Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Front staging - does anyone do center channels anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Front staging - does anyone do center channels anymore?

I had a pair of MB Quart full range speakers running mixed mono in the center air ducts via an L-Pad in a 1990 Honda Civic. Audio Control had marketed a center channel amp and processor and this was the cheap way to do it, back in the day.

Back then - Horns were coming out by Image Dynamics and soon thereafter, kick panels with 6.5 inch coaxials.

So - lets assume I want to have an outstanding front stage in my 2010 Honda Fit Sport. Also - lets just say that I'm not going to the ends of the earth and take out a second mortgage to do so.

I see the center air vent could have potential with building a small enclosure to house a speaker to 'splash' against the windshield.

Has this fad died away? Where has the industry filled the hole from back in the mid 90s for sound reproduction and imaging in the automobile environment?

I'm an SQ guy (DUHHH!) so I'm wondering what others have done to make it happen in their Fit.

Last edited by cfella; 08-17-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
I competed from '96 until '08 when I finished 2nd at the MECA world finals in modified + SQ in my Accord. Once I got the Fit I spend some time deciding where to mount the Hertz 3 ways that I planned on installing. I ended up putting the 6.5's in the doors and built pods for the 3" and tweeter in the wing window of the pillar. I wasn't using any processing other than the standard tone controls of the H/U. I felt that with the proper aiming they wouldn't need much more help.

I sold the Fit some time ago and without a processor I never would expect to compete at the same level the Accord had. I don't remember how much room was inside the dash but Scott Buwalda proved anything was possible! It depends on what you have, what you want, and more importantly what kind of install skills you've got.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks! I was looking around and found out about Hybrid Audio Technologies. I guess this is Scott Buwalda's speaker company so he must know a thing or two about what works! He shares some of the main points in his install directions which are available online - basic theory but very important to keep in mind.

David