2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Fit Window Tint Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Just had my fit tinted last week with 30% all the way around except for the windshield. I have quite a lot of small pinhead sized bubbles. What is the normal amount expected.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Got 35% Front and 15% all around. but it looks darker as hell! I think its because my car is black and the interior black, but i swear its hard to see through. Got it all done for $125 with life time warranty. I think im going in to get the passenger one fixed in a couple of days because of a small lint spot.
PM if youre around the pomona / ontario area if you want to know the place.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by clunker2fit
Just had my fit tinted last week with 30% all the way around except for the windshield. I have quite a lot of small pinhead sized bubbles. What is the normal amount expected.

Thanks
ZERO. A good quality job will look like factory tint. Some of the small bubbles may disappear over time, but if there is dust under the film, they will be there forever. It's possible that the film is of poor grade, or stored improperly. I hope you have a warranty on the installation.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I went with the Premium Window Tint
(2-Ply Scratch resistant metalized/dyed film)

Rear Windows and Hatch - 15%
Front Windows, the A pillars and strip behind the visors on windshield - 30%

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by trigeek3
ZERO. A good quality job will look like factory tint. Some of the small bubbles may disappear over time, but if there is dust under the film, they will be there forever. It's possible that the film is of poor grade, or stored improperly. I hope you have a warranty on the installation.
I'd say give it a month. I did my own tints, and on two of the windows I mistook the absolute clearness on application to mean they were done... only to find a handfull of small water bubbles under the tint. I waited the suggested time of several days to see if they would clear, but some remained, so I decided I'd just have to admit defeat and redo them when I got the chance. It's been a month now. They are gone. The tints look great! No problems.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry if this has been asked and answered ad-nauseum, but let's say I just want a no-hassle "50-state legal" tint job, from the rear seat back, that's similar to the factory tint available on most high-trim SUVs, minivans, and "crossovers". What percentage tint would I ask the shop to install in my Fit?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheGonagle
Sorry if this has been asked and answered ad-nauseum, but let's say I just want a no-hassle "50-state legal" tint job, from the rear seat back, that's similar to the factory tint available on most high-trim SUVs, minivans, and "crossovers". What percentage tint would I ask the shop to install in my Fit?
Same question here. Living in Georgia, my interest is less in appearance than in temperature -- what type of film offers the best heat control? I realize I could ask these questions at a tint shop, but I'd like to go in with a little bit of information.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by TheGonagle
usually 15%. You can do darker, but it will be a bitch to back up at night because you cant really see anything.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Does this mean 15% light transmission or 15% light filtering (i.e., 85% transmission)? The windows in the blue Fit in this thread look awfully dark.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:00 PM
15% tint means 15% of light gets through. 85% of light is blocked.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned
dude that's definately not universal in WI the darkest you can go legally is 35% in back...........if you want to be safe and be cooler (temp wise) just run 35% all around any darker and it really doesn't change much anyway, a friend of mine has 20% all around and his car is just as warm as mine on sunny days

Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
15% transmission is what I thought. As far as I can see, this much tint would be problematic in many states. 35% is probably OK, but 50% should be acceptable in all 50 states.

Ref: Tint Laws

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff:

3M™ Crystalline 40%

39% Visible Light Transmitted
59% Total Solar Energy Rejected
66% On Angle
97% Infrared Rejected
50% Solar Heat Reduction
6% Visible Light Reflection Int.
7% Visible Light Reflection Ext.
99.9% UV Rejected
56% Glare Reduction

Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned
i've never used it but SCC used it on their project Evo and loved it

Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
15% transmission is what I thought. As far as I can see, this much tint would be problematic in many states. 35% is probably OK, but 50% should be acceptable in all 50 states.
I think 70% is all you can have in PA (although we have the most confusing and contradictory laws of any state). 50% on the fronts should definitely keep you safe though. It is pretty light.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Here's mine, which I just had tinted last weekend and it's California legal. I had a local tint shop do Llumar ATC 5% rear side and back as well as a sun strip (which has made a ton of difference). I was initially worried about visibility with the "limo" tint, but I haven't had any problem even parallel parking on my dark street at night. It really helps out with the jacked up trucks who's lights used to blind me.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schmidty86
Well I am moving in a month from one tint Nazi state to another (California to Virginia). But as soon as I get to Virginia I plan on getting the 50% on all side windows and the strip on the top of the windshield and 35% on the back hatch, will post pics when I get it done....
You can get away with 35% all the way around in VA as long as you don't drive like an ass. I did for about 6 years in 2 different cars - a civic in which I got 2 speeding tickets and 2 separate exhaust tickets (1 received in Car-Nazi Northern VA) - and an RX-8 which would usually attract police attention.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Here's my fit right after the dealer ($160) finished tinting:

20% Suntek Carbon everywhere but windshield (legal in NM )

Was going to get the eyebrow on the windshield, but the service guy talked me out of it because he said it looked bad on Fits because they had to cut around the bubble matrix. Not sure how I feel about this... But I can always add it later.

The job is decent but it is kinda bubbly (should go away) and every window has at least a couple dust spots, some bigger than others (which I know wont go away, but hopefully becomes less visible ). It's probably not bad enough to deal with having it redone, but I'll take a thorough look at it in a month or so to make a more final decision. Out of all the things that can go wrong with a tint job, dust is probably my smallest concern.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
The darknest of the tint has very little to do with the amount of heat which is reflected. For heat reduction you want a metallic tint which will reflect heat. Dyed tints absorb heat and relies on the wind to cool the glass. The difference between heat transmission from 35% to 5% (light transmission) is only about 5%. In other words to cool your Fit you do not have to have a dark tint. In fact some very, very, light tints do a good job cooling the car. Do the research before you tint your car.

As for the windsheild strip, I had it down and I like it. A good tinter can go over the dot matrix by using a glue filler under the the tint.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Just had my Fit Clear Bra'd (actualy Venture Shield Film) and Tinted.

The guy said I could go 35% front to rear, but I decided that I'd rather stick to legal which is 50% front, 35% rear. He also did a windshield strip and it's probably 15% (it's definitely darker than any of the windows). I am very happy with it, but I definitely notice vehicles with much darker tint now.

On my install, there are a couple of small bubbles, but I was assured that these will "evaporate" in a week or so, or they'll fix the issues.

According to my shop, heat reflectivity is based on the type of film (metallic reflects more heat), and is not affected darkness of the tint.

I've noticed some people are worried about keeping it legal in more than their home state, and I kind of wonder about that. Has someone gotten a ticket for tint that was legal in their home state but wasn't in the state where they were driving (and assuming you weren't driving like an idiot cause I'm sure a cop would ticket you with anything they can if you do that).

Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I recently had my FIT tinted - 50% everywhere except windshield. I had a 6" strip of 20% tint put on the windshield. The strip went right over the bubble matrix and looks fine.

That's too bad about the dust. I didn't have any bubbles or dust anywhere on mine.

Quick Reply: 09 Fit Window Tint Thread