2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS and Tire PSI > 33

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
TPMS and Tire PSI > 33

I have a 2009 Fit. I read the manual.. it seems that the TPMS sensor is factory set to gauge the tires at 33 PSI. Is that true? I wanted to set my tires to 40 PSI but wanted the TPMS system to monitor the tire pressure assuming 40 PSI is 'normal'. Is there any way to do that on the Fit (there is on my girlfriend's Corolla).

Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM
why would you want to set your Tire pressure at 40 if it says 33.?

and i would not recommend to run higher TP if manual state 33.

and to answer to your question no there is no way of setting the tpms to 40.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Higher psi = better mileage, but I don't run that high (36f, 33r). However, be aware that if you blow out a tire they're kind of hard to replace:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hard-find.html

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
tire pressure

It is clear that you folks do not read some other threads on this forum. In the EcoFit thread, where amazing gas mileage is being obtained daily...like 45, 50, 55, and 60 mpg, most people are running their tires much higher than 33 psi.

The monitoring system looks for low pressure, and warns you about it. It is not looking for high pressure.

On your tire sidewall, it shows the max pressure (cold) is to be 51 psi. I have been running mine at 45 psi now for 3 months. Both my wife and I like the ride we get, and there is no chance of harming the tire.

Without doing much Hypermiling....we drive mostly in town, or up and down very high mountains here in NM....and we are getting over 40 mpg all the time. Our most recent tank was 44.2 mpg. Some day, on a longer trip, we will definitely achieve a 45 mpg run, but not yet.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 PM
High psi will get you better mileage, but you'll also be wearing the tread down faster down the middle so your savings are offset by premature wear. Also, given the crappy state of our roads (California's at least), a tire with higher psi is more likely to blow when hitting a pothole than a lower psi tire.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM
The max pressure for my tire is listed as 44 psi on the tire. It seems I'm the only one, since everybody else is listing 33 or 51. Do Honda Fits come with different tires depending on the dealer or something?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
all tires have different PSI depending on the model and brand, but recommended Tire Pressure for Honda 2009 FIT is 33. I keep it at 33. if you open your driver side door you will see the PSI which will say 33psi for front and rear.

Originally Posted by SomberResplendence
The max pressure for my tire is listed as 44 psi on the tire. It seems I'm the only one, since everybody else is listing 33 or 51. Do Honda Fits come with different tires depending on the dealer or something?

Last edited by jdmgpw04; 10-17-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm also getting my tires filled with Nitrogen. Does anybody else have Nitrogen in their tires, and what are your thoughts?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Driving Under Pressure: Editorial & Features at Officer.com

THIS MIGHT GIVE A LITTLE UPDATE ON THOSE WHO ALWAYS FOLLOW THE RULES AND STAY IN THE LITTLE BOX OF LIFE...WHILE IT MAY BE SAFE THERE SOMETIMES BETTER OPTIONS THAN WHAT THE RULES STATE...THUNDER...YOUR OPINION MAY VARY

Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Tire Pressure

Hi Fit Freakers,

That previous article quoted 'The tires will not balloon out creating a peak in the center portion of the tread when tire pressure is above 35 psi. There is a steel belt that prevents this from happening. Also, you are not overstressing the tire with higher pressure, and the tire will not be forced off the rim with higher pressure.'

The manual that states 33 psi is designed for max comfort...it makes sense that the Honda people want max comfort....as mentioned, we have been driving ours at 45 psi for 3 months, and feel much more control in corners. The folks over on EcoFit have also demythed the quick wear myth....it seems that the steel belt has changed that many years ago.

About the pressure monitoring system......they do not install it on Canadian Fits, because the cold weather there in winter would send off the 'low pressure' alarm too often.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh no.... not the whole factory recommended PSI VS higher PSI debate again... hahaha
there is a ton of info on the ecofit forum... too many variables (driving style, braking, weather, road condition) to definitively say which way is better... just read the info, and draw your own conclusions..

as for the OP's question, TPMS is set to report anything under 33... I am not sure if there is an 'easy' way to reprogram it...

Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by cruzitude
High psi will get you better mileage, but you'll also be wearing the tread down faster down the middle so your savings are offset by premature wear. Also, given the crappy state of our roads (California's at least), a tire with higher psi is more likely to blow when hitting a pothole than a lower psi tire.
Yes. False economy. The reduction in rolling resistance due to a smaller contact patch and reduced sidewall flex is minimal. Driving habits have a vastly more important role.

My opinion is if you're so desperate for that last few MPG and are thus willing to compromise tire wear and safety for it, you bought the wrong car.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by OrangeRevolution
Yes. False economy. The reduction in rolling resistance due to a smaller contact patch and reduced sidewall flex is minimal. Driving habits have a vastly more important role.

My opinion is if you're so desperate for that last few MPG and are thus willing to compromise tire wear and safety for it, you bought the wrong car.
I agree 100%! I am also in favour of using the tire placard on the door jamb that Honda engineers spent enourmous money to come up with the proper numbers. I am not against slightly modifying those numbers based on some research and devlopement. For instance use a tire pyrometer to measure tire temps across the tread in at least three spots and determine proper pressure from there. For the most part the numbers on the door are the best to follow.

As for the original question...yes you can adjust the tpms threshold using the HDS scan tool to a different number. I have not tried doing this on any customer cars yet as no one has requested it so I am not sure how much room for adjustment there actually is but I know there is a menu to do it.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by CRXsi#32
yes you can adjust the tpms threshold using the HDS scan tool to a different number.
Cool! Thanks for the info! Next question would be if my local dealer would be willing to change it