2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Does everyone's glove box rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Update:

I took my car to the dealer today concerning the glove box noises. The tech tried applying some felt strips to the sides and after he saw that they didn't do squat, he said he has to order a new glove box, since they actually can't take the door apart.

Still looks like it's something to do with the latch.

I'll continue to keep you all informed.
Thanks for the update!

Darn, I was so hoping that the sticky dots would do the trick. Maybe the bigger (slightly thicker) rubber bumpers would work?

But I suppose a batch (batches?) of glove boxes could have warped???

I definitely want to know how the replacement goes too. If that's a perfect fix, then everyone can get down to the dealer and get the problem taken care of!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dakid
only rattle i have it my damn rear plate that ive been meaning to fix. work is killing me though. maybe this weekend
You can also try rubber o-rings between the screws and various parts of the plates and body.

Just like when you check your tires for air, give your plate screws a quick light tighten.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned
Yeah you should tighten the screws and not try to put more then it should hold in it as far as weight goes because you can then stretch something or do something to loosen the bolts or clips. The best thing to do is to remove it and put felt washers between all the clips and bolts so if it does rattle the felt washers keeps it quiet but should eliminate the problem acting like spacers. That would take about half an hr. The dealer would keep it for a day or 2 and work on it when ever they get around to it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
My lower glove box also seems to rattle a bit. Last night my wife put the salesman business card in the upper left hand corner between the door and the dash which seemed to fix it. Maybe it is the plastics hitting making the noise. Either way I am looking forward to hearing if the new glove box fixes the problem.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RUFit
My lower glove box also seems to rattle a bit. Last night my wife put the salesman business card in the upper left hand corner between the door and the dash which seemed to fix it. Maybe it is the plastics hitting making the noise. Either way I am looking forward to hearing if the new glove box fixes the problem.
As I've said in the previous pages, I tried applying felt in multiple places around the glove box. You name it I tried it. It's the latch assembly that's making my noise.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
No rattle here, surprisingly I haven't heard any rattle anywhere in the car YET....

I have 1300 miles on it right now and the weather here is cold 18 - 9 degrees.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I'll confirm that I have the lower glovebox rattle as well. The weather here is plenty cold and I don't doubt that's contributing to it. It goes away if I press on the glovebox door while I'm driving, so it is obviously coming from there. I haven't attempted any sort of fix so I'll wait to see what you all end up doing!

(Fingers crossed, this is my only rattle at the moment.)

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
I'll confirm that I have the lower glovebox rattle as well. The weather here is plenty cold and I don't doubt that's contributing to it. It goes away if I press on the glovebox door while I'm driving, so it is obviously coming from there. I haven't attempted any sort of fix so I'll wait to see what you all end up doing!

(Fingers crossed, this is my only rattle at the moment.)
It's been 80+º here in California and my rattles persist. I guess these rattles have no sense of season.

I just got a call from my dealer and they have the new glove box, so I'll be taking it in today or tomorrow. I've been driving with the glove box open and it's nice and quiet. Makes for a completely different driving experience.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

Took my car to the dealer at lunch today, and the tech installed the new glove box in about 15-20 minutes. I know only time will tell, but for what it's worth, no more rattle from the glove box. It was definitely the latch at fault. It's nice to drive with the glove box closed again and without any rattles!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

Took my car to the dealer at lunch today, and the tech installed the new glove box in about 15-20 minutes. I know only time will tell, but for what it's worth, no more rattle from the glove box. It was definitely the latch at fault. It's nice to drive with the glove box closed again and without any rattles!
YAY~

That's good news for you. And good news for everyone else. It's fixable!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Update:

Glad to hear that the new box fixed it. So far mine has not rattled since putting the paper between the two plastics in the upper left corner. It sounds like there might be multiple rattles possible or my latch has not worn enough yet to rattle without the card stock paper. That latter is definitely possible since it is not even a week old yet.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Just as I suspected, I thought I was hearing multiple noises coming from the glove box area. One of them was a single crack type of sound over certain bumps. I think there were at least 3, count 'em, 3 noises coming from the glove box and now with the new glove box installed, they're all gone...at least for now. (kneels and clasps hands together)

Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just as I suspected, I thought I was hearing multiple noises coming from the glove box area. One of them was a single crack type of sound over certain bumps. I think there were at least 3, count 'em, 3 noises coming from the glove box and now with the new glove box installed, they're all gone...at least for now. (kneels and clasps hands together)
Hahaha! It's good to hear how happy you are. Getting rid of that shake, rattle and roll makes all the difference.

I remember at the dealership having to ask the salesman if the car was running or not. It was THAT quiet, in comparison to what I was used to.

Even now, I am amazed at how quiet the FIT is, while sitting at a stop light I can't tell if it's running. And I know it's running while I'm driving, LOL, but it's still so incredibly quiet to me.

After reading about the various sounds people have been describing, like the glove box or shifting from reverse to drive, I listen to the car very carefully!

"What was that?"

"Was that a sound?"

"Was that the glove box?"

You all have me paranoid!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Hahaha! It's good to hear how happy you are. Getting rid of that shake, rattle and roll makes all the difference.

I remember at the dealership having to ask the salesman if the car was running or not. It was THAT quiet, in comparison to what I was used to.

Even now, I am amazed at how quiet the FIT is, while sitting at a stop light I can't tell if it's running. And I know it's running while I'm driving, LOL, but it's still so incredibly quiet to me.

After reading about the various sounds people have been describing, like the glove box or shifting from reverse to drive, I listen to the car very carefully!

"What was that?"

"Was that a sound?"

"Was that the glove box?"

You all have me paranoid!
Hehe, I know. I think we're all spoiled by how near-perfect the Fit is in terms of build. It's quiet enough and it exudes such craftsmanship that any noise coming from the car will be like an alarm. I especially have a complex about rattles and problems since my last 2 or 3 Hondas had so many rattles and problems.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hehe, I know. I think we're all spoiled by how near-perfect the Fit is in terms of build. It's quiet enough and it exudes such craftsmanship that any noise coming from the car will be like an alarm. I especially have a complex about rattles and problems since my last 2 or 3 Hondas had so many rattles and problems.
I too am very aware of rattles thanks to my previous VW. Here is hoping that Honda built this one better than my VW and your last three Honda's.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
mine doesnt rattle or maybe i havent noticed it...

but my trunk on the other hand is a different story, ever since i lowered my car all it does is rattles ugh!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Wanted to say that at 200 miles my dash latch is definitely rattling; leaning over and holding the lever open ends it, and opening/shutting fixes it for a second.

Did anyone try actually spraying silicone in the latch itself? That might lube up some of the bits in there. I am probably going to do that this weekend.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kindofblue
Wanted to say that at 200 miles my dash latch is definitely rattling; leaning over and holding the lever open ends it, and opening/shutting fixes it for a second.

Did anyone try actually spraying silicone in the latch itself? That might lube up some of the bits in there. I am probably going to do that this weekend.
If your rattle is anything like mine was, that won't work since it's a loosening of the bits in the latch that's the problem.

After weeks with a replaced glove box I am happy to report that the noises are gone from that area.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
mine rattled the first couple of weeks after driving it home. It was cold, and I noticed it more prominent when I leave the car door open and cold air get inside. Later on noticed if I leave the glove box closed for a while, it goes away, but if I open it and then close, it comes back briefly. Somethings that may affect it are:

Warm weather.
Storing something heavy in there to dampen or pull on it.

Either way it's gone now in my car.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I have not experienced any rattling what-so-ever. I feel like my car is built just fine and should not have any problems, at least from what I see. I dunno, suxors for you guys who have it. You sure you guys just aren't bumping the base a little too hard? :P

Quick Reply: Does everyone's glove box rattle?