2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dealer tried to scare me today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer tried to scare me today...

So I went into my 'friendly neighborhood Honda Dealer' to purchase a few oil filters for future DIY oil changes. A simple purchase turned into an exchanging of opinions...

Honda- " Ooh, you really shouldn't be doing your own oil changes on the Fit"

Me- "I've done my own oil changes in the past, it shouldn't be an issue."

The Honda dealer then basically said, "Doing your own oil changes will probably void your warranty".

I'm putting in 5w20 Full synthetic oil that "meets the latest API specifications". I'm using a Honda Oil Filter. I'll be changing the oil every 5000miles unless the computer tells me earlier. I'll log it, keep my receipts and that should cover my warranty. Right?

The only X factor is the Fumoto Valve I'm thinking of using.

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

But their warranty seems pretty rock solid.

"Fumoto Engineering of America offers a LIFE TIME WARRANTY on its product, against faulty workmanship and/or material to the original purchaser (with proof of purchase). For any defective product, Fumoto Engineering of America will replace the product at no charge. Fumoto Engineering of America will also indemnify any consequential damages to the engine/vehicle which are directly caused by the defective product. This warranty does not cover any damages due to misuse, abuse, negligence or accident. This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada."

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
That's when I would be going to another dealer. Freaking stealership.

Keep records and your warranties will be withheld.
That dealer is just a dick.

My dealer salesman loved that I did my own work and kept records of all my own work that he bought my old car for his son....ha ha.

I use this...to keep my records.
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainten...ce_history.asp
You can keep all your records on honda's website and easy to keep track and print out when needed.

I am registered on Acura's they have the same thing. I have all my TSX records there.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 03-26-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, post your rip-off dealership name here along with the teller's name and complain to Honda.

that is complete BS.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I have always done all my own oil changes, and will continue to do so. I don't trust the dealership with a vital part like the oil of my car.

Void my warranty? Their mickey mouse techs are that much more superior than a Enthusiast with a Service manual? lol.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
dealerships are really desperate these days, the only thing keeping most of them open is the shop and parts dept.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Great link! +rep for you sir. I just wish it recognized my Canadian VIN

Hah, it says I have rep'd you too much and must spread the love first.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Scaldy
Great link! +rep for you sir. I just wish it recognized my Canadian VIN

Hah, it says I have rep'd you too much and must spread the love first.

Sorry I tried to search Honda Canada but I don't see an owners link for you guys....

Honda Canada

I started a new thread though just to make sure the owners link info gets out there.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scaldy
The Honda dealer then basically said, "Doing your own oil changes will probably void your warranty".
I hope you don't mind if I share my own story but that's basically how it is over here. Considering Honda's dealers charge quite a hefty amount for periodic maintenance as compared to Toyota, this is one reason why a lot of people here tend to shun Honda and buy Toyota due to being dirt-cheap to maintain, even at the dealerships.

Also, any sort of modification done to Hondas within the 3-year Philippine warranty period voids the warranty for the relevant part or system, e.g. change wheels and your warranty for the wheels and suspension goes out the window.

They have ways of tracking if someone else has "touched" the engine, usually by painting over the relevant bolts and washers. If the paint is broken, it's been "touched" by people other than the dealers.

Yeah, it stinks.

My two cents

Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
dealerships are really desperate these days, the only thing keeping most of them open is the shop and parts dept.
That is pretty much it. They are having a hard time selling cars so they are trying to scare people into spending more money on other areas.

I don't even change my own oil, but I am not letting the dealer do it. I have been taking my cars to a privately owned small business for 6 years and never once have they done me wrong. They always get the car back to me the same day. The one time there was an issue, they took care of it no questions asked. They have even done diagnostics, didn't charge me a dime and gave the car back to me. (Because no problem was found or it was time to sell the car.) Would I ever in a million years get that kind of treatment from a dealer? Hell no.