2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 PM
mcmaster-carr is awesome. that's where i bought my gum rubber for the rockband drum pads a few years ago. they were great. also increased the resale value when i sold it. lol

Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
That's a helluva lot cheaper than the aluminum mesh they sell. It may break on a good impact but it would slow the rock down I think it would have to be a good golf ball sized rock though...

If it's real brittle and you can snap it with your fingers then it won't be much good...if it has good elasticity it should work fine.

Let us know...And yes, McMaster Carr does rock! They have a local warehouse here in Cali and anything in stock is delivered the next day to my shop.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Guys: This stuff is not brittle... it's impossible to 'tear it' with your bare hands, and I can even fold it in half and crease it, and it won't snap. I think for this purpose it will be just fine. Not as strong as a steel mesh, but should be more than enough imho. We'll see... I will be installing it over the weekend.

It was $10 shipped for BOTH meshes...!

Last edited by justintime; 04-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by justintime
Guys: This stuff is not brittle... it's impossible to 'tear it' with your bear hands, and I can even fold it in half and crease it, and it won't snap. I think for this purpose it will be just fine. Not as strong as a steel mesh, but should be more than enough imho. We'll see... I will be installing it over the weekend.

It was $10 shipped for BOTH meshes...!
Sounds like a winner then. Be sure and snap some pics, especially if you tear alot of stuff out doing it Shots of the backside of the grill would be great (providing you remove it of course).

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
OK I went ahead and completed the mesh install using McMaster Carr's mesh. Awesome and easy!

Black plastic mesh purchased here for cheap: McMaster Carr plastic mesh 0.26" x 0.26"
You only need 1 foot, but get 2 ft in case you mess up... this stuff is cheap!

1. Open hood.
2. Remove top plastic cover (~ 8 clips or so).
3. Cut the mesh to 8" x 32".
4. Open up 2 spots on the mesh so the bottom clips of the grill can be used to attach it. (approx 25 1/2 inches apart, maybe 26 inches.)
5. Remove the 2 clips at the bottom of grill, and put mesh in place, then put clips through mesh onto bumper base.
6. Use black zipties to contour/attach the mesh in place.
7. Replace top cover.

Total cost would about $8 shipped for the mesh and 45 mins install time.

Pics:

8x32 mesh cut to size:
Name:  IMG_7129.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  73.5 KB

open section for clip (closeup). Approx 25 1/2 inches apart, maybe 26 inches.
Name:  IMG_7130.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  121.2 KB

Top view, mesh fastened by clip
Name:  IMG_7135.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  58.9 KB

Zipties all around
Name:  IMG_7137.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  93.6 KB

All done
Name:  IMG_7131.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  54.8 KB

Can't see it
Name:  IMG_7139.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  30.2 KB

Last edited by justintime; 06-22-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Very nice. I like the way that it matches the look of the grill material. It has the same degree of surface gloss, etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Seriously nice work.

Going to try to replicate this next week.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and posting pics.

-P

Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the pics, nice job...

Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
If anyone else goes through my install, please comment on how well it works for you. Also, measure the distance between the holes for the clips... I forgot to do that. I can update the instructions above with the distance if someone chimes in.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 AM
I put a painted, trimmed plastic rain gutter across the 'gap' today. Zip ties to hold. The Scan Gauge water temperature stays around 179-184 degree most of the time, mostly near 179, with a/c and the outside temperature rising. On a short trip after the install the temperature was in the same range, 179-181 degrees. So far so good.

Update: 28 Jun 09 So far maximum seen is 184 degrees.

Last edited by pharmpk; 06-28-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Another victim of damaged condenser here. $700 to fix it. I'm so flipping pissed.

Looks like I'll be doing one of these grill protector DIY's. Can't view the pics while at work but I'll check them out when I get home. Need something cheap and fast.....

Glad this thread was here. A big thanks to all the contributors.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ein
Anyone checked their engine/coolant temperature before and after installing the mesh?
So far (just a couple of local trips with a/c) no difference. Scangauge temperature ranges between 179 and 184 (before and after).

Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone else goes through my install, please comment on how well it works for you. Also, measure the distance between the holes for the clips... I forgot to do that. I can update the instructions above with the distance if someone chimes in.
Just ordered a couple feet. Will let you know how it goes, thanks. +1

Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM
The measurement between the two clips is 25 1/2" on center however, for the purpose of adding mesh material, the span is slightly concave so 26" is more like what I came up with. Your pics were a great help when I tore into mine this afternoon. I just experimented with some plastic mesh I had laying around and it turned out OK. I'll probably order the mesh you recommended, looks better than what I was using. I found it easier to just remove the lower grill completely, apply the mesh, re-install. Thanks for the help...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Great, glad my pics were of some help The mesh I recommend seems pretty damn tough for a plastic material. I've driven for a few days and see no damage. but I do see a lot of 'stuff' trapped by the mesh Including some small rocks and asphalt chips... I just kind of brushed them away to see WHAT they were when I was inspecting... bottom line, seems to be doing its job. I am sure a large enough rock at high speed will rip through it, but hey, we can't prevent every damn thing!

Originally Posted by jimbob
The measurement between the two clips is 25 1/2" on center however, for the purpose of adding mesh material, the span is slightly concave so 26" is more like what I came up with. Your pics were a great help when I tore into mine this afternoon. I just experimented with some plastic mesh I had laying around and it turned out OK. I'll probably order the mesh you recommended, looks better than what I was using. I found it easier to just remove the lower grill completely, apply the mesh, re-install. Thanks for the help...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I've got a lower grill on order with Bernardi Honda so I can play with different designs and not drive around with a gaping hole down below. Of course all you guys that have gone with DIY mesh are gonna be a tough sell for anything I come up with

I'm tinkering with the notion of parts that will snap right in using the lower clips and others that are basically shrouds that cover the entire condenser, well behind the grill that you won't be able to notice. There are three holes running below the condenser that will accept the same kind of clip used on the lower grill/upper grill/top shroud. The challenge will be to make them inexpensive and easy to install...

This thread has progessed well into not worrying too much if there will be interest, unfortunately so for some I kinda thought it was a bit overblown at first but realisticly, the mods you guys have done are cheap insurance and in some cases some cool looking mods...

And thanks again jimbob for tips on removing the lower grill...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I struggled to remove the lower grill... couldn't find anyone explaining the procedure on this forum. Any pointers, just out of curiosity please? I removed the 2 clips, and still nothing. Then I noticed some tabs, but after forcing for a while I decided to stop... I felt I was going to BREAK SOMETHING!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I struggled to remove the lower grill... couldn't find anyone explaining the procedure on this forum. Any pointers, just out of curiosity please? I removed the 2 clips, and still nothing. Then I noticed some tabs, but after forcing for a while I decided to stop... I felt I was going to BREAK SOMETHING!!!
That was me Friday night...late at night...and perty juiced up

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...l-removal.html

jimbob explains it about as well it can be explained other than taking pictures and going step by step. Kinda surprised it took two days for someone to chime in so I guess it's not something that is commonly done...that or I pissed people off and they didn't want to help

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Malice101
I'm tinkering with the notion of parts that will snap right in using the lower clips and others that are basically shrouds that cover the entire condenser, well behind the grill that you won't be able to notice. There are three holes running below the condenser that will accept the same kind of clip used on the lower grill/upper grill/top shroud. .
I like the shroud idea alot and am working on something along the same lines. Those three holes have possibilities and there's plenty of room in there to work with...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Just placed an order. Ordered 3 feet. Just in case the plastic needs a swap, will have extra around.

Quick Reply: Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing