2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks old and windshield cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by pbanders
Most people here in Phoenix have full glass on their insurance. Between the two minivans I've owned over the 12 years I've lived here in Phoenix, I've had ~10 windshields replaced - no cost.
I was only in Arizona one time, round trip from Dallas to Prescott, and dang if I didn't crack a windshield (in my 02 Boxster S) on the way back, not 10 miles out of Prescott. The rock took a serious chunk about the size of a quarter in diameter out of the windshield. So I can believe your statement above.

The only other vehicle I've ever replaced a windshield on was a Jeep Wrangler. No off roading and yet, we replaced the windshield twice in 12 months/15,000 miles. Any rock hit was a virtual certainty to crack the windshield because it had almost no rake to it at all. The Fit, in comparison, should be much less risk of windshield damage.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I had my 2nd chip last weekend, and in less than 3 hours it started creating a crack upward and downward all the way. Now it's about 12" or so. I wonder if I should replace it now or later....

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 AM
I had something similar happen to me. The windshield seems pretty weak. At first the crack was only 7 inches long, then by the next day it got longer, and by the end of the week it started to curve and ended up being 24 inches long. I ended up getting it replaced cuz the crack was in my line of sight when i drive. It took about an hour to replace it. 400 bucks but its not oem. But it looks the same. Hope everythin works out!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm going to revive this thread. I had a similar incident on my car but it wasn't because a stone. I was driving with my window down and the car got a little chilly (outside temp was about 45-50) so I closed my window and turned the heat on. Unfortunatly for me I left the defroster on and about 5 minutes later while sitting at a stop light with no one around my drivers side quarter window made a loud pop and shattered. Initially I thought something had struck the car but there are no dents anywhere else on the car and there's no hole in the glass or the protective film. I've only had the car for a month so my dealer told me to bring it in for inspection. Hopefully they'll warrenty it.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by red600
I'm going to revive this thread. I had a similar incident on my car but it wasn't because a stone. I was driving with my window down and the car got a little chilly (outside temp was about 45-50) so I closed my window and turned the heat on. Unfortunatly for me I left the defroster on and about 5 minutes later while sitting at a stop light with no one around my drivers side quarter window made a loud pop and shattered. Initially I thought something had struck the car but there are no dents anywhere else on the car and there's no hole in the glass or the protective film. I've only had the car for a month so my dealer told me to bring it in for inspection. Hopefully they'll warrenty it.
Funny you revived this thread. Yesterday was very snowy here in Dallas and I had to use the defroster to clear the windshield. About 10 minutes later while driving home a crack appeared at the windshield edge directly above the drivers side defroster. Being right in front of me I had the pleasure of watching it grow to a couple feet long in a matter of seconds. Anybody know what you have to do to convince the dealer that it wasn't a rock? There is clearly no impact mark. Is that enough?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fredric_richmond
Funny you revived this thread. Yesterday was very snowy here in Dallas and I had to use the defroster to clear the windshield. About 10 minutes later while driving home a crack appeared at the windshield edge directly above the drivers side defroster. Being right in front of me I had the pleasure of watching it grow to a couple feet long in a matter of seconds. Anybody know what you have to do to convince the dealer that it wasn't a rock? There is clearly no impact mark. Is that enough?
Make your case carefully. Refer to it as a stress fracture triggered by temperature and not a crack. Expect to be turned down and then escalate to the next level. A new Honda windshield installed is about $800. An aftermarket windshield about $400. (took a rock and had mine repaired for $60, but a two foot crack isn't going to buff out).

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Happened to me to...Had the 09 for 2 months when a street sweeper (?!??!?) kicked up a rock and pegged me....1 hr later it expanded to a crack about 8 inches long and I had to replace it to the tune of $500...

Since then I went to Autozone, purchased a fix windshield kit and keep it in the dash....I've had several other rocks hit, sometimes leaving chip marks, but have used the kit to keep it together and prevent it from spreading...a must for fit owners...I think the size of the glass and the angle its in maximizes impact (my 06 accord had no cracks in 9 years of similar driving)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just went out and carefully examined the crack. Found the tiniest little crater right at the point where the black part of the window ends. Guess the heat caused that crater to expand into a full blown crack. I'm out of luck on this one. Time to check the insurance.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
They do seem to be rock magnets.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by red600
I took my car down for inspection and they were suspicious instantly, telling me that debris impact isn't covered under warranty. I pointed out that there was no other damage to the car anywhere other than to the glass with the crack originating right where the defroster vent blows onto the glass. I also pointed out that there was no large hole in the protective film nor was there any glass missing and that that an impact strong enough to break the glass by either debris impact or vandalism would cause some movement of the glass into the cabin. The initial inspector disagreed and escalated it to the inspection manager who immediately agreed it was most likely thermal stress and would be cover under warranty.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I commute on Interstate 80 between Vacaville and Sacramento everyday. Particularly in front of UC Davis, the road is at it's gnarliest with cracks, pot holes, and debris. And the tractor trailers fling that debris onto your car.Seriously, I think Manhattan's roads are in better condition. So far I have one 6 inch crack and two nicks right in front of my windshild wipers. I didn't even mention the condition of my hood and condenser (not pretty).

My car is like Benjamon Button. It's a year old but looks like it has 80,000 miles on it.

Last edited by mtunofun; 02-12-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
It really depends on where you live and the type of traffic that drives your roads. I drove for 13 years in NJ with not a single windshield replacement. 2 years in PA with 1 windshield replaced, and now in VT, in 6 years, I've had 4 windshields (2 on the civic, 1 on the Ridgeline, 1 on the Altima). I've also had a number of chips filled in to prevent cracks.

he one thing on every one of the windshields that I've replaced is that the rock struck near the edge of the windshield. Rocks that hit more towards the center, just leave a chip or bullseye that is is repairable. Crack near the edge just seem to blossom, probably due to their proximity to where they attach to the car and the stress that is placed at those points.

every winter, we change our deductable as the insurance company does not have the option of full glass here in VT. If I lived in NY, they have that option... ugh. Fortunately, they repair all chips at no charge.

Originally Posted by Steve244
Make your case carefully. Refer to it as a stress fracture triggered by temperature and not a crack. Expect to be turned down and then escalate to the next level. A new Honda windshield installed is about $800. An aftermarket windshield about $400. (took a rock and had mine repaired for $60, but a two foot crack isn't going to buff out).
Not quite sure where you are getting your windshields but we've had our Ridgeline windshield replaced already once at the dealer. There is a Glass shop across the road that from the dealership that they use for installs as they don't do it at the dealer. For a Honda Glass Windshield with Defroster elements built in was under $500 installed. The Aftermarket Glass was actually going to cost $550 so I had the Honda Dealer order the glass, then dropped the Ridge off at the dealer. I had them to change the oil, replace the windshield, and put it all on one bill.

~SB

Old 02-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I have been hit by rocks like 10000 times lol my hoods pritty chipped but not a mark on the windshild I guess I'm just lucky

Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
It really depends on where you live and the type of traffic that drives your roads. I drove for 13 years in NJ with not a single windshield replacement. 2 years in PA with 1 windshield replaced, and now in VT, in 6 years, I've had 4 windshields (2 on the civic, 1 on the Ridgeline, 1 on the Altima). I've also had a number of chips filled in to prevent cracks.

he one thing on every one of the windshields that I've replaced is that the rock struck near the edge of the windshield. Rocks that hit more towards the center, just leave a chip or bullseye that is is repairable. Crack near the edge just seem to blossom, probably due to their proximity to where they attach to the car and the stress that is placed at those points.

every winter, we change our deductable as the insurance company does not have the option of full glass here in VT. If I lived in NY, they have that option... ugh. Fortunately, they repair all chips at no charge.

Not quite sure where you are getting your windshields but we've had our Ridgeline windshield replaced already once at the dealer. There is a Glass shop across the road that from the dealership that they use for installs as they don't do it at the dealer. For a Honda Glass Windshield with Defroster elements built in was under $500 installed. The Aftermarket Glass was actually going to cost $550 so I had the Honda Dealer order the glass, then dropped the Ridge off at the dealer. I had them to change the oil, replace the windshield, and put it all on one bill.

~SB
$780 was the quote from the local honda dealer (they don't do them either, but contract it out). The glass is $590 from Honda. Safelite wanted $420 installed.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Last Friday Atlanta got hit with a snow and ice storm. Was going through stop light with wipers going and defrost on and heard a loud CRACK....I looked and did not see anything. The ice and rain made it hard to see anything, but when I got home - I saw what you see below in the pic. It is now over 14" long and right in front of me.

I also inspected the windshield and there is the tiniest little rock chip near the crack and not sure if this has anything to do with it.

My GE is only 8 months old and with 6k miles and already called my rep. Not sure they will cover this or not.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Add my Fit to the list of casualties. Took 18 months, but it finally fell victim to a highway pebble.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Ditto on the Phoenix coverage. Every car I ever had here has had its windshield broken. My Fit got a chip the first 10 days. Thanks for Novus..saved a full windshield.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah - looks like dealer may not cover this one. There are no TSB's concerning issues now with windshield complaints so I may be looking at a 3rd party for repairs and through my insurance.

I will say this....out of 13 cars I have owned in my life, I have yet to experience a crack like this one. Even my 2 mazdas that are pitted with very small chips, windshields are not craxked.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I won't kick a dead horse here too much but wanted to add my experience to the list... I have an 09 fit that is 9 months old. Yesterday it was below zero in the morning (Celsius that is...) and it got quite warm throughout the day.

I parked my car at work, no problems. I got him my fit to go home and there is a crack in the lower middle of the glass. I have run my fingers over this crack and there is not even the slightest nick anywhere. I don't recall it getting hit and I am quite certain that it was not hit while parked. Thus I am left to think that it is a stress fracture caused by the temperature fluctuation. Anyone in Canada have this issue; if you did any luck getting Honda to replace it under warranty? Anyone in Ottawa with this? I am not impressed. If I wasn't such a forum newb I would attach a pic...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I got two cracks on my windshield. Went through my insurance and got it replaced for $100.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old and windshield cracked