2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit with squeaky shocks after 4 months :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Unhappy 09 Fit with squeaky shocks after 4 months :(

Yeah so really not cool i went on a gravel road yesterday and the road got kinda crappy so I had to crawl in 2nd gear. I never bottomed out but I was basically rock crawling. When i got home I noticed that when I am in second and third gear at slow speeds my shocks are starting to squeak very noticeably. So I am not too happy about this because like most other people on this thread I love my Honda Fit, but I am really pissed off and I don't think a new car should have problems so easily. I am going to take it in on Monday but if by chance anyone else has had the same problem it would be awesome to know how much it costs to fix...

Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Sucks man. As long as you have not modified any part of your suspension mainly lowering springs you should be covered by warranty.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats what I am hoping for but the dealers closed today so Its driving me crazy thinking about it.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Your car, all cars really, have rubber suspension bushings.
Spray every single one of the liberally with a good silicone spray as that is more than likely your issue.
Maybe hose off the gravel dust first if you picked up a lot of that as that stuff is abrasive.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM
woah good call I was really hoping someone would have a quick fix for it. Is it something I can reach from the car in a parked position.. do I have to take the wheel off? and where exactly can I find these bushings. Sorry in advance for the beginner questions this is my first car and I am really stoked about it and want to learn how to take care of her properly.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thepatweir
woah good call I was really hoping someone would have a quick fix for it. Is it something I can reach from the car in a parked position.. do I have to take the wheel off? and where exactly can I find these bushings. Sorry in advance for the beginner questions this is my first car and I am really stoked about it and want to learn how to take care of her properly.
Ramps or jackstands, everywhere there is a pivot point. Front A arm, sway bar. Rear you can get to by just sticking your arm in there, pivot is the torsion beam bolt, by the inside of the rear tire to the front.
Or,
go to an oil change place with a couple of cans of silicone and offer them $15-20 and have them do it on the rack.

Last edited by Tork; 06-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah so really not cool i went on a gravel road yesterday and the road got kinda crappy so I had to crawl in 2nd gear. I never bottomed out but I was basically rock crawling.
Lol...I took my Fit up some serious rocky terrain yesterday as well ....only scrape was my cargo carrier hangin off the back - no probs yet!!

Last edited by reako; 06-15-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys I just went out on a whim and tried just washing out all under there... took care of the problem, I think on Monday I am going to take it in anyways and lube it up just for good luck. This websites awesome I am sold.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I just got my 2009 Fit Sport and after only 3 weeks, the squeaking began in the front left wheel. Same as listed here, 2nd to 3rd gear, 30-35mph, every little hump and dip in the road squeaks. Then it went away after a couple days of mostly highway driving. Thought it worked itself out. But no, it's back. I'm sure they'll do it for free, so I'm going to the dealer as soon as I can get the time. Annoying for such an incredibly brand new car. Other than that, I love this thing. Always loved Hondas, Acura too.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Thanks guys I just went out on a whim and tried just washing out all under there... took care of the problem, I think on Monday I am going to take it in anyways and lube it up just for good luck. This websites awesome I am sold.
You may need to follow special precautions regarding dust, dirt, gravel. It's kind of like a day at the beach. Oh, sure, it seems fine, at first. Until you get sand in your butt-crack.

The only good thing about butt-crack sand is that it doesn't make a noise on it's own, like sandpaper or corduroy thighs.

And just like butt-crack sand, you want to remove that sand, dust, and gravel as often as possible from your vehicle. Lubing it up is not the only answer, as I know from applying sunscreen all over, and then visiting the beach and getting even more sand stuck to me including the butt-crack.

Doesn't matter if it's a bikini or shorts or pants or a haz-mat suit, sand inevitably finds it's way into the most unlikely places...and I've never run 25 mph throwing up sand, dust and rocks into the butt-crack.

So, here's where I say:

"Think of your car like your butt-crack and you'll never be sorry"

Those are today's "words of wisdom".

And today's "analogy gone too far".

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
You know... I was just flying through posts, and didn't pay much attention to names. Then I read this "butt-crack" thing. My mind's eye was really being violated thinking this was a guy talking about his butt crack!

I hope it isn't politically-correct to say so... then again, I'm not politically-correct so it doesn't matter. I'll just ask you not to take what I'm going to say the wrong way... especially coming from a happily married man!

So, I was getting that fairly grossed-out feeling thinking some guy was trying to make me think of his butt-crack in some way. Then I realized a female was talking about it, and it [all of a sudden] didn't offend quite so badly. Actually, a fem talking about getting sand in her butt is actually kinda' humorous, if not mildly (as in -- as my wife would say -- "aww"!) cute!

Anyway, thanks for breaking today's monotony on FitFreak.net!!!

Wish I were at the beach right about now... sand irritations or otherwise!
And I forget all the time that even though *I* know I'm female, not everyone else knows it.

Of course it was supposed to be funny, at least I was totally cracking (no pun intended) up writing it. But it makes sense too.

People put on snow tires or have engine block heaters, they are special precautions for snow and ice in certain areas. They might also have rust proofing or sealing done to help prevent the effects of salt on the road from damaging the underbody of the car.

People in very hot areas might choose one color of car over another, have window tint, and use the oh-so-fashionable t-shirt on the front seats just to keep it bit cooler and much easier to clean if you have sun screen on.

Dust, dirt, gravel, those things are also part of nature and require certain precautions. But they don't seem as IMMEDIATE as needing an engine block heater, because if you don't use the heater, the car won't start.

Other analogies that would work (but aren't as funny) are that speck of dust in your eye or that wee pebble in your shoe.

Off-road bicycles, motor vehicles (like motorcycles, sand rails, dune buggies, three- and four-wheel ATVs) all have to take special cleaning into consideration.

Dirt, dust, rocks don't suddenly become "cleaner" if they are on a regular gravel road instead of off-road. As paving the roads and running hepa filters alongside the roads isn't an option, you have to take extra care with your car.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I would suggest before you start spraying shit all over it you take it to the dealer. That is what your wty is for. Don't be so impatient.

I can't believe how many people here want to do warranty work themselves.

I do not want to offend anyone but I just find it strange. Now I know I will get replies saying they can't trust the dealer - Well why did you buy the car in the first place from them?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I would suggest before you start spraying shit all over it you take it to the dealer. That is what your wty is for. Don't be so impatient.

I can't believe how many people here want to do warranty work themselves.

I do not want to offend anyone but I just find it strange. Now I know I will get replies saying they can't trust the dealer - Well why did you buy the car in the first place from them?
I agree. There is no reason to do any warranty type stuff. Things we do when we first get the car should really consist only of putting gas in, washing it, vacuuming it. Maybe checking the wiper fluids. But all the rest of it, that should be ok and not require any poking or prodding by anyone.

Everything is supposed to work. Taking it back to the dealer can not only help fix whatever is a problem, but can give a dealer heads-up on potential problems that might affect more than just one person. And that's important.

It might be nice if Honda had informational brochures for various climates available in the service department. That have to do with common challenges and preventative measures.

Dust, dirt, sand, gravel. Snow, ice, road salt. Mud, rain, slick roads. Hot, dry, sunny climates. Humid, damp, wet climates. What to do about bird and bug splat.

Even if you know all about your own area, you may well travel, and not know how to deal with certain problems.

By the way, I got my lower glove box replaced, under warranty, at the dealer, because it was all squeaky. I've decided to run an experiment and NOT USE THE GLOVE BOX AT ALL. I mean, I won't even open it.

I want to see if it starts making noise on it's own. That could be important for Honda to know. Same thing with any other oddities. Honda then has a paper trail of what happened at what mileage in what area after owning the car for xx number of days/weeks/months/years.

P.S. About not trusting the dealer...

I did a search for the place I go, and found several really negative reviews. I was surprised, because I don't get the same feeling about my local dealership. True, most of the review sites seem to be a complaint-fest, but still, I don't get the same treatment. I really do think much of what occurs has to do with attitude. Attitude of the person going in TO the dealership.

Like, if you see sales people standing in front of the dealership, what does it mean to you? One person said something like "hovering like vultures". What exactly do you want the sales staff to be doing?

They aren't supposed to be pulling weeds or checking the tire pressure or buffing the floor of the showroom. Should they be playing cards, doing homework, practicing their dance moves?

Parts cannot carry every single part for every single Honda in every single color that has existed since the beginning of Honda time.

Service can't work any faster than what they do, time doesn't bend and warp to make a 2 hour job take only 15 minutes.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 09-02-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I agree. There is no reason to do any warranty type stuff. Things we do when we first get the car should really consist only of putting gas in, washing it, vacuuming it. Maybe checking the wiper fluids. But all the rest of it, that should be ok and not require any poking or prodding by anyone.

Everything is supposed to work. Taking it back to the dealer can not only help fix whatever is a problem, but can give a dealer heads-up on potential problems that might affect more than just one person. And that's important.

It might be nice if Honda had informational brochures for various climates available in the service department. That have to do with common challenges and preventative measures.

Dust, dirt, sand, gravel. Snow, ice, road salt. Mud, rain, slick roads. Hot, dry, sunny climates. Humid, damp, wet climates. What to do about bird and bug splat.

Even if you know all about your own area, you may well travel, and not know how to deal with certain problems.

By the way, I got my lower glove box replaced, under warranty, at the dealer, because it was all squeaky. I've decided to run an experiment and NOT USE THE GLOVE BOX AT ALL. I mean, I won't even open it.

I want to see if it starts making noise on it's own. That could be important for Honda to know. Same thing with any other oddities. Honda then has a paper trail of what happened at what mileage in what area after owning the car for xx number of days/weeks/months/years.

P.S. About not trusting the dealer...

I did a search for the place I go, and found several really negative reviews. I was surprised, because I don't get the same feeling about my local dealership. True, most of the review sites seem to be a complaint-fest, but still, I don't get the same treatment. I really do think much of what occurs has to do with attitude. Attitude of the person going in TO the dealership.

Like, if you see sales people standing in front of the dealership, what does it mean to you? One person said something like "hovering like vultures". What exactly do you want the sales staff to be doing?

They aren't supposed to be pulling weeds or checking the tire pressure or buffing the floor of the showroom. Should they be playing cards, doing homework, practicing their dance moves?

Parts cannot carry every single part for every single Honda in every single color that has existed since the beginning of Honda time.

Service can't work any faster than what they do, time doesn't bend and warp to make a 2 hour job take only 15 minutes.
Well, just to add some perspective. Some people truly enjoy working on their car (also some of us have voided our waranties beyond imagination). Troubleshooting can be very rewarding. In addition, examining and understanding what is wrong with your car will make you more informed when you MUST go to the stealership. If all you've ever done is checked fluids and added fuel you are powerless to the Dealer. Sure you can go in with an optimistic attidude but if you dont actually understand what is wrong with your car aside from 'it squeeks' the dealer will be very preapared to take advantage of that. NOBODY cares about your car or your wallet more than you.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 09-05-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Well, just to add some perspective. Some people truly enjoy working on their car (also some of us have voided our waranties beyond imagination). Troubleshooting can be very rewarding. In addition, examining and understanding what is wrong with your car will make you more informed when you MUST go to the stealership. If all you've ever done is checked fluids and added fuel you are powerless to the Dealer. Sure you can go in with an optimistic attidude but if you dont actually understand what is wrong with your car aside from 'it squeeks' the dealer will be very preapared to take advantage of that. NOBODY cares about your car or your wallet more than you.
I definitely understand hobby cars. Way back when I dated many mechanics, in fact my first boyfriend was a mechanic. I was part a Corvette car club. So I've seen everything from hobby jalopies, race cars, fully restored beauties.

I'd go to classic car shows, where I'd see cars I didn't know existed. Exotics I'll never ride in. Cars only in the movies.

I'd go to dealerships of all kinds of cars, just to look. See them up close. Here's an embarrassing moment, I'd read and knew all about the Countach.
Lamborghini Countach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could spew stats. Differentiate years. But I couldn't pronounce the name. I called it a "Count Ack". Rather than "Coon Tash". Try discussing a cool car with someone who is busting up over your pronunciation, with the car sitting right there.

Lots of reasons to have our Fits. Mine was desperately needed transportation that I hoped would not break down in the middle nowhere. I've had so many car break downs in my life, leaving me stranded. And this was long before cell phones. Stranded was stranded.

My Fit is "complete". I've had a few dealer accessories added, to extend the life of the car the best I can. The all-season mats, cargo mat, splash guards, side molding to help prevent dings.

Other Fits are a means to an end. Getting the Fit is the beginning of modifications! Interiors, head lights, tail lights, tinting, springs, shocks, wheels, tires, intake, exhaust, add-on body parts.

One person might go in the direction of a show car, with custom everything, and that car is never driven, and isn't even street-legal.

One person might go in the direction of race/auto-cross. That car is driven a lot, but mostly in special circumstances.

I say "YAY for all of the Fits".

If a person is running to Home Depot, Costco, and filling their car with "stuff", they probably aren't racing it all the time, and it probably doesn't have a Noblesse kit.

Those are the folks that can and should be taking their car to the dealership to have it checked out. And those are the people that will be the ones who might be responsible for new Service Bulletins. From taking in our unmodified cars with some weird noise to be checked over by Honda.

One of the great aspects of the Fit is that there are so many uses for the car. And so many people of all ages that love their Fit, for what it is, for what it can become, and/or for what it can do.

Is it commuting car? Yes. Can it be a show car? Yes.

Everyone is right.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Taffy, that was very, very good... admirable even! If you don't work for Honda, you should!

Really... nice post! So good in fact, even though your post wasn't short, I was kinda' sad when I realized it was over! You make me feel purchasing the Honda Fit was in no way possible a mistake!

Honda... give this lady a really good, cushy job in your PR Dept... NOW!
Guitar, lots of people have good feelings for their Fits. Look at the most recent post in the Check In thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post743428

Another person totally thrilled with all the things the Fit can do. It's not only the ideal car for doing his business because of the way the space and doors and seats are laid out, but it's "the ultimate gig car".

Honda could do a series of print or television ads showing real people with their real cars, showing what they really do with their cars.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
fits were not made to be driven on gravel roads that are so bad that the disclaimer of 'i didn't bottom out' has to be thrown in there.

/end thread.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sand in butt crack is not a good feeling. lol

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sand in butt crack is not a good feeling. lol
Sounds like a fortune cookie!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
fits were not made to be driven on gravel roads that are so bad that the disclaimer of 'i didn't bottom out' has to be thrown in there.

/end thread.
You DID look at the location, yes?

Check out Selden's travel blog:
"the Denali Highway, even though I knew that only about 20 miles of its 145 mile length were paved. Time for a little "adventure touring." Except for one bad stretch of gravel that lasted about 10 miles, the Denali wasn't too bad, helped in the first half by yesterday's rains, which kept down the dust, but were not heavy enough to make the road muddy. Most gas station parking lots in the Yukon and Alaska, with their gravel and potholes, present greater riding challenges."

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~libssd/Alaska2006/20060726.html

This ain't surburbia with paved roads everywhere.

The wear and tear on cars is brutal, like the winters, but folks still need a way to get around.

Things with more ground clearance and 4WD might be preferred, but most of those suck up the gas.

Honda Element 4WD gets about 10 less mpg. CRV is about the same as the Element. Gas mpg would be much worse, because of chugging along at slower speeds on gravelly roads.

Are there any "winter" cars/suvs that get excellent mpg? Things that can handle gravel and dirt and dust and snow and ice and road salt?