total miles on the car at 20 or 10% indicator, so i went another 4200 or so miles before i got to 20% again and the car felt like it needed the change. i drive mostly short trips in the washington dc area, so that is hard on the car.

i had a mobile filter and mobile 1 syn ex put in for the first change

this time i had a purolator pl14610 ( 5 bucks with free shipping from amazon ) and mobile 1 5w20 ( 24 bucks per gallon walmart) put in.

I seem to notice as the 100% gets lower and lower the car seems to drive rougher below 50% and at 20% I felt it needed the change.

It may just be in my head. but after the change and back to 100% the car seems to drive much smoother. Does anyone else notice this?

note: the mechanic left a small amount in the gallon jug ( feels like 1/2 quart )

Last edited by FIT410S; 05-10-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
It's what mahout and silver and DSM were explaining.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT410S
so today im just had my second oil change at around 8600 miles or 20% on the indicator. btw after the first change i had about 4200 total miles on the car at 20 or 10% indicator, so i went another 4200 or so miles before i got to 20% again and the car felt like it needed the change. i drive mostly short trips in the washington dc area, so that is hard on the car.

i had a mobile filter and mobile 1 syn ex put in for the first change

this time i had a purolator pl14610 ( 5 bucks with free shipping from amazon ) and mobile 1 5w20 ( 24 bucks per gallon walmart) put in.

I seem to notice as the 100% gets lower and lower the car seems to drive rougher below 50% and at 20% I felt it needed the change.

It may just be in my head. but after the change and back to 100% the car seems to drive much smoother. Does anyone else notice this?

note: the mechanic left a small amount in the gallon jug ( feels like 1/2 quart )
This maybe obvious, but remember oil doesn't suddenly turn from good to bad. It's a gradual decay.
The 0% on the MM is an arbitrary point in time when Honda recommends you change your oil to keep your car operating properly and avoiding any damage.
The oil maybe a little "rougher" because it's used oil. But it may not actually be causing any damage and still within operating specifications.

Just as an arbitrary analogy (numbers completely made up). You can think that new the oil is at 100% efficiency. MM reaches 0% when the oil is at 90% efficiency. You maybe able to notice some difference between 100->95 compared to 95%->90%; but Honda declares even if you feel it, the oil should still be good enough and you don't "need" to change it. If you are unsure and second guessing the MM; you can send the oil in for analysis and see if your 20% oil really still is good and within spec.

Or, think how the first 20% of your new tires will outperform the last 20% of your tires. The tires still work but are not as good as the new . But unless you're racing you don't go around changing your tires after 20%.

Regarding the amount of oil. yea, it takes about 3.7quarts so you should have a little left over that the mechanic may return to you; so you can top off if your car consumes any oil within the interval.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM
you guys are quite knowledgeable I must say. thanks for the fun reads and help.

what i should of done was check the oil level at 80 60 50 40 20 % and see if the oil level was decreasing.

when i get the oil change thats what it feels like, that there is more oil. i know on my honda civic with synthetic after about 4k miles the oil level went down to about 1/2 on the dip stick.

has anyone been monitoring this as the % in the car goes down?

Its like how the car seems to drive better with a full tank of gas vs a low tank. the oil feels like its ... here comes a strange analogy... it feels like the difference if you were to gargle with 1/4 of a mouth full vs 3/4 full. the 3/4 is smoother and feel like it covers more areas with less noise.

haha

Last edited by FIT410S; 05-10-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT410S
you guys are quite knowledgeable I must say. thanks for the fun reads and help.

what i should of done was check the oil level at 80 60 50 40 20 % and see if the oil level was decreasing.

when i get the oil change thats what it feels like, that there is more oil. i know on my honda civic with synthetic after about 4k miles the oil level went down to about 1/2 on the dip stick.

has anyone been monitoring this as the % in the car goes down?
It depends on your specific car. some people go the whole distance with absolutely zero oil consumption. Others go from Full to Add over 1 oil change; so just change it at that point and don't add any. Still others consume more and need to top-off a few times in-between.

Most people with the relatively new fit should consume zero or close to zero.

Check after some time to see if you get any consumption. Once you get a feel of it, you can check less frequently or more frequently as needed. Since you are having short trips you may have some fuel or water dilution which throw off the readings. You may want to take your reading only after having a recent freeway trip (at least 10min) to get an accurate reading.

You should note that anywhere between Add and Full is within specification. You don't need to always be at Full.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Great answers especially the tire analogy.
I was going to use either grasshopper or padowan in my reply, I beleive your answers are better.

It is always good to hear someone becoming aware of the feel of their cars engine.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i stopped using synthetic in my dd's (both GD and GE) and just replace when the oil reminder tells me. main reason is i cant tell a difference in performance between cheezo watever's on sale major brand dino oil vs Mobil1 silver cap.

also i dont keep my cars more than 30K miles so i dont care about the longetivity, not that dino oil is doing anything BAD for the car, i dont dont feel the need to go the extra mile for something i wont own that long anyway.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Which is about two hundred bucks over the life of a car, so the question is does it save enough gas or batteries or wear to make it worthwhile?

I use it, but I figure that at $200 it's pretty much a wash.
Well, if you truly get a 25k interval with syn and at best an 8k interval with dino there is a savings of about 180 in oil costs over 200K using the syn, just going with the numbers here.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
It depends on your specific car. some people go the whole distance with absolutely zero oil consumption. Others go from Full to Add over 1 oil change; so just change it at that point and don't add any. Still others consume more and need to top-off a few times in-between.

Most people with the relatively new fit should consume zero or close to zero.

Check after some time to see if you get any consumption. Once you get a feel of it, you can check less frequently or more frequently as needed. Since you are having short trips you may have some fuel or water dilution which throw off the readings. You may want to take your reading only after having a recent freeway trip (at least 10min) to get an accurate reading.

You should note that anywhere between Add and Full is within specification. You don't need to always be at Full.
Oil consumption? I thought that was a thing of the past. My Accord went 220K and never used a drop of oil. I ain't kidding. I was taking it 15-20K intervals on syn towards the end and it didn't use anything.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Dino oil will last to the MM for many reasons and synthetics are very good in high loads, racing and winter. Most dino oils are semi synthetic. It takes the oil 1000 miles before the additives and oil wear in. Its hard to explain that but thats when I see the best mpg and a better running engine.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Isn't the OEM oil from Honda a sythetic blend anyways Since oil changes are approx 7500 miles? Conventional oil is only good for 5000 right? Synthetic is 10000? And full synthetic is 15000? So if you were to use conventional oil but following the maintenance minder wouldn't you risk sludging the engine?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Hmmmm

If you can afford it, synthetic is better, I can afford it. But I will not spend the money!!

Truck engines change at 100,000 with synthetic?? Some diesel engines never change the oil!! They have the oil analyzed and put in needed additives.

Testing needs to be done over a period of time to look for changes.

98 Ford 190,000mi cheap oil and filters, still running strong. Oil changed at 3000 Mi when driving around town in summer up to 9000 mi when doing all road mileage.
JIm 0311

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Hmmmm

If you can afford it, synthetic is better, I can afford it. But I will not spend the money!!

Truck engines change at 100,000 with synthetic?? Some diesel engines never change the oil!! They have the oil analyzed and put in needed additives.

Testing needs to be done over a period of time to look for changes.

98 Ford 190,000mi cheap oil and filters, still running strong. Oil changed at 3000 Mi when driving around town in summer up to 9000 mi when doing all road mileage.
JIm 0311
Trucks change the oil after 25-30000 miles. 45 quarts to be exact and for every 15000 miles its a pound of soot floating in the engine. They get 6 or less mpg so thats 4000 to 6000 gallons for every oil change. Its a semi synthetic oil which is a group 2,and 2+ which is oil made from propane. They do have bypass oil filters like Gulf Coast Filters, Inc. Specializing in Bypass Oil filters, Fuel filters, Hydraulic filters and Custom filtering. which help the oil to last longer but still needs the filters changed and new oil added with oil tested too.

Here is what Mobil says about oil What is Synthetic Motor Oil But keep in mind Honda throws its additive package on the piston skirts. You can see they dropped the semi-synthetic line, which tells me that they use 2+ group oil now for their base oils.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oils
There are two basic types of engine oil available:
  1. Conventional mineral oil, the traditional engine oil and most widely used
  2. Synthetic motor oil , which is steadily gaining popularity among auto manufacturers and consumers

(There are also synthetic blend motor oils, which are a blend of synthetic oils and conventional mineral oils. Synthetic blend motor oils are also sometimes called “semi-synthetics”.)
Both types of engine oil are made from crude oil that comes from the ground. The difference is that synthetic oils undergo numerous additional highly-advanced distilling, refining, and purification

So much for calling one dino but not the other.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
A month ago they had semi synthetic. My point is motor craft 5w20 is semi-synthetic for cheaper than conventional.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Ive always used synthetic. First oil change and it will be changed over. Whats $10-$15 when your averaging 8k miles an oil change anyway.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Conventional Oil - Any comments?