2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Does everyone's glove box rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
rear seat storage compartment!?! or are do you mean the empty space under the seat? If there really is a compartment there that I dont know about, I'm going to go look at it right now. LOL

*EDIT* actually, if its a GE thing than nevermind. LOL
Yes, it's under the driver side rear seat. Flip it up and you'll see a locking rectangular compartment. Enjoy!

Oh, I just read that you have the GD. Like you said, never mind. Lol.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Yes, it's under the driver side rear seat. Flip it up and you'll see a locking rectangular compartment. Enjoy!

Oh, I just read that you have the GD. Like you said, never mind. Lol.
LOL! damn it. Also i didnt see that this is the "GE" forum. silly me. LOL.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
H*LL YEAH!!!Mine rattle all the time,espacially these days,we have around -30 dregree celsius for the past 3 days,and it worst then usual.Diving me nuts!!!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 08 nor 09's glove boxes rattle. but the dash on my 08 sometimes rattles....

Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
only rattle i have it my damn rear plate that ive been meaning to fix. work is killing me though. maybe this weekend

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Yep, mine too.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Probably related in part to the temperature. Everything else expands or contracts as a result of the temperature, why not the glove box hinges? When it's really cold there may be more room to rattle around.

expansion : is when it increases in temperature it increases in its substance
contraction: is when it decreases in the temperature it decreases in the substance too.

Example of thermal expansion related to autos:
One of the reasons for the poor performance of cold car engines is that parts have inefficiently large spacings until the normal operating temperature is achieved.

Source: Thermal expansion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the car is made for the least amount of rattles in a fairly decent range. Hondas do have good fit and finish.

The more the temperature varies, between seasons and between night and day, the more likely there will be rattles. Likewise, the road conditions. And even stereos.

So, try to establish a pattern. What's the temperature when it's rattling? Some folks may have to wait until spring or summer for their rattle to go away. Only to find it starts coming back in autumn. The car isn't defective, then, it's the weather and a property of thermodynamics.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Not me(yet) ajjaja

Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 PM
My bottom glove box started to rattle after having the car two months. Not all the time. Stops when I leave it open. It's too cold ouside to look into it. Another spring project.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ask the question "Does everybody's car do this?" and even if every single car does it (no exceptions), you will find someone who swears their car doesn't do it.

Maybe I got lucky, but neither one of my glove compartments rattles, not even in today's 15 degree weather. Honestly!

Last edited by badself; 01-16-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Lightbulb

Mine rattles llike hell. I will find a way to make it stop though....

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boostedk20a2
Mine rattles llike hell. I will find a way to make it stop though....
Does everyone HAVE stuff in the glove boxes? I don't have anything, other than the disabled placard in the top glove box.

I had to clean out my old car's glove box the day I got the new car, and I swore I wouldn't junk up the new one. I found pens and pennies and matches and perfume gone bad. LOL!

What DOES everyone put in their glove box? And why?

Mine doesn't rattle. At all.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
I keep the bare minimum in mine: owners manual, insurance and registration.
However even with everything taken out, still a rattle

Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Does everyone HAVE stuff in the glove boxes? I don't have anything, other than the disabled placard in the top glove box.

I had to clean out my old car's glove box the day I got the new car, and I swore I wouldn't junk up the new one. I found pens and pennies and matches and perfume gone bad. LOL!

What DOES everyone put in their glove box? And why?

Mine doesn't rattle. At all.
How insulting!!

Yes, even if you take everything out of both glove boxes, the same rattle(s) remain.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
How insulting!!

Yes, even if you take everything out of both glove boxes, the same rattle(s) remain.
Why do you think it was insulting? It wasn't meant to be. Sorry it was taken that way.

The lower glove box opens down, like a bin. And it's right there where passenger knees could perhaps bang on it. It's pretty big too.

I thought maybe people could be putting something heavy in there. If it's heavy, it would be pulling down on that latch. So that maybe the latch itself is rattling. I don't know. That's why I asked what people put in there.

My old car had the endless rattle on the glove compartment, it was a top-type one. Most of the time the rattle WAS at the hinge. But it was old and worn and not really a surprise.

I'm just kind of surprised that the new cars would develop rattles so soon. And if it's preventable. Either by being extra super careful, or by all of us being able to track it down and then Honda could maybe offer a fix.

For instance, if it is a very lightweight latch, maybe there is something heavier duty that wouldn't rattle. Or some kind of home "fix" where a teeny bit of duct tape gently placed on whatever the latch latches onto would keep it from rattling. Or those stick-on felt bits for the bottom of coasters.

Although I'm sure that folks here would have other solutions, with all the things that people do for their cars.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, Taffeta, I didn't know you were inferring that the weight of the contents in the glove box would cause the latch to rattle. I thought you meant the contents inside are rattling.

But I do think you're correct about the latch. That's where I think mine is rattling. When I have the glove box open and bang on the door, there's no rattling. When it's closed and I bang on it there's some rattling nearby, but it's not the same noise as when driving.

I made an appt with my dealer next week to check the glove box rattle. It'll be interesting what they find.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, Taffeta, I didn't know you were inferring that the weight of the contents in the glove box would cause the latch to rattle. I thought you meant the contents inside are rattling.

But I do think you're correct about the latch. That's where I think mine is rattling. When I have the glove box open and bang on the door, there's no rattling. When it's closed and I bang on it there's some rattling nearby, but it's not the same noise as when driving.

I made an appt with my dealer next week to check the glove box rattle. It'll be interesting what they find.
I stuck my finger in the hole where the latch would latch, it's a plastic/rubber coated bar that the latch attaches to. If the glove compartment was opened and closed a lot, or had heavy contents, that could perhaps make a "dent" or wear spot?

I also wondered if the corners of the glove box, the outside corners to the left and right of the latch, could be the rattlers. Like if that latch wasn't holding as tight, that the edges might shift???

If it was the corners, that would be real easy to fix, I bet the rubber sticky dots would work. Or the felt, like here:
Pressure sensitive adhesive backed felts, cork & rubber

Rubber:
#208 1/2 D x 1/8 Black Adhesive Rubber Dot Bumper

Or these polyurethane ones:
IEC's polyurethane bumpers, clear vinyl pads - LevelingMounts.com - leveling mounts, adjustable levelers, leveling glides, leg levelers, leveling feet, leveling pads, vibration mounts, swivel levelers, rigid levelers, swivel glides, cabinet hardware

They are used for a variety of purposes. Bottoms of lamps for the felt ones. Rubber is often used for the bottoms of coasters. So hardware stores, crafts stores.

I used a bunch of the green felt stick ons for my kitchen cabinets after refinishing them (many years back) because the doors made too much noise when closing (wood on wood, BANG!!!). Used the felt around the front door, and even went down the hall and put the felt ones around the trash room's door.

The felt is also useful for the corners on the back of picture frames, so they don't scrape or scratch or mar the wall, or the wall paint. They are felt, so they can be cut too.

You don't HAVE to adhere them either, if you want to try it out for a day. Use regular scotch tape, make a roll of it, so it sticks on both sides, and apply the sticky dot WITH IT'S BACKING STILL ON to the corners of the glove box. That way you don't have to try to scrape off a sticky dot if it doesn't fix the problem. Because they stick REALLY GOOD.

I have not had to take one off the cabinets or the front door, and none have fallen off either, in over ten years. Closer to 15 years maybe??? They do tend to compress over time, leaving less padding. But I'm talking about heavy doors, like the front entrance door, it's solid. And it slams. So a sticky felt dot should last forever for a glove compartment.

And I'm pretty sure I still have some leftover from 15 years ago.

If you try out some kind and it works well, let everyone else know which ones. Or share them at the next local FitFreak gathering!

The green felt ones I got for my cabinet doors are something like this, and they are so cheap!:
Kunin Presto Felt Pads Kelly Green Product Detail -- CreateForLess

A couple bucks at a local store, and you could be set for all your sticky felt dot needs for a lifetime. LOL! They might not be quite thick enough though, I just don't know how much or where the glove box is shifting.

But you don't want them too thick either, or your glovebox won't close.

You could check an approximate thickness via anything doughy and plastic wrap (saran wrap). Doughy stuff like Plah-Doh, actual cookie dough or pie crust dough. A small wad at each corner covered in plastic wrap and slightly warmed. Close the glove box.

Reopen box, and check the thickness of the squashed dough in plastic wrap. Gum in plastic wrap would probably work too.

If any of the folks here are gum-chewers, you can even check today to see if a little pad at each corner would help, with your gum and the wrapper the gum came in. Chew a stick, divide it, tear the wrapper in half, put half the gum in one of the half wrappers, and tuck the wrapped wad in each corner of the glove box.

If that stops the rattle, then you know what to get and what size.

Please, no wads of gum stuck by themselves to stop the rattle!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I've applied tons of the felt side of velcro that I cut to size. I've applied everywhere, even inside the latch. It may have been successful in the past, but not right now. Seems like I have to pry open the actual glove door to get access to the latch and find a rattle. Again, what's weird is if I bang on the open glove door I don't hear a rattle.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I've had the rattles since day one on the highway. comes on usually with consistent potholes or uneven road surface. the bottom glove compartment seems to be the source. If I have no music on it's very annoying.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

I took my car to the dealer today concerning the glove box noises. The tech tried applying some felt strips to the sides and after he saw that they didn't do squat, he said he has to order a new glove box, since they actually can't take the door apart.

Still looks like it's something to do with the latch.

I'll continue to keep you all informed.

Quick Reply: Does everyone's glove box rattle?