2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Disable ABS? (ice driving, please help!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Banned
P.S TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS TO SHUT OFF THE ABS. Say something happens and you get in an accident no matter what it is. When and if the Insurance wants to check the computer and see that the ABS was intentionally off at the time of the accident. They will just go home and drop the case. Even more so if its taken out of the car all together. Just an FYI. So be careful! Ice glide in a pk lot where there are no obstructions or be sure to be in control when out of control hhaha.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
hey that's good to know~

and I have a confession to make... I took my other family cars, a corolla and civic, on the same road going at the same speed and tried to stop ....it indeed was slightly longer than my Fit with ABS.....my tail did swing a bit but still maintainable by steering into the skid.

in fact, now i feel like if I really have to avoid an obstacle in front of me, at least I now have the option to steer away from it with ABS~!

I guess the first sensation of having the brake released and applied rapidly by a computer gave me doubt on whether it was a good thing or not.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Also to note, when looking for snow tires, typically you want them a lot thinner than your regular tires, so if you can't find anything in 185, that's because you'll typically want something smaller than that.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Does removing the spare tire disable it like in other cars I've driven with ABS in the past? If not, it could be kinda scary to run on that donut for a couple days until you have time to replace the tire.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by jcm
I just bought a 2009 Fit Sport M/T and I am very pleased with it. However, I live in Alaska, and ABS on ice is quite possibly one of the worst things I have ever experienced. I have been up here for a little over two years and have not had ABS at all. Even at a small stop light by my house the ABS kicks in violently only an inch down the pedal. This drastically increases my stopping distances, almost dragging me in to traffic at speeds as low as 5mph.

I have been told I can disable the ABS by simply removing the fuse. Looking at the owner's manual I notice there are 3 fuses for the ABS. Two of which are located in the interior fuse box. One is simply labeled "ABS/VSA" the other is "ABS/VSA FSR" what is FSR? And finally, the third is in the under-hood box containing the fuse for the motor.

Do I need to remove all of these in order to disable the ABS safely? I do not want to remove the motor, as I would probably like to have it back in the dry season. Will this cause any damage to the vehicle? Can it be recognized once I put the fuses back in (warranty voided)?
I drive on ice for 6-7 months of the year and I have zero trouble with ABS.
Why would you want to give up the ability to steer while braking?
Maybe you need to practice a bit more on a deserted stretch of road. If ABS cuts in you are dragging a wheel and you need to learn some threshold braking.