2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorting Folders and Files on USB Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I did a ton of research on this, and found a few leads, but in the end nothing did what you (and I) are looking for. It seems there is more to it than just a formatted file structure... if you find anything let us know. I had no success.

Originally Posted by minminmusic
i'm wondering then if anyone might know of some software or a way of setting up the drive to trick the head unit into thinking the an attached flash or hard drive is actually an ipod?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
The major difference between the iPod and a Flash drive in the Fit (and with most vehicles that support iPods) is that when you plug in the Flash Drive, the Stereo reads the MP3/WMA files on the Flash drive and plays them. When an iPod is hooked up, the iPod is handling all of the file management and playing, and receiving commands from (and sending audio to) the stereo. The Difference is the capability of file/tag management and also the ability to play iTunes DRM protected content.

~SB

Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Nice thread! Its a major PITA to listen to audiobooks with like 300+ tracks if they all end up in a different order
Can't wait to see if this helps.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
i just gave up the other day.. i went ahead and just thru my ipod back in...

It seems like i can ONLY get the songs to play in the order they were added, but the folders.. i used numbers.. letters... creation dates, and none of the folders are in the order i want it to be.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
You could try to run a disk defragment the drive. It may re-sort everything for you. Not sure if it will do the trick or not though.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Well I gave up on trying to get folders to work properly on my usb flash drive. Its not the end of the world, sorting by artist is much more important than having the albums in separate folders. With a couple hundred albums on there scrolling through an enormous list to find an artist just was not realistic. Instead I pushed up all the songs out of the album directories, removed the now empty directories and set the modify time stamp to the same on all files. The last stuff is fairly easy to do if you use bsd or linux (or mac which is bsd based):

from within an artist directory,
mv */* ./ ; rm blank.mp3 ; cd ../NEXTDIRECTORYTOCHANGE ;
will push all the individual files up into the artist folder from the album folders

from the top level directory,
find . -exec touch {} \;
will reset the modified dates to the current date/time
and
find . -depth -type d -empty -exec rmdir {} ';'
will remove all the now empty album directories

if you are not at least a little familiar with unix you are probably best off avoiding this lest you mess up your system or put your files someplace weird.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
sorry, you can leave out the 'rm blank.mp3' bit - at one point I had been using those to make sure the directory name showed up.

note I have all my ID3 tags set up properly so no problem getting album info while the song is playing

Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justintime
OK folks, here is the best solution I have found to help automate the process of copying files to a USB drive and have them displayed on the Honda player in a reasonable fashion, and in order.

It involved two steps: First you use Mp3tag tool to rename the folders and files automatically. It's a ONE CLICK process, assuming your MP3 files have proper ID3 tags. Second, you use a FAT sorter tool such as DriveSort to have the entire ThumbDrive (USB drive) internal structure sorted alphabetically, so it properly displays in order on the Honda player.

Steps:
1) Download Mp3tag from here: Mp3tag - der universelle Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)
2) DO NOT OPERATE ON YOUR ORIGINAL MP3 FILES EVER! THIS PROCESS WILL RENAME ALL YOUR FILES!!!
So: Create a folder called "HONDA" for example, on your PC, and make a copy of all the MP3 files you want in your player. It doesn't matter if you copy several folders within folder etc. BUT DO NOT OPERATE ON YOUR ORIGINAL FILES!
3) Drag the HONDA folder onto the Mp3tag window. It will list all the files.
4) Select all files in the list by hitting ctrl-A. It should highlite all files in the list.
4) Select "Convert-> Tag-Filename" from the menu (hit Alt-1)
5) Now use this conversion string (copy/paste):
\CONVERTED\$ansi($trim($left($regexp(%artist%,^The ,),6))-$left(%album%,6)\$num(%track%,2)-%title%)
6) Just grab resulting files from C:\Converted, and copy to your thumbdrive.
7) Use Anerty's Lair - DriveSort to force file structure to sort alphabetically.

Hope this helps.
Great directions. Only issue I am having is that my 64GB USB drive is formatted in exFAT and DriveSoft will not recognize it. Any suggestions? I ran MP3tag successfully, got half way there and am at a stand-still.

I'm thinking about just running this simple application and changing the modified date on all my 3,000 files to exactly the same thing: SetFileDate 2.0

Last edited by StinklePink; 12-18-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Formatting 64GB USB Drive: UNSUPPORTED

Alright....it goes on.

So I reformatted my 64GB exFAT drive and I started getting the dreaded 'UNSUPPORTED' message on the head unit when I plugged it in. I didn't see it the first time and everything on the drive worked, but not after a deep format. Seems like the Honda head unit will only recognize a FAT32 format.

The issue is that some of these USB Drives bigger than 32GB come in this new file structure started by Microsoft with the release of Vista (exFAT) and not everything recognizes it. On WIN7 there is no option to format the drive in any way other than NTFS or exFAT, neither of which will work in the car.

I found this HP utility that the formatting of a drive to FAT32: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3

Its small, FREE and it works.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
2 things worked for me

I use mediamonkey (long time with a Sansa Clip player but it died just before I got my 2012 Fit - and now I don't need one, at least, not for the car).

First thing to do is to add the track number to the filenames. You don't need to do this for your original files ... there are many reasons you may not want to. But for the USB in the Fit, it's worthwhile, and mediamonkey can just change those if you like.

Select all music files on the USB. Right click, Auto-organize, use this track# mask: <Track#:2>
in front of the - <Title>

Hit OK.

Second, re-sort the files on the USB using the instructions earlier in this thread by JamesBond007:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post751628

It worked for me!

A couple notes:

I have more than 100 albums and it seems that the Fit stereo only goes to 99 or 100. But it cycles through again if you keep rotating the selection knob, so I think all is there and all is good.

After removing the USB from my computer, I did end up with duplicates of every song in my MM library. However, by removing the USB drive link under "Location" those greyed-out songs disappeared from the listing.

I'm very happy that this shortcoming in design can so easily be fixed, because a few of my albums are NOT meant to be listened to in random or alphabetical order! They are concept albums which progress ... e.g., Quadrophenia or 21st Century Breakdown.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I have been using this program FatSorter (for Windows) to reorder the files on a FAT32 formatted drive so they come up alphabetically. Just run it after you copy files to your USB drive and it sorts them out pretty quickly.

Story: FAT Sorter v1.0.4 - Fenux.Net

I tried DriveSort, but it's old and works slow on Win7.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by rawnickel
I have been using this program FatSorter (for Windows) to reorder the files on a FAT32 formatted drive so they come up alphabetically. Just run it after you copy files to your USB drive and it sorts them out pretty quickly.

Story: FAT Sorter v1.0.4 - Fenux.Net

I tried DriveSort, but it's old and works slow on Win7.
Yup I use Fat Sorter as well. Worked for me on my 16gb drive.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Wow. Today is day one with my new (used) 2009 Fit Sport. Was looking forward to using the USB feature. What a bummer to read about this turrible implementation. I guess I am not even going to bother with the thumb drive, because I have 100s of GBs of music to pick from, all very excruciatingly organized, so many weeks worth of my life wasted ripping, tagging, accidentally mucking up, re-tagging, fudging, drive crashing, re-ripping, re-tagging, playlist-making.... NO MORE! I refuse to deal with this nonsense for one second longer.

So that was meant to be read tongue-in-cheek, rather than 'lunatic tirade' fashion, but still I'm completely serious. I will just stick with the tried and true "plug my phone into the aux input" method, which works fine, and has the added bonus of letting me use my stereo as a hands-free speakerphone. Damn you Honda!!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 AM
For OS X Users

For Mac OS X users there is a freeware utility called "Hidden Cleaner 2.1". 1st create a folder on your desktop, lets name it "Honda". 2nd create folders (create the folders in the order you want them to appear on your stereo's display for your albums in this folder (unfortunately the USB interface can only read one folder down. This means that is if you have folders on your USB stick with artists and than within those folders you have albums, the USB interface will ignore the artists folders and read only the albums folder which contain your files). When you have completed copying the files (.mp3, .m4a, .aac, etc) to your folders, drag the folder "Honda" on top of the "Hidden Cleaner 2.1" application icon. This application will remove all of the hidden files that OS X puts on your USB stick which appear as "unplayable file" on the display of your stereo. It's quick and a lot less time consuming than playing around in the Terminal and weeding out unplayable files.

Last edited by iujock; 04-27-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by rlevine
this can't be the way it sorts. i mean, it seems to make sense compared to what is happening, but it just seems like an impractical way to order songs/folders. that means if i want any particular organization i have to make sure to add them to my drive in that order. and if i want to add a new folder to the middle somewhere, i have to remove everything after and then re-add it. that would be a seriously tedious exercise.
here's to hoping that this is not true, or that there is a way to change it...any one know?

perhaps i'll contact honda.

thanks.
randy
oh contraire mon frère
The problem is almost always Microsoft, if people would stop using it we could stop having stupid ignorant problems like this one.

Keep in mind that Windows is a 64bit extension with a 32 bit graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

I use ubuntu and have never run across any problems other than a rare occasional hardware compatibility. Chrome works great to and if you use gmail then you never have to buy or worry about Microsoft Office again, it's free with gmail and it's call google drive

Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by rr1024
oh contraire mon frère
The problem is almost always Microsoft, if people would stop using it we could stop having stupid ignorant problems like this one.

Keep in mind that Windows is a 64bit extension with a 32 bit graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

I use ubuntu and have never run across any problems other than a rare occasional hardware compatibility. Chrome works great to and if you use gmail then you never have to buy or worry about Microsoft Office again, it's free with gmail and it's call google drive
1) Microsoft has nothing to do with this problem. If you copy files to a flash drive in Linux in the wrong order they'll play back in the wrong order as well. Using fatsort fixes it.

2) What does Chrome/Gmail/Office/Google Drive have to do with any of this at all?

3) I can't stand that whole "32-bit/16-bit" copy-paste garbage. I've been using Linux for years and people posting that blurb with "I USE LINUX" makes the rest of us look bad.