2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well... finished speaker installs: no pictures too frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Well... finished speaker installs: no pictures too frustrated

rockin 4 infinity kappa 6.5's

2 sore ass cheeks,
2 sore hands
2 sensitive fingers
2 sensitive thumbs
1 swollen knuckle
2 broken plastic tabs
1 broken cover plate
AND
8 hrs later

I finished R&R'ing speakers.

this has been one of the more annoying car mods i've done in my life so far.

just call/pm for number me if you need directions... knuckle hurts too much to type anymore.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
but was it worth it? Im sure they sound way better than the stocks. Im looking at installing some Rainbow 6.5's components in the front and rear doors.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
so much clarity brah. but not enough bass! it's so much louder though.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
one quick question: did the speakers come close to hitting the windows when you roll it down? I think my speakers are a little deeper than the Infinitys you installed. Im just hoping that mine clear.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
the fronts are super close... i had to use a bracket that the speakers come with...

as for the rear, no bracket is needed.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Mole,

It wouldn't have mattered as far as the difficulty of the install (many props for undertaking it ), but for the sake of clearances, did you use the _shallow_ version of the Infinity Kappa's? Denoted by an "s" at the end of the model number. The model which I reckon is ideal for the GE Fit is the Infinity Kappa "62.9is", a shallow-mounting depth version of the Kappa 62.9i. It's very frustrating that Crutchfield doesn't stock (or even list) this version of the Kappa drivers, while you can see it on Infinity's website and order it from other vendors (I used HookedOnTronics).

Also, for anyone planning to install speakers or pop Fit panels in general... you need this trim (clips, etc.) tool kit. It's actually listed in all of Honda's manuals and service docs with an actual Honda part#, but it's made by KTC and sold in many different places. Panel Popper Kit

Hope that info helps! I've explored speaker installation in the GE8 quite a bit, but I haven't figured out what to do to get back the level of bass the cheapie paper cone drivers are still good at producing (even if not the most accurate bass).

Cheers,

Baz

Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
pics or it never happened

Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Retired Moderator
What door parts did you break and what door were they on..?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
GE8
5 Year Member
i did both of my fronts in about 30 mins. but i do that every day so its kind of second nature and it always helps to have all the right tools

Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
after reading about mole177's adventure, I decided to have a professional install my components. The new speakers made a huge difference in my opinion. I had some Rainbow 6.5 components installed in the front and rear locations, and the clarity is amazing. Best upgrade yet!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
GE8
5 Year Member
ya RAINBOW's are amazing speakers. you pay a little more but its worth it. i have HERTZ energy's now and the sound is great.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
I am planning to do the front and rear speakers myself. I got the instruction removing the rear door panel. Is removing the front door panel procedure identical?

Originally Posted by mole177
rockin 4 infinity kappa 6.5's

2 sore ass cheeks,
2 sore hands
2 sensitive fingers
2 sensitive thumbs
1 swollen knuckle
2 broken plastic tabs
1 broken cover plate
AND
8 hrs later

I finished R&R'ing speakers.

this has been one of the more annoying car mods i've done in my life so far.

just call/pm for number me if you need directions... knuckle hurts too much to type anymore.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
pics or it never happened
Here are some pics of my installation. My installer suggested that he install the tweeter for the rear speakers in the upper area behind the passenger window. He called it the sail panel. He experimented with different locations and said this gave the best sound. Different tweeters will sound different so it may not be the best location for other brands. He also painted them so they would blend into the sail panel.
The mids are in the stock location in the doors.

dash tweeter
Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0169.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  47.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0166.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
What door parts did you break and what door were they on..?
hmmm... oh yeah...

its the clip that allows you to take the window thingy down. the part that is under the window toggle.

and the other part was ELECTRICALLY taped back in place. the triangular plastic piece right above the window sill towards the back of the door.

(you'll know if you see it.)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE8
i did both of my fronts in about 30 mins. but i do that every day so its kind of second nature and it always helps to have all the right tools
what speaker did you use? did you drill new holes?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aenokea
Here are some pics of my installation. My installer suggested that he install the tweeter for the rear speakers in the upper area behind the passenger window. He called it the sail panel. He experimented with different locations and said this gave the best sound. Different tweeters will sound different so it may not be the best location for other brands. He also painted them so they would blend into the sail panel.
The mids are in the stock location in the doors.

dash tweeter
Looks awesome man! Did you happen to notice exactly how the installer removed the stock front tweeters? Some members have inquired about this in the past. If it's easy enough I'll drop my A/D/S component tweeters in there until I get time replace the doors.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Looks awesome man! Did you happen to notice exactly how the installer removed the stock front tweeters? Some members have inquired about this in the past. If it's easy enough I'll drop my A/D/S component tweeters in there until I get time replace the doors.
Its actually very simple. If you look at the tweeter from outside the car, youll notice a very small opening where you can place a small flathead screwdriver and pry it off. Make sure you cover the scredriver with tape or something so you dont damage the dash or tweeter pod.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Its actually very simple. If you look at the tweeter from outside the car, youll notice a very small opening where you can place a small flathead screwdriver and pry it off. Make sure you cover the scredriver with tape or something so you dont damage the dash or tweeter pod.
Nice! Thanks for the quick reply. I sense a midnight project coming on for me tonight!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
I had some Rainbow 6.5 components installed in the front and rear locations, and the clarity is amazing. Best upgrade yet!
Aren't Rainbow's like the Maserati of speakers? Very exclusive gear there...nice work!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Aren't Rainbow's like the Maserati of speakers? Very exclusive gear there...nice work!
They have several different lines and I choose the mid level speakers. In my opinion these sound great and cant imagine how good the top level speakers must be. ADS speakers were my favorite back in my high school days. Very smooth and natural sounding. "Old school" if you have them is the way to go!

Quick Reply: Well... finished speaker installs: no pictures too frustrated