2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Call Me Crazy, BUT.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Retired Moderator
Wow... looks like you have your hands full with that...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
once you get going, it's kinda hard to stop. i'm kinda of like that as well.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty sure I know what has to be done

Looks like to take the dash out you need to remove these 3 bolts from inside each door jamb..

Then the two in the center..

It should just kinda slide out at that point, of course the steering wheel needs to be removed as well as a bunch of connectors im sure.

Theres a TON of stuff on the drivers side, almost not even worth it, and on the passenger side it looks like I can just pull the HVAC blower out and it should give me quite a bit of room to work with. If I feel I need more I'll prob just yank the whole dash next weekend.

I took a bit of a break today and test fit some panels in the rear, and i'm having BIG fitment problems around the wheel wells, I think i'm gonna have to take a layer off. Hopfully I can pull off the luxuryliner in one piece and then scrape off the overkill and reapply the luxuryliner. I really want to focus on killing noise in the wheel wells becasue it seems to make a dramatic difference. I'll post some pics up later.

Last edited by cbs1013; 04-26-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Oh my god.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
WOW! You sir are one "ballsy" fit driver!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
So I did a lot more work on sunday, did NOT take out the dash tho, after hearing the improvement from what I already did I really don't think it will be necessary. Just a few pics...

and the almost finished product

I say almost because i still have to pull up the edges of the carpet and trim back the luxury liner about a 1/2" in some spots to make the trim panels stay put. Right now they will clip back in but the carpet is pushing a few of them quite a bit and they don't really want to stay put.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have a busy week so I probably wont get to cleaning things up til next weekend. I still have to fix the fitment of the wheel well panels and then I can put the rear seats in.

On a side note, anyone know when the scosche kit is coming out for our cars? I put in the navi weeks ago but can't get it to fit right with the honda navi panel. I rigged it up so it's nice and secure but it sticks out about an inch more than it should. Kinda driving me nuts.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
have you driven it yet? does it sound a lot better?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I have driven it, so far its a big improvement. I still notice a fair amount of noise but that's only because I haven't done the front doors yet, waiting for speakers until I do them. As far as engine noise it still exists, but is muffled a great deal by the material that I put in, enough of an improvement that I won't be adding any more to the firewall. Very happy so far.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
currently the loudest thing in my car is the A/C on high, man it was hot today!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, x 2 on it being hot! But you sir are crazy tearing a new car apart, but I obviously understand why you done so...looks like you done a good job putting her back together!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Talking Good Work!

Originally Posted by cbs1013
Yes I have driven it, so far its a big improvement. I still notice a fair amount of noise but that's only because I haven't done the front doors yet, waiting for speakers until I do them. As far as engine noise it still exists, but is muffled a great deal by the material that I put in, enough of an improvement that I won't be adding any more to the firewall. Very happy so far.
I'm sure you're loving it. Actually I kind of like to hear the engine of my Fit. It's usually very quiet until pushed. It has a nice character.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jrlnc
It's usually very quiet until pushed. It has a nice character.
I agree, I mean i'm used to hearing my b16 in my '91 civic screaming at over 8k rpms daily, it has an AEM CAI and Apexi Worldsport 2 exhaust, sounds amazing. I have to put an intake on the Fit soon to see if that'll wake it up some.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have an idea of how much weight you added? Do you think youre gas mileage will be affected? Just curious...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have 200 pounds of material, of that I've probably used about 160-170 so far, when I do the doors it will probably add another 25 pounds. So around 190 pounds total. Prob have an effect on gas mileage but not enough for me to worry about right now. I would like to get some lightweight wheels in the near future so that will help with the added weight, but one thing at a time.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to say awesome job on taking apart and sound deadening it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
WOW! Nice job. Any problems it back together?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
I agree, I mean i'm used to hearing my b16 in my '91 civic screaming at over 8k rpms daily, it has an AEM CAI and Apexi Worldsport 2 exhaust, sounds amazing. I have to put an intake on the Fit soon to see if that'll wake it up some.
If you want to feed the intake air better and gain a little deep rumble when you get on it from 2K-6K then take off the reservoir lid just to the left of the other intake inlet.

The only purpose of this area is to stop the resonance of the intake. I hate how they restrict air flow in stock cars just to keep it a little quieter. I always take the reservoir box off on all my cars.
With the position of the air reservoir lid cold air is still fed to it because the hood scoop is still fed right there.

Save 200+ bucks (from buying an intake) and just take that lid off.
I know an intake probably is able to pull alot more air but this is a cheap in between from stock and say an PRM intake.

(ps don't worry about any debri or water getting in there. There are drain holes right under the filter in the filter box. Take out the filter and you will see them)

I've been driving the past two weeks with it off in the rain and sun and no problems..no debri or water and it seems the engine breathes alot better and sounds meaner.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-08-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
LOL at first i was like your taking apart the rest of the car just to remove the dash

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
If you want to feed the intake air better and gain a little deep rumble when you get on it from 2K-6K then take off the reservoir lid just to the left of the other intake inlet.

The only purpose of this area is to stop the resonance of the intake. I hate how they restrict air flow in stock cars just to keep it a little quieter. I always take the reservoir box off on all my cars.
With the position of the air reservoir lid cold air is still fed to it because the hood scoop is still fed right there.

Save 200+ bucks (from buying an intake) and just take that lid off.
I know an intake probably is able to pull alot more air but this is a cheap in between from stock and say an PRM intake.

(ps don't worry about any debri or water getting in there. There are drain holes right under the filter in the filter box. Take out the filter and you will see them)

I've been driving the past two weeks with it off in the rain and sun and no problems..no debri or water and it seems the engine breathes alot better and sounds meaner.

hmmmm..... how does it sound?

Quick Reply: Call Me Crazy, BUT.....