2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lots of rattles and strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Lots of rattles and strange noises

Hey everyone,

I've owned my 2009 Fit Sport manual for almost 4 months and put on a little over 3600 miles, and it's proven to be an incredible littlebig car! Unfortunately though, I seem to find a new (annoying!) rattle or weird noise every other week...

- Rattle/creaking coming from the upper-right side of the dash board. Happens constantly.
- Another rattle from the upper-right side, due to a piece of plastic that has loosened on the windshield.
- The lower glove box rattle (sigh).
- A strong wind noise from the passenger-side triangle window when going over 40.
- Weird scraping noise when I first turn the car on from key position 1 to 2 (before the engine starts).
- Engine seems to have developed a high-pitch whining noise that's linked to RPM...

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the build quality so far. My 2000 Accord before this had no rattles or strange noises, so I'm pretty surprised to find them in a Honda.

Anyone else experiencing any of these? Will Honda fix them under warranty? (hopefully!)

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding the upper windshield, there has been a big discussion on this regarding the GD3's. I recently bought some foam insulation from Home Depot and wedged it between the dash and the glass. So far I haven't heard any rattles from that area, but it usually only does it during the cold anyway.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I think I am hearing them now too.....but I am suspecting it has to do with either my sunglasses holder, or the empty water bottle i left on the passenger side....will see.....

Old 04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
when it got really cold (-40 c) i head the windshield have that sound, and other than that the only noise i noticed was the glovebox, but i found that if i open it and close it hard it goes away lol

Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
check the rubber around the windshield.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
This is bad news. I hate squeaks and rattles in the car. Hope it doesn't happen to our new FiT.

Our 08 Element SC, after 22,500 Kms. is still pretty tight. Hope I don't ever regret trading it in for the GE FiT.

Yes, I have heard that squeaks and strange noises sometimes happen when the weather gets extremely cold.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Benggolf
This is bad news. I hate squeaks and rattles in the car. Hope it doesn't happen to our new FiT.

Our 08 Element SC, after 22,500 Kms. is still pretty tight. Hope I don't ever regret trading it in for the GE FiT.

Yes, I have heard that squeaks and strange noises sometimes happen when the weather gets extremely cold.
I'm hoping that this is unique to my Fit. I have tracked down where almost all the noises are coming from, and most of them should be easy to fix (except the glove box rattle, but there's an entire thread devoted to that).

I'll update later with some pictures just incase anyone else is having the same rattles.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by daveymcgav
I'm hoping that this is unique to my Fit. I have tracked down where almost all the noises are coming from, and most of them should be easy to fix (except the glove box rattle, but there's an entire thread devoted to that).

I'll update later with some pictures just incase anyone else is having the same rattles.
Thanks Davemcgav, I certainly hope you resolve the squeak/rattle issues on your FiT.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Unhappy I'm starting to get them too!

I'm at 3+ months/ 7500 miles and now they're developing.

First I had the dreaded glovebox rattle.

Now I'm getting one that sounds like a loose screw rolling around inside the right side of the dash or front passenger door.

Anyone else have these?

Last edited by jrlnc; 04-05-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Most new Hondas/Acuras have lots of rattles now. Lots of plastic and cost-cutting. They don't make 'em like they used to, starting from I'd say 2001 on.

Good news about the glove box rattle. If you can duplicate it to the dealer, a new glove box under warranty should fix it. My new box hasn't rattled since.

I'm battling 2 annoying rattles right now. A third that's more intermittent, when it's sitting in the sun.

One is from the driver seatbelt area, right next to my left ear. I've been trying to isolate it for a couple of months and I may just have narrowed it to the front door weather stripping by the window. I'm trying to fix it myself.

My other one is from the passenger side vent. I've had noises in this area for most of my ownership. Annoying.

Good news is the car drives great, which to me is most important.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi all, I bought my fit on february and since I have it I heard a lot of noises, I agree that are all the cheap plastics but I´m dissapointing too with de build quiality, It´s my first Honda I thought that the quality would be better, but the car is good enjoy it, I think we will have to learn to live with all those noises.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PANCHO
Hi all, I bought my fit on february and since I have it I heard a lot of noises, I agree that are all the cheap plastics but I´m dissapointing too with de build quiality, It´s my first Honda I thought that the quality would be better, but the car is good enjoy it, I think we will have to learn to live with all those noises.
Maybe we should drive with the sound system always ON. Hopefully it will drown all the squeaks/rattles.

So far our FiT has no squeaks/rattles and is fun to drive. Guess, I can only hope it stays that way for a while.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc

Now I'm getting one that sounds like a loose screw rolling around inside the right side of the dash or front passenger door.

Anyone else have these?

I've got this, only it's coming from the back - I believe the hatch door. I've never really taken a close look but I may try to get to it myself. If not, I'll let the dealer deal with it, because it's annoying.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
did you check your glove to see if it has stuff that may rattle like pens sunglasses, also your little side door cuby, Ive put 15K on mine and I hear rattles, but when I shift stuff around they stop...

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
my car is extremely rattly, from the inside plastic rattles to my extremely loud flywheel when in low rpms...as somebody else stated, just blast your stereo, thats what i do, doesnt bother me ;]

Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Turning up the radio is not everyone's solution. Besides, who doesn't know to do that if they really wanted to?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Exclamation Already checked!

Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
did you check your glove to see if it has stuff that may rattle like pens sunglasses, also your little side door cuby, Ive put 15K on mine and I hear rattles, but when I shift stuff around they stop...
Yeah, I thought about that.

But no, both gloveboxes are completely empty as is the door pocket/cupholders.

The Fit is a nice car, it doesn't deserve these rattles.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has developed rattles in the dash during the first 1000 miles. They go away when the heater warms the dash. Still, it's disappointing that such an otherwise fine car should have this problem.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Turning up the radio is not everyone's solution. Besides, who doesn't know to do that if they really wanted to?

its a simple solution...we didnt say its everyones, at least we suggested something and gave our opinions on it. sometimes people over look simple solutions and need reminding...or they think its a bigger problem than it is, and hearing that some people just 'turn it up' might put their mind at ease considering we have the same problems and just get over it and turn the stereo up a little louder. hope ya felt cool for the few moments it took you to post your useless response

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
its a simple solution...we didnt say its everyones, at least we suggested something and gave our opinions on it. sometimes people over look simple solutions and need reminding...or they think its a bigger problem than it is, and hearing that some people just 'turn it up' might put their mind at ease considering we have the same problems and just get over it and turn the stereo up a little louder. hope ya felt cool for the few moments it took you to post your useless response
Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't know that a louder noise could drown out a softer one? If anything is useless, it's the "just turn up the radio" "solution", AND your last post. Maybe the only person that advice made a revelation to was you. People post their questions on rattles to get a solution to the SOURCE of the noise, not to ask how to drown out the noise.

Last edited by CrystalFiveMT; 04-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Lots of rattles and strange noises