2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Radio sound balance is toward right

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Radio sound balance is toward right

Anyone else hear their "center" overall sound more to the right than in the middle? On mine it sounds like the center is from the left side of the glove box. Yet if I put my head at the center of the car it sounds centered. I now have the balance setting at "L2" to compensate. I'm sure it's the acoustic signature of the interior to blame.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's perfectly 'normal' on some cars. it's the preceived center vs actual center.

since the woofer is farther down by your knee you hear more of the
passenger side woofer.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, I hear the highs from the tweeter to the right as well.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
there $10.00 speakers i had the same problem thats why i dont have them anymore replaced them with some BOSTON Pro 50's but now i need an amp...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Actually, I hear the highs from the tweeter to the right as well.
huh, in that case sit facing backwards and see if you can hear the
right speaker more. you could still have NewYears Eve aftershock
from all the drinking and fireworks.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly I don't notice it, glad you pointed it out I will listen for it and see. After adding a JL12w3v2 sub; my next upgrade will be my stock door speaker and tweeters.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
that's perfectly 'normal' on some cars. it's the preceived center vs actual center.

since the woofer is farther down by your knee you hear more of the
passenger side woofer.
It would be centered, if there were no seats and you lay on the floor in the middle of the car. I still don't know why speakers are put down by my feet, since I have never had ears on my ankles.

You could test via reclining both front seats, and then sitting in the middle rear seat. It would probably sound pretty good.

Otherwise, you're blocking the sound from your own side with your own body, and if no one is on the other side, it can project it's sound without obstacles.

If you put something in front of your household sound system on one side, it will sound "off center" too.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
maybe we need the s2000 headrest speaker system.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Let me be clear here...I'm not saying this is a problem, just wondering if anyone hears the same phenomenon, and just FYI.

I've noticed this since I took delivery of the car in August, so this is nothing new to me, just sharing.

Like I said, if my head is in the center, the sound is centered. It all has to do with the acoustics of the interior that makes the sound sound concentrated to the right. I compensated this by adjusting the balance setting to L2.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Let me be clear here...I'm not saying this is a problem, just wondering if anyone hears the same phenomenon, and just FYI.

I've noticed this since I took delivery of the car in August, so this is nothing new to me, just sharing.

Like I said, if my head is in the center, the sound is centered. It all has to do with the acoustics of the interior that makes the sound sound concentrated to the right. I compensated this by adjusting the balance setting to L2.
It SHOULD be like that, if you have good hearing. Absolutely. If you do not have a passenger on the right side, it will sound more off balance. If you have a passenger that blocks parts of the speaker, it will sound a bit less off balance, but still not fully centered.

You're sitting next to one speaker. That is blocked and below your hearing.

If the speakers were up near your ears, the reverse would be true. Your side would sound much louder.

Because your side wouldn't be muffled by your legs.

If you sit on the passenger side, you should notice the same thing, but the side that sounds louder will now be the driver's side (if no one is sitting there).

It's the location of the speakers.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

Yep, I hear ya bro. (no pun intended ) Anyway this reminded me of my old Alpine deck...it had this cool setting where you could change the "focus" of the sound! You could really hear a difference!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I noticed this the first day I had my car. I find L1 works for me. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it!