2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How sensitive is the keyless entry "alarm" on the Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
its cool you added really good points i didnt even think of talkin with USAA and find ot wich of the systems would be better if i knew how to rep you 1 i would
We learn from our mistakes and I never even THOUGHT of checking with the insurance company for alarm discounts before going to buy the car. I didn't even know the car would HAVE an alarm system of ANY kind. All I checked was the prices of regular insurance.

I could have saved a few hundred dollars by not getting the alarm. But frankly, I love it, it's the auto door lock or unlock kind. The Honda brand would have been less expensive, I think, and I have NO idea why this dealership used another brand.

If I decide to get more alarm stuff put on, I will DEFINITELY check with the insurance company.

They said they give a discount for the Lo-Jack, but only in Southern California. That's good to know. For instance, I might LIVE in Northern California, but what if I had family or friends or business that required frequent car travel in Southern California? If the insurance company thinks it's a good idea to have Lo-Jack in Southern California, I might want to think about getting it too. Right?

---
To rep someone:

You click on that "scale" thing, and a little window appears. It's got two checkboxes, one for "I approve of this post" and one for "I disapprove of this post" and a place for comments.

It's next to the triangle sign with a vertical bar in it.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 01-04-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: What is that little triangle sign? I know it's to report a post, but what does the sign itself signify?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
+rep to you and also getting onstar $500 base into your fit dumps my insurance when i get it i have a 2001 EX and the FIT and pay $120+or- month it would drop almost $30-$40 a month when i get itand also do you know if the NAV is read by satellites and if not how does it know were im at?????

Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
+rep to you and also getting onstar $500 base into your fit dumps my insurance when i get it i have a 2001 EX and the FIT and pay $120+or- month it would drop almost $30-$40 a month when i get itand also do you know if the NAV is read by satellites and if not how does it know were im at?????
I checked out the OnStar privacy page here:
ONSTAR | PRIVACY STATEMENT

" OnStar only knows where your car is when a user or subscriber initiates a request for service, there is an Air Bag Deployment, an Automatic Crash Response occurs, or OnStar is required to locate the car to comply with legal requirements, including valid court orders showing probable cause in criminal investigations. "

And here:
OnStar By GM | OnStar Technology, Global Positioning System and GPS Maps

"
GPS Technology
How GPS Works Global positioning system (GPS) satellite technology measures how long it takes a radio signal from a satellite to reach a vehicle, and then calculates distance using that time. OnStar uses the latest GPS receiver and antenna technology to get the most accurate vehicle location. Additionally, in some vehicles the wheel speed and direction are also used to further enhance OnStar's ability on location technology. "

---

So it appears that it is not constantly sending signals and locating you, it will only locate you if you ask it to (or there is an accident). Maybe it's more like a cell phone. The cell phone is ready to make and receive calls, via signals, but is not constantly making calls on it's own.

I am pretty sure that my cell phone, by the way, has a GPS chip in it. It has preferences on setting who gets my location information, like emergency services. But as I am not calling emergency services right now, there's nothing for the phone to report. Besides, it's probably dead and needs to be recharged.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
That sounds good. What did that cost? And any other details would be useful.

I had something in my old car that was so sensitive and annoying that I had it disconnected. If I looked at the car from a distance, the alarm would go off. I HATE it when people's alarms go off from just a passing truck. Or a leaf falling.

Actual car contact alarm would be excellent. If someone bangs into my car with their car bumper, their car door, their shopping cart, or their kid's head, I want the alarm to go off.
It cost me nothing. My cousin is an alarm installer and he put it in for me. He said that they normally charge $50 to put that in, which isn't bad at all.