2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The official Honda Navi Hackers Challenge Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
The official Honda Navi Hackers Challenge Thread!

Ok, I have to say the Navi has to be my favorite part of the car. Next to the awsome mpg! It's not top of the line by any means, no Blue tooth for example, hey ...it's an econo box, but there ARE some simple things that are missing that I believe could be resolved with some simple hacks by a savy programmer.

Like... The nag screen.
I understand there is already a hack out there to remove this, and even change the splash screen. Cool hack, but I think we can do better.

How about like .... Things I miss from my Street pilot GPS

A gps digital speed display.
It already shows you miles and time left on your route. so it MUST be already calculating speed. Why not display it?

Altitude
Just a cool feature from my street pilot.

Fulltime breadcrumbs..
So you can retrace your steps.

Maybe an alternate voice option? (although the current one is already pretty sweet. )

And maybe even... hey! The navi is driven by a DVD! Ya know.... a DVD PLAYER?

I'm of course just thinking out loud here and maybe these things are not even possible... but if they are?

Hence the challenge..

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Retired Moderator
How come i thought it had Bluetooth? Are you sure it doesnt. You pay almost 2k for a Nav option, and it doesnt even offer Bluetooth?
Also, it doesnt play DVDs even while parked with the E-Brake engaged? I thought it did that too?
Weird. Pionner unit, costs 800$, with a Bluetooth, and plays DVDs..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm a bit diasppointed with the Fit's navi. I was surprised to learn that Honda stripped out satellite radio and bluetooth from the Civic's nav system. Also, the system only calls out major streets (highways, etc) by name, which is a mild annoyance, especially since this feature can be had on a $200 Garmin. I realize the Fit's navi is bundled with VSA and steering wheel mounted audio controls, but for nearly $2k I think it should have bluetooth and satellite. I was speaking with a client at American Honda, and he metioned that next year's Fit will probably have steering wheel controls standard on the Sport, plus, VSA as either a stand-alone option (possibly standard in a couple years). Moreover, he stated that next year's navi will likely see the addition of bluetooth and/or satellite. He explained that Honda always holds back a few goodies when launching a completely redesigned vehicle, so as to have something new the following year.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Nope.. no Bluetooth. Not unless I'm missing someting.. But I don't believe I am. I also tried your DVD trick ..no dice.

And I'm sure there are other features people would like to see as well..

I think some of these features can be "unlocked' so to speak with some software mods..

Hence the challenge ...

Last edited by Hipshot; 10-02-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Silly Monkey
I was speaking with a client at American Honda, and he metioned that next year's Fit will probably have steering wheel controls standard on the Sport, plus, VSA as either a stand-alone option (possibly standard in a couple years). Moreover, he stated that next year's navi will likely see the addition of bluetooth and/or satellite.
Next year next year... of course everything will be perfect next year, but I can't wait another year w/ no car at all. Not having a car in New York City is smart, but elsewhere it's a nightmare. Besides I know that next year I will crave for new stuff, so the wishlist is never ending. I can choose to wait forever or just get a car NOW and use it. I really wish I have a car now, but I still have 2 weeks to wait for my orange sport to arive. By then, God help me get a loan!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
Next year next year... of course everything will be perfect next year, but I can't wait another year w/ no car at all. Not having a car in New York City is smart, but elsewhere it's a nightmare. Besides I know that next year I will crave for new stuff, so the wishlist is never ending. I can choose to wait forever or just get a car NOW and use it. I really wish I have a car now, but I still have 2 weeks to wait for my orange sport to arive. By then, God help me get a loan!
I had to laugh at your post, as I feel the same way. Whether it's a car, computer, gps or whatever, each year these things get better, faster, cheaper. I, like you, am not willing to wait a year (or longer) just to get a few more bells and whistles. Would I love to have VSA and audio controls in a non-navi Sport, sure, but not enough to wait. And, as with everything in life, there's no guarantees that these (or other) features will even show up. Enjoy your new RO Fit. BTW, this loan thing's becoming a bit scary for everyone. Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
My friend has an Acura with Navi and he is using a hacked disc to show all kinds of info. Detailed info on fuel economy, temps, rpms, etc. Very cool. I'm kinda wishin' I had gotten the Fit with Navi.

Oh well. I may wait til next year. I may sell my Yaris and hopefuly they will have the glass roof option then! Glass roof with Navi!!!! What a combo!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by HarrisonGreeleyIII
My friend has an Acura with Navi and he is using a hacked disc to show all kinds of info. Detailed info on fuel economy, temps, rpms, etc. Very cool. I'm kinda wishin' I had gotten the Fit with Navi.

Oh well. I may wait til next year. I may sell my Yaris and hopefuly they will have the glass roof option then! Glass roof with Navi!!!! What a combo!
Info on this disk? I have an 09 TSX and am interested in this.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, I've done some digging into this navi thing... the good news is there is a trip computer buried in the honda navi systems.

The bad news is that it is BURIED in the navi system. Disabled by honda to "save face" so to speak. Apparently it is not as accurate as they would like to see it so to avoid complaints..its gone.

There have been attempts to activate it, some were successful in the earlier Alpine versions, but I know of no one that has pulled it off in the Fit versions yet. Who knows... maybe someday soon some genius hacker will pull it off for us! Hence this thread... Until then... here's some cool stuff I found

I did learn alot! There are some things you CAN find in what it referred to as a diagnostic mode.

There you will find all kinds of cool stuff. The GPS area is really neat! Gives you satellite info, Altitude , etc. long, lat info, etc. Go a little deeper and I found GPS speed info compass heading, etc.

Disclamer... I am NOT responsible for anything that may go wrong with your nav system. You are in a diagnostic mode. If you don't feel safe pushing a button DON'T DO IT!!! Even "I" didn't go to some places!

Ok the details.. .to get there, once your navi system is running, hold the MAP/MENU/CANCEL buttons down together for 5 seconds. Then you got 2 choices. Use the lower detail one.

Go in to the gps area you will see the satellite info. Once you are there , hold the menu button down for 2 seconds and it will give you more details including gps speed a compass headings.

Be sure to back all the way out before you shut down or I believe it will stay in the diagnostic mode til you do.

There are lots of other stuff in there as well but as always ... enter at your own risk.

Enjoy...

Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM
say you totally mess it up is there a way to reset back to all OEM settings?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yes... From what I read you can put in the origional DVD and reload it from the diagnostic menus..

And if you TOTALLY hose it and you cannot do ANYTHING... disconnect the neg post of your battery for 30 min and reconnect with the origional DVD in. Just be sure to have your radio code handy to unlock it.

I haven't done it but thats what I read.. Have fun!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
i honestly dont remember how i did it, but on my 2006 pilot i had honda navi, and i was able to change the picture of the boot screen. i remember there were two programs i downloaded from the acura forum. (i think)
the diagnostic mode is cool, anyways the background picture has to be a bmp image, . you burn a Cd, and put that in the nav drive, then turn the car on, then it loads, then you take out the cd and put the dvd back in. and the picture is there whenever you start the car.
i have the programs on my work computer, on monday i can post the names of them. or even email them to whoever wants if you pm me.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
So who thinks they can break the code and enable the trip computer?

Who's up to the challenge?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Tagged for interest...

Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
i'll throw $$ into a pot if someone cracks this.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by barams
i'll throw $$ into a pot if someone cracks this.
How much...???!!..?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
How much...???!!..?
Why do U ask?

Do U think U can actually pull it off? Cause I'll toss in a little too for a good crack!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
That might be a good idea, a reward for the hacker who can free up the features. Bluetooth, DVD player, etc..

if all else fails I wonder if any of these units on this page would work??http://www.honda.co.jp/navi/freed/

Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
i think if people threw in a few bucks it would make it worthwhile to the person finding this hack. of course this hack would have a safety feature where if all goes to hell you can revert back to factory settings.

few bucks as in 5-20 per person....

Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Quick Reply: The official Honda Navi Hackers Challenge Thread!