2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Line comments on Lots 'o glass and Weak A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
It's dry heat.
okay, not as disgusting

I've lived near a swamp in NC. THAT was utterly disgusting. bleh

back on topic... If someone decided to tint the top bit of the windshield, just to keep the wheel cooler, how big of a strip and what % would be necessary?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM
My CRX was black and had a hard time cooling off on a warm day. The red Fit seems much better than the CRX.
Oddly, talked to a guy with another black CRX; he drove crosscountry and stopped at a Phoenix Honda dealer about a minor problem. He claimed that the Arizona boys had never even SEEN a black CRX before.
Moon

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than Texas.

At the worst of the worst, you can expect over 100 degree weather, 100% humidity coming from the Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, my life sucks. My door visors should be here in a few days. All in time before summer hits.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Holy_Fit_Batman!
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than Texas.

At the worst of the worst, you can expect over 100 degree weather, 100% humidity coming from the Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, my life sucks. My door visors should be here in a few days. All in time before summer hits.
I remember seeing 100degF and fog in Shanghai once when I was there mid summer. I was working on a Saturday and the building management had turned off the aircon.

I'm pretty sure the Australian Market Jazz has UV control glass. The brochure says the windows are "heat absorbing". It doesn't get as hot inside as my old Mitsubishi Magna (Diamante) did.

Plus I have to be really close before my garage door opener will work. There's always a downside.

Last edited by rosswond; 04-25-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
"Heat control" glass would screw up with the electronic highway toll passes we use over here, I think they use IR beams to read them. V-Kool's clear tint would have the same effect (although their newer, medium-black "Meteorite" variety would have no problems).

Just to illustrate the point that yes there is a downside to everything

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
"Heat control" glass would screw up with the electronic highway toll passes we use over here, I think they use IR beams to read them. V-Kool's clear tint would have the same effect (although their newer, medium-black "Meteorite" variety would have no problems).

Just to illustrate the point that yes there is a downside to everything
We have them too. You can't move in Sydney without an E-Tag.

They still seem to work through the heat control glass. I know when Mercedes first introduced it there were problems, but AS more and more cars have it I haven't heard of any not reading.

If the tag doesn't go off, they just read your number plate and match it to the account anyway, which makes the tags a bit of a waste.

The big thing heat control glass interferes with is those FM transmitters for your phone to put audio through an FM radio. They don't transmit to your aerial through the glass.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I dont feel ac is cold enough. Ive had cars that blow colder air.

I remember seeing refrigerent replacement at autozone. It had a type with an additive that claimed to make it cooler. Anyone use this before? Would this help?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by yoda_97
I dont feel ac is cold enough. Ive had cars that blow colder air.

I remember seeing refrigerent replacement at autozone. It had a type with an additive that claimed to make it cooler. Anyone use this before? Would this help?
You would almost certainly void your warranty if you put in a refrigerant other than the original, because the pressures, temperatures and load on the compressor will all be different.

I have heard of people using LPG(propane) as a refrigerant, but there are question marks about safety.

Some(the people who sell it) say it's no more dangerous than the fuel tank you already carry.

Some (the people in the air conditioning industry with licenses to sell commercial refrigerants) say it will turn your car into a bomb and you should use their (much more expensive) proper licensed refrigerant.

I dunno, but my aircon works well enough to leave the thing alone.