2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Accessories: dealer install or install yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Accessories: dealer install or install yourself?

I am looking at ordering a Fit next month (if I can't find the specs/color I want in stock nearby) and want to find out which accessories are worth letting the dealer install, and which are a waste of money and easy to install yourself. I would consider my abilities moderate to good. I wouldn't take on anything major (like new springs, I'll have to pay someone to do that) but I think installing the floormats will be easy enough for me. But what about the interior lighting kit, how easy is that to tie into the wiring? shifter knob I assume is not a big deal either. Could anyone give a rundown of the accessories that are available from the dealer and what is worth it to let the dealer take care of?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 AM
1. Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News
2. Find accessories you like.
3. Record prices
4. Tell dealer you want those accessories at those prices with free install.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
This will actually be my first car purchase from a dealer. Is it really that easy to get a deal on accessories?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Oh man your in for a fun game. But yes, its not too tough. I would say you could probably go for around 5 accessories, but they should go for it. If they don't, then say your not interested.

The thing is, you can't give in. If they say no and you give up, then your an easy target for them to rip you off.

I just read this actually...

Car Shopping on the Offensive: 8 Aggressive Buying Tactics- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Keep this in mind. Don't be too eager, be willing to walk out and have them call you, because trust me, they will.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
The good thing is, even though I only have one Honda dealer close by, I have 3 more within an hour drive in SC that usually have more in stock anyway. I don't have to buy from them if they aren't willing to deal with me.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by mchoffa
The good thing is, even though I only have one Honda dealer close by, I have 3 more within an hour drive in SC that usually have more in stock anyway. I don't have to buy from them if they aren't willing to deal with me.

Exactly. Tell them that, get some info, check deals with AAA or your insurance/job. I got a discount with Apple on my car, so its something to consider.

Good luck!!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by mchoffa
I am looking at ordering a Fit next month (if I can't find the specs/color I want in stock nearby) and want to find out which accessories are worth letting the dealer install, and which are a waste of money and easy to install yourself. I would consider my abilities moderate to good. I wouldn't take on anything major (like new springs, I'll have to pay someone to do that) but I think installing the floormats will be easy enough for me. But what about the interior lighting kit, how easy is that to tie into the wiring? shifter knob I assume is not a big deal either. Could anyone give a rundown of the accessories that are available from the dealer and what is worth it to let the dealer take care of?
I'll get my interior lighting kit sometime this week. I have zero experience installing anything in a car, so I'll post a detailed review of how hard it was for a n00b. You can look at the instructions online; they don't seem too difficult.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
I'll get my interior lighting kit sometime this week. I have zero experience installing anything in a car, so I'll post a detailed review of how hard it was for a n00b. You can look at the instructions online; they don't seem too difficult.
It's not hard at all, just make sure you have all the correct tools. I installed my kit in about 25-30 minutes... But I am also no where near a noob

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Tools aren't a problem Patience, time, and money, on the other hand...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Here are the lists of things you should let ur dealer take care of imo(note imo):
1. Wheel locks
2. Door Visors
3. Rear Bumper App.
4. Honda's Alloy Wheel(imo its not worth it to get, aftermarket is better)
5. Sports grill

Also I would make the dealer install most of the accessories except for like obvious ones like cargo mat or floor mat, those you can do yourself, but if anything goes wrong you can blame the dealer

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Well I am definitely not getting the alloys from them. They don't look good enough to spend that kind of money on IMO. Also not going with the sport grill, I just don't like it. I think the standard grill looks nicer personally. I might go for the Mugen grill or some other aftermarket grill later on, but not now.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Yea mugen grill looks better than honda for sure but I was just listing all the accessories that you might want the dealer to install, but yea def. mugen is better. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I dont know man, I think the aftermarket honda grill is very nice. Ill get it on mine forsure, the oem is ugly. Or just not my taste.

The usdm mugen is also too plane jane. The aftermarket one although imo only looks good on the sport fit though,

Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Oooo, post up pics when you install ur grill AP ONE.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by luv4jdm
Oooo, post up pics when you install ur grill AP ONE.

Cool man, wont be till march though, waiting for snow to go away here, no r4eason to put it threw it if I dont have to

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by AP_ONE
Cool man, wont be till march though, waiting for snow to go away here, no r4eason to put it threw it if I dont have to
Oh man, its snowing here in chicago too, I'm holding off modding until the snow clears also