2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Does everyone's glove box rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Does everyone's glove box rattle?

Just wondering. I've read on here that some people drive with it open since it is so annoying. I've been doing the same thing that past few days.
It rattles even with the owners manual etc. out of it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Mine does, I've been meaning to take it into the local dealership to take care of it

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
mine does but if I took everything out, it might not. Try tightening the screws down

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
ive heard mine do it here and there. i mainly get like a shifting noise coming from the cluster area

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Knock on wood, my car does not have a single rattle.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have not noticed a single rattle myself either....That's not to say that there isn't a rattle, just that I've never really heard one knowingly. Is it that noticable? I'll try to ear in and turn down my music on my next drive this afternoon

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I don't have any rattles either.............

Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I have not noticed a single rattle myself either....That's not to say that there isn't a rattle, just that I've never really heard one knowingly. Is it that noticable? I'll try to ear in and turn down my music on my next drive this afternoon
It takes some pretty decent sized "potholes" in the highway (>2" deep or so). Also, just one pothole won't really trigger the rattling. It has to be a series of "potholes" or roughed up highway. About 50-75 feet of broken up (not smooth) highway will do it. At slower speeds I'm sure a shorter distance of rough road will cause the rattling.

I was thinking of putting some adhesive backed foam around the edge of the glovebox in the hopes that it would eliminate the rattle.

Haven't tried it yet.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
The only time I ever hear rattling is if I forget to put the USB connector back in the holder when I remove my iPod. That tends to rattle around a bit if left out.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
I must've jinxed myself this past week when I said I finally got rid of the last annoying rattle.

My glove box has been a source of rattle(s) after some time of ownership, but now that my remaining annoying rattle was quelled, my glove box came alive and started to annoy me. I know I've heard quite a few others with glove box rattles with this car, so I'm glad I'm not alone. What's weird is when I bang on the glove box door when it's open, there's no noise. When I close it and bang on it or around it,there's some noise, but not necessarily the same rattle I hear when driving. I've wrapped many many velcro felt strips around it, even around the metal clip that the lock mechanism attaches to when shut, but now nothing's working.

I'd like to hear some feedback from those knowledgeable in taking apart the glove box door / hinge so I can work on it myself, rather than turning it over to the dealer.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
my only rattle is the driver side window.

it seems to be less or go away once the inside of the car is warm. but it's annoying because the rattle is next to my left ear and the car is new and i demand perfection and am easily annoyed. yay for me.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Mine rattles when it is very cold.

You should have a poll just to see how many people are affected.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
+1 for the glovebox rattle. It's not too loud though, and I only notice it driving over rough roads. Still annoying though.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
My rattle/buzz comes from over there, but it seems to not be the box but something under it. It resonates at around 4K rpm, so I hear it when I'm accelerating, drives me ape-$hit. It went away when it got colder, but now that we're having a spell of warm weather (probably 75 deg. F today, eat your heart out ), it's back. My wife is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS when it comes to helping me find the noise, I swear, you could have the fenders dragging on the pavement and she wouldn't notice it. I need to get one of my gearhead buddies to drive it while I find the source. Don't waste your time at the dealer, it won't make the noise for them, it's a law of physics.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
my glove box had rattled occasionally. don't know what caused it or what quieted it down. it just happened, and disappeared after awhile. weird.

this car definitely is very prone to rattling. everytime i didn't secure the sun visor to the holding clip it would rattle like crazy. maybe it's the stiffness of the suspension or something, but vibrations travel all over the car. i wish they can cushion the whole car on a giant piece of foam. otherwise it's an excellent car.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
my glove box had rattled occasionally. don't know what caused it or what quieted it down. it just happened, and disappeared after awhile. weird.

this car definitely is very prone to rattling. everytime i didn't secure the sun visor to the holding clip it would rattle like crazy. maybe it's the stiffness of the suspension or something, but vibrations travel all over the car. i wish they can cushion the whole car on a giant piece of foam. otherwise it's an excellent car.

I get the visor thing in every car ive own. its just the connection point shaking...most cars shake. I do get rattling that come and go in the glive but I have pens in side of them and they could be doing it...I also regularly remove items from the little cubby hole in the door...things like DVD's in that slot could also cauz rattling...I think at one point I will just straight up empty my glove...I mean you dont need the manual everywhere you go, or it could go in the back of the seat.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I hear a rattle every now and than. But I can't pin point whether its from the glove box or else where. Sometimes its just change rattling in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
I get the visor thing in every car ive own. its just the connection point shaking...most cars shake. I do get rattling that come and go in the glive but I have pens in side of them and they could be doing it...I also regularly remove items from the little cubby hole in the door...things like DVD's in that slot could also cauz rattling...I think at one point I will just straight up empty my glove...I mean you dont need the manual everywhere you go, or it could go in the back of the seat.
A bit off topic, but you can fit your owner's manual et al under the rear seat storage compartment. I think Honda designed it just for that because it's a perfect, uh, Fit. Then your main glove box now has more room for other stuff...or nothing.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks.. thats prolly what I'll do, I also got small rattles in the foot well of the drivers side and found that it was the really flimsy panel held on by a twist type mechanism, It actually helped to loosen the Mechanism so that the plastic on plastic vibration is eliminated...

Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
A bit off topic, but you can fit your owner's manual et al under the rear seat storage compartment. I think Honda designed it just for that because it's a perfect, uh, Fit. Then your main glove box now has more room for other stuff...or nothing.
rear seat storage compartment!?! or are do you mean the empty space under the seat? If there really is a compartment there that I dont know about, I'm going to go look at it right now. LOL

*EDIT* actually, if its a GE thing than nevermind. LOL

Quick Reply: Does everyone's glove box rattle?