2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Kia Soul, Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
I guess if you could pay cash for one and keep it running until it self destructs you might come out fairly well, but they are still expensive to insure.... KIAs really aren't bad cars nowadays but the low price makes them appeal to drivers that aren't very responsible in maintaining them, driving ability and bill paying.... This market creates a bad rap for the car, higher insurance rates and outrageous interest rates on loans.... It is crazy how many of these cars are torn to hell and end up being repossessed in a year and half or two.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
if you are looking to bone some hamsters, then by all means get one!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
dgs
Some very interesting replies. My post was in no way to insinuate I had or have any plans to get the Soul over my Fit. I just didn't know anything about the Soul and thought I would research it a bit and was surprised to find all it offered for the same price of my Fit.

Even though we all can agree the Fit is the superior car, I think we all wish it came with a few more features. I know a sunroof option, rear disc brakes, outside temperature display, better stereo and auto-dimming rearview mirror all could have been added for not much of an increase in price. The rear disc brakes would certainly help the terrible braking distances I see posted in every test of the Fit.

Anyway thanks for posting your thoughts, a good read. And sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, I did not do a search first before posting so my mistake.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by McNabb
Yes, it is a Kia, but people said the same thing about Hyundai 10 years ago.
I still say that about Hyundai today.

I was driving by a Hyundai dealer recently and saw the new Tiburons out front. I was like "Hey, I wonder what that is... oh, wait it's a Hyundai Tiburon, nevermind."

Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
A guy I use to work with just bought a kia soul. He had a mazda 3 before and hated it. He then was trying to choose between a Fit and a Soul. Obviously he knew the fit was better reliability / resale but decided to get the Soul anyways (kinda stupid imo) but to each his own. I personally think he just wanted something different than everyone else (which won't be a problem because no one wants a Kia )

So far he tells me he likes it.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-26-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I personally don't like the auto dimming mirrors.

Plus, I pretty much like our Fit the way it is.

Remember?...."Honda...We make it simple."

Old 05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned 2 cars in my life... a Kia Sportage hand-me-down from my dad, and the 2009 Fit that I bought in September.

I would never consider purchasing a Kia of any kind. Terrible, terrible cars.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skygunnerblue
I've owned 2 cars in my life... a Kia Sportage hand-me-down from my dad, and the 2009 Fit that I bought in September.

I would never consider purchasing a Kia of any kind. Terrible, terrible cars.
Skygunnerblue, can you then enlighten us on exactly why Kias are terrible?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Skygunnerblue, can you then enlighten us on exactly why Kias are terrible?
While I do not exactly have a strong baseline comparison, I think I had more mechanical problems with my Sportage than should be expected... the thing was in the shop way too often fixing various issues and rattles.

The real pain in the butt, though, is that all the little stuff breaks on them. From front to back, I probably had like 20 little things broken on my Sportage by the time I got the Fit... wipers, windows, AC, center console, hood latch, door handle, gas cap, speakers... you name it... all broken.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
And to be fair, my model year was a 2001. Perhaps Kias have changed since then and the Soul is a decent car.

When I owned that car though, I swore almost daily that I would never own another one.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
I hear ya. For what it's worth, while I was at the Kia dealer yesterday I sat in some other Kias and noticed the switchgear and attention to details that seemingly is much better in the Soul than in the other models in the showroom. The other models' lack of quality was so obvious it was humorous.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
If you want to play, you gotta pay.... I never look at cars that I can't afford to drive. Honda looks pretty cheap compared to a lot of the Euro cars that are out of my price range, but damned if it doesn't handle a lot better than a lot of them and the Europeans love them too.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Before I bought my 09 Fit, I was also comparing vehicles: Yaris, Versa, xB, Soul etc...
I found this article very helpful. Also, the only comparison car that the 09 Fit has fallen short of is the xB, mostly because of the power. I never liked boxy-cars though...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=135626

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
The bad thing about all of those cars except the Soul is that you will not appeal to the horny giant female hamsters, I know there is someone around here that doesn't want to miss out on boning a hamster.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The bad thing about all of those cars except the Soul is that you will not appeal to the horny giant female hamsters, I know there is someone around here that doesn't want to miss out on boning a hamster.

That's funny! Owned a lot of cars, but never bought one for the "chick magnet" thingy.

Any of you guys pick up a hot chick with your FiT, let me know!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by ERyan1189
Never buy from a car company that bases their name on Keeping It Affordable
More like Koreans In America

Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
QUOTnever bought one for the "chick magnet" thingy.

Any of you guys pick up a hot chick with your FiT, let me know! [/QUOTE]
Bought them to pick up what then, Hamsters?.... I was sure there was someone that was into the hamster thing..... Better than chicken and sheep?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
QUOTnever bought one for the "chick magnet" thingy.

Any of you guys pick up a hot chick with your FiT, let me know!
Bought them to pick up what then, Hamsters?.... I was sure there was someone that was into the hamster thing..... Better than chicken and sheep?

He must be a farmer!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Lightbulb

Being a person who's still trying to decide between the Soul and Fit, I'll chime in.

The Soul is a great car, it's ABSOLUTELY DECKED OUT in every single option you can ever imagine. The Canadian version comes in 3 packages. 1.6L base, 2.0L base, and RIDICULOUS!
For under $20k CAD, you're getting bluetooth, ipod/mp3/usb/Satellite radio, sunroof, 18" rims, traction control, stability control, fog lamps, roof rack, tinted windows, amazing sound system/sub, external temp gauge, mood lighting, sports suspension, 4wheel discs, heated mirrors, 5yr warranty.
And that's ON TOP of the options available on the Fit Sport.

It's priced approximately $700 more than the Fit Sport, so on paper, it's got AMAZING value.

However, there's a 90% chance I'll decide on the Fit over the Soul because:
1) honda reliability
2) no haggle room for Soul because it's new for 2010
3) Fit interior looks and feels SOOO much better (check inside the glove box of the Soul, it's painted bright red)
4) Sales person at Honda did a very good job making sure I was comfortable with the car before even asking if I'm serious about buying.
5) Soul's throttle was really awkward. There's some weird lag going on there. Revs would stick until nearly 1/2second after you release the throttle. Kinda like Kia used an elastic band for a throttle cable.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by urameatball
Being a person who's still trying to decide between the Soul and Fit, I'll chime in.

The Soul is a great car, it's ABSOLUTELY DECKED OUT in every single option you can ever imagine. The Canadian version comes in 3 packages. 1.6L base, 2.0L base, and RIDICULOUS!
For under $20k CAD, you're getting bluetooth, ipod/mp3/usb/Satellite radio, sunroof, 18" rims, traction control, stability control, fog lamps, roof rack, tinted windows, amazing sound system/sub, external temp gauge, mood lighting, sports suspension, 4wheel discs, heated mirrors, 5yr warranty.
And that's ON TOP of the options available on the Fit Sport.

It's priced approximately $700 more than the Fit Sport, so on paper, it's got AMAZING value.

However, there's a 90% chance I'll decide on the Fit over the Soul because:
1) honda reliability
2) no haggle room for Soul because it's new for 2010
3) Fit interior looks and feels SOOO much better (check inside the glove box of the Soul, it's painted bright red)
4) Sales person at Honda did a very good job making sure I was comfortable with the car before even asking if I'm serious about buying.
5) Soul's throttle was really awkward. There's some weird lag going on there. Revs would stick until nearly 1/2second after you release the throttle. Kinda like Kia used an elastic band for a throttle cable.
Several of the items you mentioned are standard on the Fit. But I agree, the Soul has great value, if that's what you're looking for. Just don't expect it to approach a Fit in terms of fun, room, quality, resale, refinement, fuel economy, handling, seat flexibility and reliability. Maybe safety as well.

Quick Reply: Kia Soul, Your Thoughts