2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Eulogy

Originally Posted by eulogy
change cabin filter and maybe mist lightly with febreez or diluted pure essential oils
Thank you Sir!
ive never changed a cabin filter
(budding car guy here &#128514is there easy access to that sucker?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
There have been other threads about it.

The search tool is your friend.

Or the owner's manual.

It is a very easy job.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Mike
I’m sure
I’m turning into my wife she asks a shit load of questions! 😂
I changed my Caravan battery in -10 winter last year
with some broken contact thingies so I’m not useless

Old 10-30-2018, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I apparently triggered a p0302 DTC and limp mode just as I was entering the highway... wonderful. I wonder if the threads holding the spark plug are useless.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I apparently triggered a p0302 DTC and limp mode just as I was entering the highway... wonderful. I wonder if the threads holding the spark plug are useless.
If you melted another ground electrode, please at least consider using one, or even two, heat ranges colder plugs.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Great idea for that space!
Not much else can fit in there, it's so shallow. I do wish it was on both seats though!

Old 10-31-2018, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
If you melted another ground electrode, please at least consider using one, or even two, heat ranges colder plugs.
It didn't melt before, it broke off from vibrations.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Painted my rear rotor hats. Pictures here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1416393

Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
While changing to winter tires, had the idea to put a little air also in the spare tire. Then, discovered water at the bottom of the trunk...

I'm quite pissed as this car is only 4.5 years old and it was the only car in which I didn't get water (also had leaks on my 00 Civic and my 05 Accord). I think there is a design problem from Honda with the water!

Hope it'll be covered by the extended warranty (valid until next summer), but they probably will tell me that they cannot reproduce the problem!

Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Shampooed and detailed and steam cleaned the interior getting it ready to install the Clazzio Seat Covers, due in this week. Had to wait 2 months for gray covers.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
While changing to winter tires, had the idea to put a little air also in the spare tire. Then, discovered water at the bottom of the trunk...

I'm quite pissed as this car is only 4.5 years old and it was the only car in which I didn't get water (also had leaks on my 00 Civic and my 05 Accord). I think there is a design problem from Honda with the water!

Hope it'll be covered by the extended warranty (valid until next summer), but they probably will tell me that they cannot reproduce the problem!
It might be a leak at the base of the antenna. Check the headliner at the rear for some discoloration. I put some silicon caulk around it and it's been great for several years since then. Even if Honda takes care of it for you it would be helpful to have more details to tell them.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by JerrySFL
Shampooed and detailed and steam cleaned the interior getting it ready to install the Clazzio Seat Covers, due in this week. Had to wait 2 months for gray covers.
looking forward to pics!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
It might be a leak at the base of the antenna. Check the headliner at the rear for some discoloration. I put some silicon caulk around it and it's been great for several years since then. Even if Honda takes care of it for you it would be helpful to have more details to tell them.
I have taken a video of the problem. Water is entering by the base of the rubber around the hatch (not the first time I have to deal with a leaking car!). You can see the video here (but I speak French, so you might not understand a thing I say in the video!): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yb2szxpkz2dodo/MVI_6418.MOV?dl=0

Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Air filter/anti rust spray

Hey Y’all
New air filter fixed the musty smell 👍
Is spraying an anti rust product from a spray can in strategic places a waste of time on the Fit?
I noticed most Fits do very well in that department of not rusting quickly
In Montreal we have something called “Krown” anti rust treatment which injects product into the panels which I know is effective I’m just not in the mood to put out a $100 for it this winter

Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MontrealFit2012
Hey Y’all
New air filter fixed the musty smell 👍
Is spraying an anti rust product from a spray can in strategic places a waste of time on the Fit?
I noticed most Fits do very well in that department of not rusting quickly
In Montreal we have something called “Krown” anti rust treatment which injects product into the panels which I know is effective I’m just not in the mood to put out a $100 for it this winter
I really feel for you guys in the rust belt. Personally, I'd try anything/everything! Most pics I see of GD and GE Fit's from up North just make me cringe. There's plenty of rust issues!

Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I really feel for you guys in the rust belt. Personally, I'd try anything/everything! Most pics I see of GD and GE Fit's from up North just make me cringe. There's plenty of rust issues!
A neighbor of mine has an 18 year old Fit so hard to notice any rust it’s nuts
I was wondering if just spraying superficially does anything because most rust comes from within

Old 11-05-2018, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Got hit with the CEL again yesterday. And much later that evening, I experienced for the 2nd time, the meaning of lift-off oversteer. Unfortunately, in this case, it ended up with me doing a 360 while on the off ramp.

What is MOST fortunate... probably obvious since I'm here posting... is that I'm fine. The Fit appears to be fine also. I mean, I thought for sure I was gonna hit the light post at the least... but it ended with me scraping the bottom of the Fit on the uneven ground (the ground next to the asphalt was lower than the height of the ramp). I didn't look at the bottom to see what the damage is since it was dark then and today, as usual, I got up late and it was already dark outside.

That aside, since today is a free day (from work), I did decide to do something else... and that was check the spark plugs. I didn't go through all four, instead only checked three. The reason being, I was being stupid. I initially started from the left (the passenger side) and decided afterwards to be lazy and only go for the one with the code... so I went to the second from the right since I had the code for P0302. Like the first one, this one was quite tight... so I moved to the second one from the left... and it was loose-ish. Yeah, I clearly don't know what the order is. Anyway, I couldn't turn it by hand, but it moved once I put the ratcheting wrench on while the other two didn't. I didn't check the last one, cause I'm lazy, duh. And I intend on swapping out the plugs for new ones with some thread locker when ever the package arrives. I'm gonna try the "colder" plugs, but I suspect if anything works, it'll be the thread locker... and that's only IF anything works at all since the threads could be too far gone. We'll see how that goes.

As soon as I finished the checking, I turned on the engine to check... and the CEL immediately turned itself off. I think it had more to do with how the misfire only triggered at the beginning when the engine hadn't warmed up yet and wasn't triggering the rest of yesterday evening (with the CEL ready to turn off since it no longer detected the issue that triggered it). My guess is that the spark plug came loose a bit. Then, while the engine is cold, the metal contracts away from the spark plug oh-so-slightly that there ends up being a compression leak when I push the engine. Then, after the engine has warmed up a bit, the metal expands that oh-so-slightly bit back, and essentially re-seals the chamber enough to avoid the misfire. The DTC itself is still there though (checked through UG).

Last edited by Goobers; 11-05-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Goobers, I used the blue Permatex threadlocker "paste" and had good results for the last 30K miles but I've never done donuts due to my driving style. So, try the threadlocker but depending on the condition of the spark plug / cylinder head thread interface and how hard you drive the engine, it may not be enough.

For me, I put a dab of the blue paste at the electrode end of the plug and then used my finger to smear it in a line down towards the base of the plug. It wasn't a "ton" of paste but you could see it in the valleys of the threads about 3/8" wide but the "peaks" of the threads were clean. That amount worked for me and I'm still using the original coil packs but replaced the plugs (thought maybe new crush washers would hold the plugs tight but #2 & #3 loosened up again and then I used the threadlocker) when this happened. I'm approaching 75K miles (I have a pickup and 3 motorcycles, so the '11 Sport AT isn't used every day). Best of luck.

Last edited by spike55_bmw; 11-06-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MontrealFit2012

A neighbor of mine has an 18 year old Fit so hard to notice any rust it’s nuts
I was wondering if just spraying superficially does anything because most rust comes from within
First MY of Fit in Canada is 2007!! No 2000 Fit here!

Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerrySFL
You will like them. Had mine for years now. I installed heating pads underneath them. Also just added a new arm rest and handbrake cover.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?