2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoon Sports Short "Stubby" Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
^seriously lol

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I didn't lose any local station reception at all. I do live in the suburbs so signal strength is never really an issue. Even when I'm away from the city I still have no problems picking up stations so I think its just as good as the stock antenna.

The build quality is excellent. Its aluminum so its pretty strong. The finish is good and hasn't faded one bit. Like I said before I've had it 6 months and looks like the day I bought it.

Ordered and installed it. build quality is great and completely worth my 13 dollars. however, did you notice the rds no longer works?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by ironsheikh
Ordered and installed it. build quality is great and completely worth my 13 dollars. however, did you notice the rds no longer works?
????? mine does? Remember RDS doesn't work on all stations. The ones that it did before on mine still do with the new antenna.

edit...make sure you didn't turn it off on the dash..

Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
????? mine does? Remember RDS doesn't work on all stations. The ones that it did before on mine still do with the new antenna.

edit...make sure you didn't turn it off on the dash..
nvm, i accidently had it off.

my only minor complaint is that it doesnt work at ALL in parking garages. pretty minor complaint considering i saved a handful of money versus the agency one or spoon one. other than that, great buy for 13 dollars.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:35 AM
sick guy and how long are you gonna be in parking garadges anyways
just pull out the ipod and tap the aux button

Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM
If anyone can tell me what a "good" material is for best reception we can pop out any number of these "shorty" antennas where I work on an NC lathe...The spoon pictured in the original post is lacking a "cavity" which is why it doesn't sit flush (now that I've pulled mine off to see what's up with that). For the OP...put an "O" ring or something in there to fill the gap...

Aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel? Plated? Unplated? Give me something to work with and perhaps we can come up with something that looks good and has better than stock reception...or at the very least equal to stock in a shorter length...

I've tried doing some on line research for material...nothing "definitive" so far. So chime in with some ideas...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:19 AM
The one I bought was made out of aluminum and was painted black. The reception is great, but not as good as stock. The signal is very sensative and somewhat jumpy. Imo, it's better than the spoon one. 60 bucks is too much for an antenna. When I drive I listen to my flash drive half the time and the other half is my radio. I'm assuming most of us use are radio not that much since we have the convenience of the usb adapter. I would highly recommend this antenna though anyday of the week.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by ironsheikh
The one I bought was made out of aluminum and was painted black. The reception is great, but not as good as stock. The signal is very sensative and somewhat jumpy. Imo, it's better than the spoon one. 60 bucks is too much for an antenna. When I drive I listen to my flash drive half the time and the other half is my radio. I'm assuming most of us use are radio not that much since we have the convenience of the usb adapter. I would highly recommend this antenna though anyday of the week.
60 bucks is definitely too much to spend. The one you purchased is probably hard anodized in black, not painted Ironsheikh. Hard anodize is a non conductive finish. That's the sort of thing I need to know in order to come up with an alternative. I'm guessing our stock antenna is simply a rubber coated strand of metal connected to the theaded portion that attaches to the base. Really not much to it but I'm sure certain alloys have a better reception quality. Can't imagine going from 6" to 4" or 2" would make that much difference if each antenna were identical but for the length...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks Commit, gonna pull the trigger on this one.