2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gregdeezey
Yeah, they are pretty decent kayaks 😉
Wait, your sister's a kayak?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wzlfit
Wait, your sister's a kayak?
Yeah, nice huh. 😉👍🏼

Old 09-22-2015, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gregdeezey
Yeah, nice huh. 😉👍🏼
Way more useful than my sister

Old 09-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I found these mugen replicas side skirts on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-14-HONDA-FIT-GE8-JDM-RS-Mugen-style-Side-Skirts-UNPAINTED-PP-/171943269566?hash=item28089e14be
Has anyone ordered a pair of this ? I've already quoted these skirts on local shop in fiberglass painted but don't know if polypropylene would be a better material in the long run.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmj0
I remember Andrew mentioned that it requires some slight modification to get it to fit. Am I remembering correctly? How did the install go?
Yes you do have to drill holes into your bumper to fit the new grill. The new holes you still will be visible if your replace the mugen grill back to the stock grill so be warned. Overall it was an easy install if you have removed the grill before.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cajlog

09 14 Honda Fit GE8 JDM RS Mugen Style Side Skirts Unpainted PP | eBay

Has anyone ordered a pair of this ? I've already quoted these skirts on local shop in fiberglass painted but don't know if polypropylene would be a better material in the long run.
Fiberglass for a side skirt is an acceptable material. Polyurethane is better for front bumpers and front lips because it is a bendable plastic so it is more durable if it gets damaged as most damage does come from the front. Fiberglass will tear and brake apart. But for a side skirt area which doesn't normally get too much damage it should be fine.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy
Using Stainless Steel wire ropes and some swaging I was able create a device to limit rear trailing arm travel without modifying the damper, thus eliminate the need for helper springs, which was causing some weird behaviour from trailing arm deflection during turns and bumps.

The rubber isolator for the Bilstein rear adjustable spring perch was modified from Honda factory part, which provided much more surface area compared to the Bilstein part.

The ropes have a 290lbs working strength and 1450lbs breaking strength per side, so should be plenty strong for the application.

I'll be putting up more pictures in my build thread.
almost missed this post with those flossed cheeks below...

anyways is this rig to keep your springs from jumping out if you catch air time? or is it purely to save your dampers? love to hear about how its working

Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Can you show me how it looks with the EZLip ? That's another option I've been considering.

Those are fake ones, spent about $22 on them and look manly beautiful; got them from ebay: For 09 14 Honda Fit Smoke Tint Window Visor Mug Style Sun Rain Deflector Guard | eBay

I also noticed the mirrors have a huge blind spot, I added some "JDM" magnifiers on them for my safety and actually they don't look that bad.

Here's mine with the ezlip. I'm lowered on eibach pros. Name:  FB_IMG_1438636748112_zpspu6psljy.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  93.8 KB

Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Xtina
Here's mine with the ezlip. I'm lowered on eibach pros.
I like your day-glo rims, did you just paint the factory steel wheels? I wonder what color would look good on my TBM.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM
added shark fin antenna

Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by 2010BaseFit
added shark fin antenna

Where did you buy it from ?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by 2010BaseFit
I like your day-glo rims, did you just paint the factory steel wheels? I wonder what color would look good on my TBM.
thanks and ya just he factory steelies.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Where did you buy it from ?
visual garage

Old 09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by space egg
almost missed this post with those flossed cheeks below...

anyways is this rig to keep your springs from jumping out if you catch air time? or is it purely to save your dampers? love to hear about how its working
That's pretty much the idea... Basically the Wire shortens the damper stroke by about 1.3 inches and is at slack majority of the time, and only comes into effect when the car catches air time or when servicing the car. Without it the spring wouldn't self locate once the rear trailing arm spring seat length extends past the springs' free length, which would understandably be quite dangerous on the road.

The proper way to do this would be to shorten the damper rod length or shim its travel, but I don't have access to that sort of service where I live...

Anyway its been 2 weeks since it was installed, and have yet to experience any problem. I made sure everything was taut, and there were no point of contact that would cause noise inside the cabin. Also at full droop it was able to hold my weight hanging off one wheel easily, so I feel pretty confident about the whole setup.

The only issue I can imagine is work hardening of the wire rope from vibration and general suspension movement... although I can not find any article on the topic, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 09-23-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member

09 14 Honda Fit GE8 JDM RS Mugen Style Side Skirts Unpainted PP | eBay

Man, this is mighty tempting...

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned
That's pretty much the idea... Basically the Wire shortens the damper stroke by about 1.3 inches and is at slack majority of the time, and only comes into effect when the car catches air time or when servicing the car. Without it the spring wouldn't self locate once the rear trailing arm spring seat length extends past the springs' free length, which would understandably be quite dangerous on the road.

The proper way to do this would be to shorten the damper rod length or shim its travel, but I don't have access to that sort of service where I live...

Anyway its been 2 weeks since it was installed, and have yet to experience any problem. I made sure everything was taut, and there were no point of contact that would cause noise inside the cabin. Also at full droop it was able to hold my weight hanging off one wheel easily, so I feel pretty confident about the whole setup.

The only issue I can imagine is work hardening of the wire rope from vibration and general suspension movement... although I can not find any article on the topic, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
So with these, when you jack up your car, your springs won't fall out? That has to be one of the biggest pains of using coilovers for me. I jack up the front and have to guide the spring back in on the rear lol. If you were to make some more of these, how much would you sell them for?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:02 AM
Random pic taken today.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by counterFIT
So with these, when you jack up your car, your springs won't fall out? That has to be one of the biggest pains of using coilovers for me. I jack up the front and have to guide the spring back in on the rear lol. If you were to make some more of these, how much would you sell them for?
AFAIK there should be no need for this with a full coilover kit, especially on the N+ where afaik the damper can be shortened via the threaded body?

Do you mind taking a picture of your rear damper and spring setup? Riding on springs that can potentially fall out on big bumps seems super risky...

Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 AM
AFAIK there should be no need for this with a full coilover kit, especially on the N+ where afaik the damper can be shortened via the threaded body?

Do you mind taking a picture of your rear damper and spring setup? Riding on springs that can potentially fall out on big bumps seems super risky...
i think with ground control coilovers you get this problem because you're on stock dampers. just trying to look ahead before i buy them.

Last edited by space egg; 09-25-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  rSL7B3kl.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  57.3 KB

She was looking good so I decided to snap a pic

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?