2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 info yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
Not always so apparent online, are you mad at me or the fact that Honda won't be bringing the hybrid here?
I am so sorry!!! I am angry at Honda! I would have loved having a hybrid fit...

Thanks for the info....

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
what the crap
well i read it somewhere a while back, but either way
i now know== i was wrong... haha

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Updated navigation system/with bluetooth!! If Honda reads forums..
I'm sure Honda knows some people would rather just opt for regular fit or fit sport without navi and replace it with a better double din navi system and/or one with bluetooth.. Cheaper too. Navi system is a little outdated

Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Moolman is probably right on the money with this one, just look at the earlier fits as a guide to what will happen with the new generation.

Bluetooth would be nice though. :X

Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Why?

May I ask why many of you want a Hybrid?

You do realize that all Hybrids are more harmful to the environment because of the materials used to produce those large and toxic battery packs?

You do realize that those battery packs seem to have a life of about 8 years and will cause a huge toxic mess when it's time to dispose of them since they do not have a recycling program for them?

You do realize that by buying a Hybird Fit (or Hybrid anything) you are pretty much saying that you are ok with the car being worthless in 8 years (the life expectancy of the battery)? This is because the batteries are estimated to cost well over $8K and nobody is going to spend $8K plus on an 8 year old Fit and it will become worthless. I have seen many other cars doing fine on the road well past the 8 year mark, but that's because nobody had to spend over $8K on a gosh darn battery to keep in on the road. My guess, the batteries won't even be available at the 8 yr. mark, so it just adds to the worthless risk.

You do realize that many (if not most) people never make up the additional money spent on a Hybrid (than the non-Hybrid version of any car)? While you may very well see an increase in your MPG, you will only be saving a few bucks at most per tank fill up and will likely NEVER recoup the thousands extra you spent for the Hybrid version.

You do realize that maintenance costs and/ or repair costs may be much higher in a Hybrid when the warranty is expired?

You do realize that many Fire Departments and rescue workers will NOT rescue you in the event of a crash if the toxic Hybrid battery has been compromised in a crash? They will have to send out for a specially trained unit who is trained and equipped to deal with those circumstances. Can you imagine the consequences of that since the first 30 min are the most cristical?

You do realize that many tow trucks will NOT tow or store Hybrids that have been in severe accidents for liability reasons (toxic battery/ electrical issues). This could lead to high costs from those who will.

I just don't get this whole Hybrid craze and I would personally buy a used car before I buy a Hybrid.

Last edited by Shora; 05-13-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
The 2010 Honda Insight is now available for sale here in Canada.
Saw one being prepped for delivery about 12 days ago.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shora

You do realize that all Hybrids are more harmful to the environment because of the materials used to produce those large and toxic battery packs?

You do realize that those battery packs seem to have a life of about 8 years and will cause a huge toxic mess when it's time to dispose of them since they do not have a recycling program for them?

You do realize that by buying a Hybird Fit (or Hybrid anything) you are pretty much saying that you are ok with the car being worthless in 8 years (the life expectancy of the battery)? This is because the batteries are estimated to cost well over $8K and nobody is going to spend $8K plus on an 8 year old Fit and it will become worthless. I have seen many other cars doing fine on the road well past the 8 year mark, but that's because nobody had to spend over $8K on a gosh darn battery to keep in on the road. My guess, the batteries won't even be available at the 8 yr. mark, so it just adds to the worthless risk.

You do realize that many (if not most) people never make up the additional money spent on a Hybrid (than the non-Hybrid version of any car)? While you may very well see an increase in your MPG, you will only be saving a few bucks at most per tank fill up and will likely NEVER recoup the thousands extra you spent for the Hybrid version.

You do realize that maintenance costs and/ or repair costs may be much higher in a Hybrid when the warranty is expired?

You do realize that many Fire Departments and rescue workers will NOT rescue you in the event of a crash if the toxic Hybrid battery has been compromised in a crash? They will have to send out for a specially trained unit who is trained and equipped to deal with those circumstances. Can you imagine the consequences of that since the first 30 min are the most cristical?

You do realize that many tow trucks will NOT tow or store Hybrids that have been in severe accidents for liability reasons (toxic battery/ electrical issues). This could lead to high costs from those who will.

I just don't get this whole Hybrid craze and I would personally buy a used car before I buy a Hybrid.

This post is GREAT!!! I'm glad someone finally realized all of this! Now I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to realize it!

Except, I don't think the Prius battery is $8k... I think it is more like $2-3k

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora

Although I agree with a lot of your points, you do have some misleading information.

Replacement batteries do not cost $8K. I found a dealer that would sell an original Insight battery replacement for $1200. I believe the Prius battery is around $2K.

Saying that maintenance costs after warranty are high is a complete guess. The number of hybrids that are out of warranty on the road today are so small you cannot get relevent data on them. Anything you can get data from is from the original designs and therefore is probably higher than average in costs (you can say that about most newly designed/developed models).

The batteries that are in hybrids are protected in the event of a crash. If the crash is serious enough to crack open a battery, you are dead anyways, response time is irrelevant. Emergency personel are now required to take special training when working on a hybrid vehicle because of the high voltage lines, but all of them have this training and ability. It isn't much more than when airbags were introduced.

I am not a huge fan of hybrids as they sit today. But, they have evolved a lot, and will continue to evolve. Gas prices dropping back down really hurt them. I would buy the Fit over a Fit hybrid for the forseeable future, but they certainly aren't the doom and gloom that is painted in the previous post.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know the planned production numbers for the 2010 Fit? Or at least the latest number for the 09s? I'm wondering because I might be getting a 10, but it will probably suck trying to find the exact one at a competitive price.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjanaya21
This post is GREAT!!! I'm glad someone finally realized all of this! Now I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to realize it!

Except, I don't think the Prius battery is $8k... I think it is more like $2-3k
Originally Posted by McNabb
Although I agree with a lot of your points, you do have some misleading information.

Replacement batteries do not cost $8K. I found a dealer that would sell an original Insight battery replacement for $1200. I believe the Prius battery is around $2K.

Saying that maintenance costs after warranty are high is a complete guess. The number of hybrids that are out of warranty on the road today are so small you cannot get relevent data on them. Anything you can get data from is from the original designs and therefore is probably higher than average in costs (you can say that about most newly designed/developed models).

The batteries that are in hybrids are protected in the event of a crash. If the crash is serious enough to crack open a battery, you are dead anyways, response time is irrelevant. Emergency personel are now required to take special training when working on a hybrid vehicle because of the high voltage lines, but all of them have this training and ability. It isn't much more than when airbags were introduced.

I am not a huge fan of hybrids as they sit today. But, they have evolved a lot, and will continue to evolve. Gas prices dropping back down really hurt them. I would buy the Fit over a Fit hybrid for the forseeable future, but they certainly aren't the doom and gloom that is painted in the previous post.
Thanks for the updated info guys.

The $8K battery cost is the figure I got from a friend who worked for Honda and was giving me info about the Civic Hybrid when it first came out.

I guess that his numbers were wrong. However, don't be surprised if they discontinue the batteries altogether once the car is 8-10 years old or if they jump up in price in 8-10 years.

I guess that they are keeping the costs down now while the cars are new and still under warranty. I wouldn't hold my breath about it all being so positive 8-10 years from now since manufacturers are known to discontinue parts.

Again, I see MANY 8-10 yr. old cars on the road today doing just fine and wouldn't think less of the USDM Fits. Can't say I feel the same about a Hybrid version.

Lastly, I still didn't read ANY positives about a Hybrid version of a Fit.

1) You are likely to NEVER make back the premium spent on the Hybrid vs. the standard Fit.

2) They cause more pollution to the Earth over the life span of the car (mining for toxic chemicals used for the batteries and the costs of disposing of them).

Also, what IF the car is in a severe wreak? Now you not only die or get injured, but you also expose extremely toxic chemicals to the environment.

I understand, it was mentioned that one would be dead anyway in a severe crash. I can respect that, it's one of the risks we take every time we get behind the wheel. My point is that one big selling factor for a "Hybrid" is that they are "Green" and better for the environment and I think we can all agree that it's not true when one takes the whole lifespan of the car (from production until destruction).

Again, I just don't get it. Are the Hybrid emblems REALLY that cool or am I missing something else?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
the 2010 Fit will be the exact same as the 2009, new owners should pray for better seat materials though.
Soon to be a new owner... what's wrong with seats?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Rhialto,

Best just sit in them and make up your mind for yourself, for some people it's terrible for others it's good.

For me it works--I just needed lumbar support up until yesterday I found a badass strapped lumbar cushion that seems to be doing the trick for me. I'm pissed that I didn't look for something of the sort sooner. It's lack of more supportive seats are probably the biggest shortcoming that I notice. Simply fixed for me with a cheap lumbar cushion but still...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks... yet I test drove one and didn't remember for the seats exactly but had nothing to complain.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 PM
hi Rhialto,
The poster said seat materials...not the seat itself. (some taller people have mentioned the seats) but the seat materials seem kind of cheap and the main thing is they are sort of like magnets...all hair, fuzz, etc sticks to them.

I'll be soon buying a seat cover for at least the drivers side...

When I was doing an online search the other day about Honda problems...I came across a post where a person mentioned to take a fabric softner sheet and rub it across the seats. I haven't done this yet but sounds like it might work!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
The other problem with the seat material is the build up of static electricity. Every time I exit the car, it tries to electrocute me!

Considering that Honda redesigned the ENTIRE car for '09, I can't believe there will be much in the way of change for '10. Maybe a new color of two, or some juggling of equipment in the packages. I don't expect VSA on the base, or rear discs or anything like that since Honda has to keep the price under control (below the Civic) and they don't have a lot of wiggle room as it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
I understand, it was mentioned that one would be dead anyway in a severe crash. I can respect that, it's one of the risks we take every time we get behind the wheel.
The batteries used in hybrids typically use a gel type electrolyte instead of a liquid like a standard car battery (for safety reasons). Even if the battery was punctured in a major crash, the toxic components would typically not leak out (still a risk). The only thing toxic leaking would be the electrolyte from the standard battery, which would happen on non-hybrid cars as well

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
The other problem with the seat material is the build up of static electricity. Every time I exit the car, it tries to electrocute me!

Considering that Honda redesigned the ENTIRE car for '09, I can't believe there will be much in the way of change for '10. Maybe a new color of two, or some juggling of equipment in the packages. I don't expect VSA on the base, or rear discs or anything like that since Honda has to keep the price under control (below the Civic) and they don't have a lot of wiggle room as it is.
I know dude...I always get zapped on my way out. Gotta get that t1r earthing kit...