2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would it cost to upgrade to LED tail lights and JDM side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
man that is insanity what you are trying to do. just buy the stella Vs and call it a day.
this past few weeks I had been getting the modification virus,
and you are right, I think I am getting insane hahaha...
Stella Vs will look really nice, but for light I will only want OEM style...
that is what keeping me from buying that eXLED module...
I afraid their LED bulb "square" housing per bulb will not match the original OEM (UPPER LED Part), and their light intensity might be different too.

so when they light up, the LED from the UPPER part (OEM LED) will not match the color and intensity of the exLED lower module...

I think my best bet is the Depo light because the Depo light (at least from pictures) look to have a similar shape LED bulb "square housing per bulb...

I even already send an email to several light modification shop,
asking for custom modification so they can match the lower LED just like the upper LED, but nobody had reply yet...
maybe because they rather do the front projector light conversion then
the rear tailight conversion (less profitable)...

anyway, I think I should just let his one go...
and concentrate on other modification...

If I am not mistaken (from reading your other post yesterday), you are getting a MUGEN REAR LOWER Spoiler ?
are you getting the USDM one or the Infinity one?

and how about your front spoiler, are you going to get the Modulo front lips?
I am currently researching for body kit in Rakuten/Amazon JP etc etc hahaha

Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
aero kit still up in the air. definitely wishing/wanting them.

mugen means infinity i believe. i will probably get the mugen usdm rear and the mugen fit shuttle front, since they are direct bolt ons. i don't see any other kits that would fit the USDM rear aside from the jdp rear spoiler, unless you want to do a jdm rear conversion, and that would open up the world for you.

the modulo front lip is not worth it. its the same price as all the other front lip bumpers and you are essentially getting much less.

i don't know if im ready to dish out $1k after shipping and painting as of yet for the front and rear. i may dump the money into a subwoofer system. i like my tunes more and i have to keep reminding myself that i want a "sleeper." well not really a sleeper, since this car is slow anyway. i want it to look as much as "stock" as possible.

also try yahoo auctions japan. lots of used ge8 oem parts. also key in gp2/gg7/gg8, those are the model numbers for the fit shuttle hybrid and regular fit shuttle.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Which JDM GE8 LED tails do you have?

The ones JDM_DOHC had posted are the pre-MMC LED's.
something like this
Name:  DSCN1035.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  113.9 KB

You see the bottom section (it's not lighted, but there's a reflector in there....), so it's just a matter of drilling a hole for a socket.
Like this below:
Originally Posted by Jonny Black
a little of this

a little bit of that

and walla!!
from this CR-Z thread ---> little retro crx mod - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums )
The modded pre-MMC's that were posted (by JDM_DOHC SiR) the bottom section light was only lit when the headlights/parking lights were turned on. They were not dual-voltage like regular brake lights. I believe the Noblesse GE8 modded ones were top/bottom lit.

I haven't seen the 2012+ JDM LED tails... post up a pic when you get them. I don't see why those can't be modded the same way as long as you have some space to drill a hole.

As for cracking them open and putting an LED board.... good luck, as you mentioned it's not like headlights. Did you check out Rich over at HID Illuzions (sp?), they do tail light mods.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thank You for your reply and lots of pictures.
I see how it was done now, so basically he just drill and carve the bayonet
mounting on the rear plastic,
but I think it is not that easy to be done on mine because my Tail Light
Had this grey looking thinner plastic... at least I think it is not that thick as
the black rear plastic cover on the picture you had above... (The CR-Z tail light on the picture above)

I also don't think mine had a reflector either, take a look at the lower version (from the back side picture), it is rectangular in shape,
while the JDM tail light that had room for foglight had round bowl like a backing of a reflector...

so if I put LED on it, it won't matter and the light will look good,
but if I drill and put a regular (NON LED) bulb in it, the lighting might look funny since no round bowl reflector there...

This is the JDM (Thai Version) Tail Light that I had (latest version):

This is the picture ALREADY mounted on my car

This is the Rear Picture that I download from the seller ebay page:
Name:  31_3_zps8c66d131.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  54.0 KB

I already email Rich at HIDIlluzion since last weekend, using this email:
'retrofit@hidillusionz.com', but so far no reply yet.

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 03-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

here is the picture of the Taiwan LEFT Side only JDM tail light.(I copy this picture
from the DIY foglight page at fit freak.net)
notice the bottom lower part had round bowl like shaped ...
mine is not round like that on the bottom

Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
The backs of the lights I posted were CR-Z tails, (from the CR-Z forums) to basically show how the mod was done.

Mine (the pre-MMC JDM Honda LED tails), look pretty much the same as the ones you posted (with the light gray color on the back).
I was able to modify the bottoms just like in the CR-Z thread. I used a step drill till I got the right diameter hole, and then just notched out the tabs for the socket holder & a little dab of silicone for peace of mind.

I just mentioned the reflector as an FYI... but it looks like the new tails might have a reflector as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
The backs of the lights I posted were CR-Z tails, (from the CR-Z forums) to basically show how the mod was done.

Mine (the pre-MMC JDM Honda LED tails), look pretty much the same as the ones you posted (with the light gray color on the back).
I was able to modify the bottoms just like in the CR-Z thread. I used a step drill till I got the right diameter hole, and then just notched out the tabs for the socket holder & a little dab of silicone for peace of mind.

I just mentioned the reflector as an FYI... but it looks like the new tails might have a reflector as well.
Thanks again,

I will go down to my garage later today and get a closer look at my tail light then...
Glad to hear that the grey plastic is thick enough to hold the light socket.
I am currently looking at available brake light socket at autozone...
do you have any recommendation for brake light socket model ? (or tail light socket model)?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I bought mine from ebay... make sure it's a dual-voltage 7443 socket (the one with 3 wires for brake lights).

One more tip, after you drill you gotta remove all those little plastic shavings from the inside of the tail light housing...... An air compressor & shop vac helps a lot.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I bought mine from ebay... make sure it's a dual-voltage 7443 socket (the one with 3 wires for brake lights).

One more tip, after you drill you gotta remove all those little plastic shavings from the inside of the tail light housing...... An air compressor & shop vac helps a lot.
Wow Thanks so much for your prompt reply and help.
Really appreciate it

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Yah man, no prob... post up pics when you're done.

As for the JDM auto-fold mirrors, I got mine from ebay like ryu mentioned... The seller color matches too... great pricing!

Now that it's getting warmer I can finally install them.