2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks old and windshield cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
2 weeks old and windshield cracked

I was driving down the highway and the smallest rock hit my windshield and chipped it. The next day I was going to have it repaired but when I went out to the car there was a 14" crack going right across in front of the driver's seat.

Anyone else have a windshield crack? Are they really this weak?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Where are you guys driving that this is happening? If it's not cracked windshields, it's broken A/C condensers. It's getting so I'm scared to drive mine.

Seriously, a stone chip may or may not expand into a crack, and you never know how it will go. Mine hasn't cracked yet, but I cleaned some bird poop off the windshield and the poop scratched the windshield. That bird must have been eating sand. I've never had that happen before, either.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking that Honda used thinner windshields to keep weight down and increase fuel economy.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
That wouldn't surprise me. I also wonder if the body rigidity through the cowl is a bit marginal. That would tend to stress the glass and make a chip more likely to spread into a crack.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I had a rock the size of a golf ball explode on my Fit's windshield (hurled from a military truck's wheel as I was passing it on the freeway, at 80 mph). I thought it had blown a hole the size of my fist through it, it made the whole interior make a "boing!" noise when it hit. Only left two scuff marks, no crack at all.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Low deductibles on comprehensive. That's the key.

Cheers.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Where are you guys driving that this is happening? If it's not cracked windshields, it's broken A/C condensers. It's getting so I'm scared to drive mine.
lol. exactly.

i have a pin prick size chip in mine. i was told it wont get worse.

on a different part of the windshield there appears to be a several inch long crack, but it only appears when the sun hits the windshield at a very specific angle. it's totally invisible otherwise... and a close examination of the windshield on the outside shows no sign of any problem. so i dont know what to make of it.

my guess is the windshield sucks.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Maybe it hits so hard man...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
WOW this is exactly what happened to me too....I owned the car for two weeks and some dude in his Diesel Dodge Ram decides to cut me off and managed to throw two stones into my windshield....one chip and one 14" crack on the passenger side windshield....also put a small chip in my hood ....I don't think I've been more sad and mad at the same time.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I am sure the shape of the windshield doesn't help things. A square isn't exactly a structural engineers dream, so a chip might be more likely to spread into a crack on the Fit than other "normal" windshield shapes.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Most people here in Phoenix have full glass on their insurance. Between the two minivans I've owned over the 12 years I've lived here in Phoenix, I've had ~10 windshields replaced - no cost.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Stress cracks in windshields are a well known problem. Over the years,I have seen several of my cars (none Hondas) get a modest sized stone chip which blossomed into a long crack. It is in the nature of the type of glass used for windshields. The GE Fit is probably a bit more prone to this problem, since the windshield is uncommonly large.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
That's why I carry full glass coverage on my auto insurance. Check into it, it's quite reasonable.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I work at honda of canada mfg and have group rate insurance as it is a company car however I'm still responsible for it.

hopefully we have windshield insurance...

Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
gwh
had windshield crack after going over a frost heave at only35mph.
dealer took care of this thru honda this time,for good customer relations.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife uses my GE8 on a pretty much daily basis and does some long trips sometimes to her clients through cities and rural areas.

no issue here. and i know she's really not careful with the car either. i think you guys just had some bad luck. can happen to any car, imho.

ive had my GD for 1.5yrs and no winshield crack or anything, but got wacked on the front passengers side fender by a truck a few months ago. hahahaa just badluck.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Might just be the way the windshield was installed putting stress on it then all it took was a little stone to crack it. Oh well, shit happens. Hopefully it isn't too expensive to replace.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mastershake
WOW this is exactly what happened to me too....I owned the car for two weeks and some dude in his Diesel Dodge Ram decides to cut me off and managed to throw two stones into my windshield....one chip and one 14" crack on the passenger side windshield....also put a small chip in my hood ....I don't think I've been more sad and mad at the same time.
I would've gone home closed my door and cried until I felt better

Did you report the guy?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ht has no t
Might just be the way the windshield was installed putting stress on it then all it took was a little stone to crack it. Oh well, shit happens. Hopefully it isn't too expensive to replace.
The front windshield is $100 less than the rear windshield, but its still a few hundred dollars. Plus around $50 - $60 to swap it.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
i've had so many large rocks hit and bounce off my windshield, and have yet to get any real cracks. I only have a small dent (hasn't turned into a crack yet) in one part of the windshield. If anything I think the Fit's better for deflecting rocks because it's at such a steep angle.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old and windshield cracked