2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air filter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
So wait, you didn't put the top of the airbox back on, you're just running with it open? Is that the way it's intended to work once you replace the stock filter with a K&N or similar product?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I am questioning the hurt of leaving the top cover off now like Quick mentioned (Part #3)
Find Honda Parts and Honda Accessories by Car Model - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

001 003 17202-RB0-000View
CHAMBER SET, AIR CLEANER

Only thing I see is extra moisture might get in there or dust. Being the reservoir box though I would think they would have some sort of drainage holes though.
Anyone else try this?

I would like just a deeper sounding intake. HP is not a big deal to me....since we do only have a 1.5L engine

Keeping the cover off might utilize some of that cold air the hood scoop brings in as well.

?????

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-01-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
So wait, you didn't put the top of the airbox back on, you're just running with it open? Is that the way it's intended to work once you replace the stock filter with a K&N or similar product?
No just the silencer box. The air filter is housed in the air box closet to the front of the car.

Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I am questioning the hurt of leaving the top cover off now like Quick mentioned (Part #3)
Find Honda Parts and Honda Accessories by Car Model - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

001 003 17202-RB0-000View
CHAMBER SET, AIR CLEANER

Only thing I see is extra moisture might get in there or dust. Being the reservoir box though I would think they would have some sort of drainage holes though.
Anyone else try this?

I would like just a deeper sounding intake. HP is not a big deal to me....since we do only have a 1.5L engine

Keeping the cover off might utilize some of that cold air the hood scoop brings in as well.

?????

Open the inlet chamber and the air filter chamber box, pull out the filter and you'll see how it draws in air. In the stock set-up like in your pic air actually runs under the inlet chamber box, but if you pop the lid off you'll see that there is a small hole in the bottom top left corner of the box. This chamber has no other purpose then to silence the air intake.

Dust may settle in there but moisture would dry quickly once the engine warms up.

Nothing like an aftermarket intake but under engine load you can definitely notice a deeper sound.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
How about this... instead of taking it off and you are worried about dust and water, Cut it with a dremmel. go to honda and buy a new one for when you go to honda... its only $7

Honda Automotive Parts

Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by quick92ciFit
No just the silencer box. The air filter is housed in the air box closet to the front of the car.

Open the inlet chamber and the air filter chamber box, pull out the filter and you'll see how it draws in air. In the stock set-up like in your pic air actually runs under the inlet chamber box, but if you pop the lid off you'll see that there is a small hole in the bottom top left corner of the box. This chamber has no other purpose then to silence the air intake.

Dust may settle in there but moisture would dry quickly once the engine warms up.

Nothing like an aftermarket intake but under engine load you can definitely notice a deeper sound.
Yea at lunch I took it off and inspected and I did notice the same thing. I left the lid off and hecks yea it sounds better. I took out the filter out and there is a small drain hole under the filter so if any water did get in (which I don't see possible) it would drain out. The little 1.5L sounds like it actually has some balls when you get on it (somewhat ). As for now I kept it off...
It might be me imagining things but it did seem like the car pulled slightly better.

crxfreak might have a point too. Just wonder if the deep sound would still be there w/ the dremmel made hole????

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-01-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Warning about K&N type of filters

Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by john21031
Warning about K&N type of filters performance air filter passing dust - YouTube
In all honesty, that looks like a generic ebay filter as well as the intake. Are they actually comparable to K&N filters in terms of materials and design? The top of the cone when I used to have my K&N intake filter was solid metal and had the K&N logo on it, unlike the one in the video where it had more filter on top. The inside of my intake definitely did not have dust like that and my whole engine was dirty/dusty similar to that car. Just sharing my personal experiences.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
You know why manufacturer's don't use these kinds of filters? There is no need for them.
The reasons these filters exist is so that they can be used during the racing conditions, when performance is the primary goal and engine longevity (read: quality of filtration) is of secondary concern.

Good luck using it, but i sure would not want my engine breathing the large dust particles that these filters let through compared to OEM and paper filters.

Last edited by john21031; 11-27-2014 at 05:33 PM.