2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD compatibility with VSC system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:41 PM
LSD compatibility with VSC system?

Hey all,

I recently noticed that Cusco already has (1 way / 1.5 way) Limited-slip differentials for the JDM GE8 (not sure of USDM compatibility) and I was curious if the VSC (vehicle stability control) system in my Fit Sport w/ Navi would cause any problems if I installed a LSD. I reasoned that the LSD's action might confuse the VSC system's sensors, err something. So I'm wondering if the two things (LSD & VSC) are mutually exclusive or not. If anyone with more drivetrain knowledge that me could chime in, that'd be fantastic. I've been asking around to various vendors, but I haven't gotten a concrete answer yet...

BTW, Cusco's part number for their 1-Way LSD is "LSD 386 F"

Cheers,

Baz

'09 TW Fit Sport "RS" / Navi

Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
My initial impression is that it would work with VSA. VSA monitors wheel spin/speed, yaw angle/rate, vehicle speed, steering wheel angle, throttle input. If the LSD keeps two wheels from spinning as much in relation to one another, this will simply give such data to the VSA system. The system will still use the measured yaw of the car, speed inputs, steering wheel angle, throttle input to make a determination as to the most efficient use of any or all brakes to attempt to get the vehicle to travel along the intended path. I don't think a mechanical LSD would interfere. It's not like you are electronically tapping in and feeding bad data to the VSA system or something. I don't know, just a thought.

Instead of asking a LSD vendor, I'd find out who designed the Honda VSA system and ask those engineers whether in principle a mechanical LSD would interfere. Heck, email BOSCH or Continental Teves or someone like that. I wouldn't mention Honda in specific, just ask about general principle and see what they say.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
If the LSD keeps two wheels from spinning as much in relation to one another, this will simply give such data to the VSA system. The system will still use the measured yaw of the car, speed inputs, steering wheel angle, throttle input to make a determination as to the most efficient use of any or all brakes to attempt to get the vehicle to travel along the intended path. I don't think a mechanical LSD would interfere. It's not like you are electronically tapping in and feeding bad data to the VSA system or something. I don't know, just a thought.
I know that there's no electronic interference (as the LSD is only a bolt-in mechanical device) but I somehow expected that the action of the LSD would somehow confuse the VSA (I misrepresented this as 'VSC') system's wheel slip sensors. I reasoned that the engagement of the VSA system (braking certain wheels, cutting power) would be faster and more sensitive that the mechanical engagement of the LSD. Again, this is all conjecture, but I'm trying to rule out any potential gotchas. Thanks for your help and the tips for further info... much appreciated!

Cheers,

Baz

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Retired Moderator
An LSD will work with VSA.. you`ll be fine

Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 AM
My Si works fine w/ VSA and limited slip =D

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Awesome news... thanks for the help guys!

Now on to figure out how to spec out an LSD and figure out which angle of activation to choose and so on. Any ideas?

-Baz

'09 TW Fit Sport w/ Navi

Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Question bump for any update

Did you ever install the LSD?