2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M bulk protecting film

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 AM
3M bulk protecting film

I ordered some 3M protection film for my car the other day. I order some 6" and some 12" bulk film from (3m Clear Bras and bulk film) It was fairly cheap I think compared to what most places charge to buy it and apply it. I watched at least 15 videos on Youtube how to apply it and I was comfortable to try it myself. It is definitely an art form.
I first attempted to apply it to my drivers side door sill to stop scratches from shoes getting in and out of the car. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to apply. The door sill was hard because it had 2 curvatures in it but for the most part it doesn't look bad and now its extra protected. (I did forget to take pictures so I apologize.)

My next experiment was with the 12" x 3' piece I had. I wanted to protect the nose of the fit. It seemed extra vulnerable because it was such a high pitch and it seemed anything that came near it had the opportunity to chip the paint (I already had 2 small nicks). The bumper and lower grille area seems to be a little more durable (I think because the bumper is plastic) where as the front lower part of the hood is of course metal. I used a soap solution and a alcohol solution 10% rubbing alcohol 90% water. It too was fairly easy to apply the hardest part was getting the edges to stay down (purpose of the alcohol solution) Once you spray the alcohol solution you have to work fast because it will set fast after you spray it.

All in all I was pleased with my first attempt to apply this stuff. I recommend it to anyone with a little patience. I still have about 7' of 6" film that I am going to apply to the rest of my door sills and the wife's tsx.

(P.S. the last picture shows it the best. You can see the line where it stops. It is really hard to take a picture of a clear film...ha.)

Also here is a nice vid of how well this stuff works.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cLCcBhfro

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-12-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the information! Looks great! How is it to clean? Will it start to change color over time?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Bariki
Thanks for the information! Looks great! How is it to clean? Will it start to change color over time?
cleans just like the rest of the car. wax and wash it...Its very durable.
nope 3m garantees it for 5 years. People say it usually last for 7. "3M film is guaranteed not to yellow, crack or peel. The film is warranted by the manufacturer for 5 years from date of purchase. 3M will not cover any damage caused by ordinary wear and tear, accidents, misuse or improper installation."
It cost me $20 bucks for the 3' piece. Well worth it in my eyes.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-12-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey good job. i installed a few clearbra's myself and my tip of the day is KEEP YOUR FINGERS WET while handling the adhesive side.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
oh yea I forgot to mention that. Good call.
I kept spraying my hands with the slip solution during the install to keep them wet.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good, couple of quick questions hope you don't mind answering.
1. You said you used a 3'X12" piece for the hood was that sufficient to cover the area. Also did you go back the full 12" on the hood.
2. How easy is it to trim and what did you use to trim it.
3. Does it apply using the same premise as window tint, and any bubbles left over when you were complete.
I'm definitely considering doing this and going to order bulk like you did (thanks for the link) just want to make sure I have enough. I wish I would've seen this thread earlier as ordered the door edge guards through collegehills honda and I know I paid more then what I could have gotten it for through bulk purchase. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Scott

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice dude! I would like to do this to my new Ings body kit when I get it--at least in the blunt middle area of the bumper...you should install mine.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by bigmitch
couple of quick questions hope you don't mind answering
Of course I don't mind.

1.Yes I used a 3' x 12" piece for the hood. For what I wanted to protect on the hood it was sufficient enough (mainly the first 8" of the hood). Actually my film comes up 9" from the very lowest tip of the hood. If I would have ordered a 4' piece instead I could have utilized the full 12" more. I will do that next time when I replace it or get bored one night. I recommend you order 4'. If you really want to get crazy you can buy 18", 24" even 30". Almost protect the whole hood if you wanted..lol.

2. I used mini utility knife similar to this. http://www.newsungroup.com.tw/images...TY%20KNIFE.JPG
The film is 8 mil thick so it has some substance but I think it was fairly easy to cut. Like mentioned above make sure you keep your hand wet to stop any fingerprints. Look up videos on youtube. There are some helpful instructions on easy ways to cut the stuff on there.

3. Essentially its the exact same as applying window tint. When I ordered my stuff they actually sent instructions on exactly what portions and ingredients to make your solution (slip/soap solution and alcohol solution)
Also that website I mentioned originally in my first post also tells how to make it.
As for the bubbles nope I don't have any. I had very small one by my one edge but after taking a hairdryer to it and it evaporated. I was lucky. Just take your time and start in the middle of the hood first and work to the outside on each side. Like I said before check youtube. There is alot of helpful vids on there.

Hope that helped

Good luck

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-13-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Nice dude! I would like to do this to my new Ings body kit when I get it--at least in the blunt middle area of the bumper...you should install mine.
Yea my boss saw mine today and wants me to do his hood on his 08 TL. I am kinda nervous to do anyone else car because I'm afraid I will mess it up and waste the material. Like I said this was my first time doing this so let me get a little more experience and I will happily apply the stuff for you. I want to do the wifes tsx next. After a couple more times of doing it I will feel comfortable to help some people apply it.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, it looks like you did an excellent job for your first time, congrats! Wishing I did something like this before I put 15k miles on it...guest it's never too late - may add this one to my growing mod list. BTW - I like what did you did with the Honda emblem - pretty cool!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, as committ mentioned above, if you ever end up with airbubble that
you can't gently squeegee out, just let it be. it will eventually evaporate.
that includes any light clouds on headlight clearbra as well.

the WORST thing you can do is force it out... it will stretch the
clearbra and make premanent folds if you use too much force
with your squeegee.

also, i hate pricks. that includes puncturing bubbles out.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Placed some 3m film on my fogs.
Just took a quick trace of the fog lens and cut my 3m bulk film. sprayed some alcohol solution (no slip since its a small area and its vertical) Then voila!!!!

virtually invisible and now extra protected.
Install time 10 minutes for both.