2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How sensitive is the keyless entry "alarm" on the Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 AM
How sensitive is the keyless entry "alarm" on the Sport?

The one that comes with the Sport.

Does the alarm go off ONLY when a door is opened or the ignition is started?

Can I wash my car without having to unlock the doors?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 AM
the one that comes with the sport is not really a system more like a cant turn me on with out the key push the lock button and walk away that's all really, you can kick the crap out of the fit and no sound well come out unless the door is locked and you try the key w(in the ignition) with out opening the doors first

Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM
The alarm that comes with the sport is not very sensitive but there's an optional alarm that you can get when you buy the Fit which is a dealer installed called KARR but that was offered in the GD's and I'm not sure if those were offered in the GE's.

The alarm goes on when you open the door if someone tries to force the door to open.

Yes you can wash your car without unlocking the doors.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
The dealer told me that there is not an alarm at all. It just prevents a thief from starting it without an authenic key. I have a sport btw.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by patm95
The dealer told me that there is not an alarm at all. It just prevents a thief from starting it without an authentic key. I have a sport btw.
Are you sure? That sucks for the '09's if that's true. You can always get alarms better that the OEM's .

I know the GD's have alarms because I did some tests on how to set it off.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
The dealer told me that there is not an alarm at all. It just prevents a thief from starting it without an authenic key. I have a sport btw.
From the (online) manual - 'on sport model'.
"Once the security system is set,
opening any door, the tailgate, or the
hood without using the key or the
remote transmitter, will cause it to
alarm. It also alarms if the radio is
removed from the dashboard or the
wiring is cut."

It doesn't look like it has broken glass or bump detection but does cover the doors, tailgate and hood... activates automatically after 15 seconds.

Can someone with a US printed version of the manual, page 193, confirm this. Still waiting, maybe next week!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
If that's the case what's that Panic button on the alarm activate?

I'm going to have to try this tomorrow because I'm curious...but on my previous car, to set off the alarm, all I had to do was roll down the driver's window, lock the door and then reach in from the outside to open the door using the inside door handle.

The alarm should sound.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned
Well my 2007 Sport was sleeping when a wanker decided to lay a four foot key mark on the passenger side doors.

Useless alarm other than to stop theft of the car, reduced my auto insurance when I mentioned the alarm from Honda. Seemed a big deal to the insurance people.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
they should make a tilt sensor as they do on my cooper-s. then probably less
people will get their factory wheels stolen.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
then probably less
people will get their factory wheels stolen.
Good reminder. Must get some wheel locks. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pharmpk
From the (online) manual - 'on sport model'.
"Once the security system is set,
opening any door, the tailgate, or the
hood without using the key or the
remote transmitter, will cause it to
alarm. It also alarms if the radio is
removed from the dashboard or the
wiring is cut."

It doesn't look like it has broken glass or bump detection but does cover the doors, tailgate and hood... activates automatically after 15 seconds.

Can someone with a US printed version of the manual, page 193, confirm this. Still waiting, maybe next week!!!
Here's all of page 193 in the US manual for 2009:

On Sport Model
The security system helps to protect your vehicle and valuables from theft. The horn sounds and a combination of headlights, parking/side marker lights and taillights flashes if someone attempts to break into your vehicle or remove the audio unit. This alarm continues for 2 minutes, then the system resets. To reset an activated system before the 2 minutes have elapsed, unlock the driver's door with the key or the remote transmitter.

The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood, and the tailgate. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors and the tailgate from the outside with the key, driver's lock tab, door lock master switch, or remote transmitter. The security system indicator on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.

One the security system is set, opening any door, the tailgate, or the hood without using the key or the remote transmitter, will cause it to alarm. It also alarms if the radio is removed from the dashboard or the wiring is cut.

The alarm will also be activated if a passenger inside the locked vehicle turns the ignition switch on.

The security system will not set if the hood, tailgate, or any door is not fully closet. If the system will not set, check the door and tailgate open indicator on the instrument panel (see page 62) to see if the doors and tailgate are fully closed. Since it is not part of the monitor display, manually check the hood.

NOTE: To see if the system is set after you exit the vehicle, press the LOCK button on the remote transmitter within 5 seconds. If the system is set, the horn will beep once.

Do not attempt to alter this system or add other devices to it.
-----

Hope that helps!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Since the factory 'alarm' on the GD doesn't really do anything, I had a shock sensor put in. If the car is hit or tapped the horn will sound, and the sensor level can be adjusted.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Since the factory 'alarm' on the GD doesn't really do anything, I had a shock sensor put in. If the car is hit or tapped the horn will sound, and the sensor level can be adjusted.
That sounds good. What did that cost? And any other details would be useful.

I had something in my old car that was so sensitive and annoying that I had it disconnected. If I looked at the car from a distance, the alarm would go off. I HATE it when people's alarms go off from just a passing truck. Or a leaf falling.

Actual car contact alarm would be excellent. If someone bangs into my car with their car bumper, their car door, their shopping cart, or their kid's head, I want the alarm to go off.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I had a local installer upgrade the alarm to a Viper CANBUS OEM Security Upgrade System

"Keep the keyless entry remote controls that came with your vehicle and add state of the art anti-theft security protection against thieves and vandals! These systems are ideal for new car purchasers who want to protect their vehicle investment with a state-of-the-art security system while retaining the remote controls that came with the vehicle. All CANBUS OEM Security Upgrade Systems feature the famous Stinger® DoubleGuard® shock sensor, which detects and differentiates between light impacts and actual intrusion attempts, which trigger the powerful Revenger® 6-Tone Siren." They also will sell this without the siren so it uses your 2 car horns.

They list for $229 but I have found that most alarm places sell it for less including the install.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
dont forget to tell your insurance Co. save some BANK

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
dont forget to tell your insurance Co. save some BANK
Check with the insurance company BEFORE installing. It can depend on the location of the vehicle AND the insurance company itself.

Glossary of terms:
Car Insurance Glossary - Terms Like Passive Alarm, Waiver, Gap, Rental Coverage & More

Basic insurance info that also describes a few common discounts:
CarBuyingTips.com guide to auto insurance, scams to avoid

This talks about Austin, TX, but also mentions the differences between auto-armed and manually-armed alarms:
Austin Auto Insurance - 10 Powerful Vehicle Safety & Security Discounts

Again with the two kinds of alarms/security:
Insurance Discounts For Passive Alarm Systems | Home Security Information, Systems & Products, Safety Tips

The main point is that the above say "some companies..." Some companies give discounts for this thing, others don't. Some companies require additional protection for the discount, others don't.

If you are in a high risk area with a high risk car, you'll pay more for insurance. And the chances of discounts for the various security devices are better.

Factor into the cost of the alarm the discount AND the "what do I do now?" problem if your car or even the wheels are stolen.

How much is your time worth, when it's inconvenient? If you don't have a car, you may be stuck, unable to get to work right away. How many hours do you lose and what's that going to cost?

How long will it take to fill out paperwork, with the insurance company? And the police department? How much will it cost for a cab or a rental car?

Put those costs together along with the potential risk of your area, as well as any discounts, and then decide.

Plus, look out for each other. Pay attention to what is going on in your area. Look for suspicious activity. Look for cars/trucks/vans that don't belong. Look for evidence of broken car windows on the streets. People living in their vehicles. People loitering that you've never seen.

And then call it in to your local non-emergency police dispatch.

You CAN make a difference in your area. And you looking out for others, that helps them and helps you. Someone's car might not get stolen or vandalized because YOU were paying attention. And that could well mean that the people who do these crimes will NOT be returning to your area, meaning YOUR car is saved too.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
good point TeffetaWhite i kinda did jump the gun on that one i have USAA(military) and as of now the FIT is not a high risk car and its a gas sipper saved tons on that one but the way i see it is, if you can get one(system) than do, some protection is better than none i do not have one yet but well get one after im done with my car setup

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
good point TeffetaWhite i kinda did jump the gun on that one i have USAA(military) and as of now the FIT is not a high risk car and its a gas sipper saved tons on that one but the way i see it is, if you can get one(system) than do, some protection is better than none i do not have one yet but well get one after im done with my car setup
You're fine! I was just adding on to your comments. I have a weird way of writing that sometimes comes off as "lecturing" from what other people have said, and I don't mean it to sound that way. I'm just adding on points.

If you were going to add on something, and your insurance company would give you a really good discount if you used one brand over another, one style of alarm over another, you might as well know that before you pay for any additional system.

Like the dorky KARR alarm that the dealer had put in, the salesperson said I could get a discount...but when I checked with my insurance AFTER buying the car, no discount.

AND I have no manual to go with the alarm. It's not Honda, but is a lot like the Honda alarm. I'm just kind of annoyed with that aspect of the dealership. I wouldn't want anyone else to fall into the same trap.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
its cool you added really good points i didnt even think of talkin with USAA and find ot wich of the systems would be better if i knew how to rep you 1 i would

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
When I took possession of my car (it was ordered), I asked what the code to the alarm was. The salesman's response, "Did we talk about this car having an alarm? I don't think it comes with an alarm."

I'm not sure if you realize this, but salesman tend to flit from one dealership to another and may not really know all of the ins and outs of the cars. I think this was the case with this guy as the car has a basic "alarm" system.

My friend who installs alarms for a living said to make sure it was setup correctly is to roll down the window and lock the car. After the car is alarmed, try opening the door. He was very concerned that the dealership may have done something to alter the alarm, hence the retarded response. He believes car manufacturers and dealerships tend to keep information close to the chest so that they can charge you for a return visit... kind of like how unlucking all of the doors when you put the car in park wasn't in the manual.

Personally, I think the salesman was just slacking.

Quick Reply: How sensitive is the keyless entry "alarm" on the Sport?