2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive "fixed" my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Progressive "fixed" my Fit

So, I got rear-ended a few weeks back. There was damage to the bumper and hatchback. The other guy's insurance (Progressive) was going to cover the damage, so no biggie.

If you don't know, Progressive handles things a little differently. You bring the damaged car to them, they give you a rental car, and when your car's done you just go pick it up. I don't like that I had to use their body shop, but the damage wasn't too severe so they couldn't possibly mess it up, right?

I picked up my car at noon today (they had it for a week and a half). Sure enough, the paint was fixed, dent pulled, all good... right? On the drive home, I noticed a light spot at the edge of my rear window. Upon closer inspection, I found that when they removed the windows to repair the dent, they scratched off some of the tint. Also, much of the tint was starting to peel around the bottom edge.

Then, I looked at the seal around the window... SLOPPY! It's uneven, covers the edge of the window in some areas, and it's think & bubbly under the spoiler on the outside! Oh, and the rear wiper was put back on low, so now it's partially OFF the window.

I called the claims rep and explained the situation. She said that she would contact the service dept and then they would contact me before Wed this week. I have a feeling that they aren't going to want to fix it and I'm going to have to raise hell. If they DO fix it, I don't know if I want the same people working on it.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i think they'll fix it. just my .02

Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Don't back down...............make them fix it.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
They'll fix it...so long as you raise hell. Nit pick every little thing till she looks as virginal as the day you drove her off the lot. That's what I hate about even minor fender benders...they are just never the same.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Make them fix it! They messed up they will fix it. Im sure their manager will raise hell too! haha
Im sorry man I would be maaaaad

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
JGW
I don't think insurance companies CAN dictate where you take it. Maybe it varies state to state, but the last time I had someone hit me (not in the fit) I TOLD the insurer where I was taking it.

I think they will fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to bitch a bit about it first.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Hahaah yeah companies are lazy. They are there for there money they don't care whos car they F up ha

Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
JGW is exactly right. In a situation where the other driver is at fault, their insurance company cannot dictate to you where you get your vehicle fixed. the worst case scenario is that you get the vehicle fixed at your shop of choice, sue the other driver for the cost of the repairs, and their insurance company picks up the tab. usually they will just pay to avoid the expense of a law suit.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
This should help answer most of your questions:

The following information is designed to aide you in the repair of your damaged vehicle. The material is intended to be general in nature.

Before obtaining repairs, you should contact your attorney to ensure that the information complies with your state laws and regulations.
This material has been prepared by the Automotive Service Association (ASA).

Must I obtain three estimates? Answer: Generally, no. Unless your policy states otherwise, no one can tell you to obtain more than one estimate. You, as the car owner, may do so, should this be your desire.

I was told that I must take my car to a certain repair shop. Must I do this? Answer: Generally, no. No one can force you to go to a certain repair shop unless your policy states otherwise.

What is the best procedure for me to get quality repairs and quickly get my vehicle back on the road? Answer: Take your vehicle to a reputable repair shop. Leave it with the manager. Instruct the manager to contact your insurance company and advise them as to the damage. You should then call your insurance company and advise them of the vehicle's location.

I don't believe I was at fault in the accident. Should I use my own collision policy or try to collect from the other party? Answer: Try to collect from the other party because you will not have to pay a deductible. Also, if you use the other person's policy, you may be entitled to a rental car while yours is being repaired, and no accident should be charged against your policy.

Who is responsible to the repair shop for my repair bill - the insurance company or me? Answer: You are. You may direct your insurance company to pay the repair shop, but the payment must be in the hands of the repair agency when you pick up your vehicle. Keep in mind, you are the customer and the insured. The repair shop owner looks to you for payment and you look to the insurance company for payment.

Who is responsible for the safety, workmanship and guarantee of my auto repairs - insurance company or repair shop? Answer: Generally, the repair shop is responsible.

I am sure that the other driver is at fault, but no one has made any effort to see to the repairs of my auto. What can I do? Answer: You are the owner of the automobile. Only you have the legal right to make arrangements for the repair of your automobile, not the insurance company.

Do I have to take my vehicle to a drive-in claims service? Answer: Generally, no. Unless your policy provides otherwise, it is not mandatory to take your vehicle to a drive-in claims service. Usually it will suffice for you to call your insurance company and tell them where the vehicle can be examined by a claims person.

If I go to a drive-in claims service, do I have to take the car to its preferred shop? Answer: Generally, no. However, if you decide to take your car to the preferred shop, ask your insurance company to implement its "elects to repair" clause (check your insurance policy). This may cause the insurance company to be responsible for, among other things, the quality of repairs.

I am having a problem with the insurance company. Can the state insurance commissioner's office help me? Answer: Perhaps, yes, but the commissioner's authority is limited! The commissioner's office in your state can describe the scope of authority for you.

Can the insurance company and service shop make an adjustment and start repair on the auto without the owner's consent? Answer: Generally, no. You should be presented an estimate to know what is being repaired on your vehicle before repairs are made, unless your policy states otherwise.

A Final Word...
Most state laws make it unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle that is unsafe or has defective equipment. Insist on having your vehicle restored to its pre-accident condition. Do not be pressured into having repair work done by a specific shop simply because of lower price.
The owners of some repair shops have pledged their shops to a rigid code of ethics. This code is designed to protect you and your property.

Automotive Tips - Consumer Bill of Rights

Last edited by reako; 06-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
reako, that's all GREAT info to know! I'm definitely going to raise some hell! I went out and looked at it again with a friend, and then I noticed that the paint didn't seem exactly right either... kinda yellowish. Also, the bumper doesn't seem to line up just right.

I'm going to tell them that I don't want their shop to do the fixes. I can image them seeing the same car come in for them to fix what they already did and screw something else up. The paint even feels really thick around the areas that needed to be repainted.

I know the whole Progressive Concierge service is supposed to be convenient for me, but if they don't do the job right, what's the point?!

I can't believe a stupid little fender-bender is turning into freaking headache for me.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 AM
JGW
Unfortunately, I doubt they are going to cover the entire repair again. You might be able to convince them that some things need to be fixed, but the stuff that was previously fixed....not so much.

Unless you can show that the "fix" was subpar and not up to current industry standards, you may not have a leg to stand on. Remember, the guy that has to make the decision is following the company line and doesn't really care if your car is "exactly" as it was.

Having said that, I've used Progressive in the past and never had a problem with them when I had to file a claim. They always did right by me.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
I thought it was the law that you can pick where you want your car fixed. At least, I saw that hanging on signs at the body shop I took my no-fault accident to. Other guy's insurance company estimated $800 to repair. Final bill was $1850 at the shop of my choice :-D I didn't have to pay a thing

Old 06-23-2009, 03:48 AM
ya, i was told on numerous accounts that insurance can't tell you where to bring your car to be repaired it was against the law when i got rear ended, maybe thats just a california thing.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
You are legally entitled to have the vehicle repaired to its pre-accident condition, period.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
I would have taken it to a Honda dealership that has a body shop! You know they would have done it right. Good luck with it!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
The damage from the accident was repaired correctly, but they just didn't put the rear window back on properly. It seems like a fairly easy fix.

I talked with the manager at the Progressive drop-off place and I'm going to meet with him on Monday, so we'll see.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
very werd. when my wife got hit in her pos new corolla at the time the crazy middle aged woman (not my wife! ) had progressive. Progressive's agent was very nice, i used the toyota certified bodyshop in my area of my choice and they were fine with it. got paid in full.

keep calling progressive until you are happy with the results. you were the victim of the accident. that alone is bad enough.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Rasie all kinds of heck until they fix your Fit like new. That is lamo to damage your tint and do a sloppy job.

Cat :x