2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Can't Believe People

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
That is why I use my wife's handicap sticker. Us old decrepids are respectful of other peoples cars and those spots are sooo wide that 3 would Fit. Some days I really do need the sticker as I have bad back as well.
It's not right to misuse the handicap sticker like that. It's intended for your wife not you. It's OK if she is with you but it's not for you alone.

I have a bad back and other ailments too but I would never use those parking spots even if I'm using a car that has the sticker.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Before I got my Fit, I had a lovely incident like this at a bar that I frequent.

So I come walking out of the place late one night on a Wednesday. (They play all dance music on Wednesdays, country on mon, tues., fri, sat.) Low and behold "thugs" are just sitting there talking to each other SITTING on the hood of my Blazer. Now granted, it was old and crappy looking, but it was still my car. There it was, parked in one of the first spots, under the light post, and they still felt the need to sit physically on the car and lean against it too. Luckily, I had purchased the car used, and the guy before me had put remote start on it. (Rockin' the '94 Blazer with remote start, pure awesomeness) So as I stand right in the dorrway to the bar, I start the car. Me and one of the bouncers couldn't help but laugh our asses off so much because they all freaked. 2 people jumped off the car and the leaner took off running. It was great.

Moral of the story: Just because a car looks like shit doesn't mean people still don't take pride in their car.

Now I have my Fit though and just beep my "cute" little horn at them.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
With my '01 Rodeo, I didn't care where I parked, because it had hail damage and some other body damage. But I was also respectful of other people's cars, and never hit them with my car doors or ever leaned or sat on them.

Now with the Fit, I'm a nervous wreck about finding a far out spot to park. My wife doesn't like it. She says it's going to get dinged sooner or later. I say "I'd rather it be later than sooner."

Story about the Rodeo: When it was still in good condition, I was parked at a Wal-Mart and went to do shopping. We came back and I noticed the front of my hood was dented. It looked like some raised truck had hit my hood while parking in front of me, made a big dent. Of course, they weren't going to leave any contact info, and whatever hit it was not there when I returned, but it still irks me to this day. Learn how to park!

Last edited by STL_FIT; 09-08-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by STL_FIT
With my '01 Rodeo, I didn't care where I parked, because it had hail damage and some other body damage. But I was also respectful of other people's cars, and never hit them with my car doors or ever leaned or sat on them.

Now with the Fit, I'm a nervous wreck about finding a far out spot to park. My wife doesn't like it. She says it's going to get dinged sooner or later. I say "I'd rather it be later than sooner."

Story about the Rodeo: When it was still in good condition, I was parked at a Wal-Mart and went to do shopping. We came back and I noticed the front of my hood was dented. It looked like some raised truck had hit my hood while parking in front of me, made a big dent. Of course, they weren't going to leave any contact info, and whatever hit it was not there when I returned, but it still irks me to this day. Learn how to park!
Next time file a police report and the cops can pull Walmart's security tape of the parking lot.
I hate disrespectful people.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
It's not right to misuse the handicap sticker like that. It's intended for your wife not you. It's OK if she is with you but it's not for you alone.

I have a bad back and other ailments too but I would never use those parking spots even if I'm using a car that has the sticker.
I've never been in a parking lot lacking in available handicap spots....just sayin.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
I've never been in a parking lot lacking in available handicap spots....just sayin.
Well currently I am worse than the wife. I am hobbling around on two canes and doing physio.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well currently I am worse than the wife. I am hobbling around on two canes and doing physio.
Ask the doctor for one.

I didn't know the procedure, but I complained to my doctor about how mad I felt when I'd see people leap out of their cars like there was nothing wrong, and they had disabled placards. Meanwhile, I didn't have one and some days it's such a struggle. No problem, he says, and gets the form for me. We'd already had some x-rays and an MRI and various therapy and testing. So it wasn't like he gives them out to everyone.

And I don't always use it, or park close. On my better days I walk as much as I can. The worst days I simply don't even leave the house. I can't. Hurts too much. And I've ditched my groceries in the store before paying a few times when I realized I just could not stand up anymore, let alone wait in line to check out. I try to get to my car (or a bench).

Around here, finding a disabled spot is a challenge in and of itself. It sucks. There aren't very many spots. Some days that I can't find a close spot, I drive to another store. It would be too hard otherwise.

The only reason a placard should be used if is the disabled person is going into whatever business is being parked at. Driving someone who is disabled around and leaving them in the car is not legal here.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
That sucks...and yeah, I'm on yer side - even if ya didn't have injuries. Obtaining a temp handicap permit in GA is a pain in the butt, especially when yer injured. Yer wife's got a handi-tag, so it's nobody's damn business...except, of course, you laid it out for us in here

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I got home one day after I had just cleaned my car and noticed a nice long black streak along my back door handle. My stepdad was convinced it was down to the plastic, as it was not coming out.

A little elbow grease and wax got it out... but you would think people could simply be considerate. I always make sure I'm in the very center of the parking spot...

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
wouldn't parking next to a minivan make the most sense? hello sliding doors? granted the passenger/driver doors does not, but thats the case with every car.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Minivans often have kids (Soccer Moms and their children) who may not be careful with their doors.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Hock a loogey on their car next time.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:47 PM
all this crying about someone leaning on your car. jesus. can we start another floor mat thread instead?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by 09 Fit
Minivans often have kids (Soccer Moms and their children) who may not be careful with their doors.
.......with kids that pour out the sides of those vans with:

hard, plastic coolers with razor sharp mold lines

gigantic course mesh bags filled with soccer balls and a thousand brass safety pins clipped all over the bag ready to rip at yer painted surface like the cat o nine tails on a man's back

massive mom purses swinging like a medieval morning star flail

Originally Posted by bens300
all this crying about someone leaning on your car. jesus. can we start another floor mat thread instead?
Building bridges....making friends, i see....

Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
No need to be formal... just call me Spec.

And yes, I'll start another Floormat Thread.

Jeez... talk about crying... what is the point of posting...

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 09-13-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
u should have sat on the hood of his escalade and said... oh its ok, its not dented

Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
The last new car I bought in 97 was a GMC Safari cargo van. The girl I was involved with at the time had a son in Pee Wee Football and at a game I parked next to a new Explorer.... The kids that were being hauled in it had lost their game and slammed the rear door into my sliding door and left one hell of a crease in it....I hadn't had the thing for ten days.... My Fit has a grocery cart dent from a trip my wife took to Wally World parking on a slope and it was also hit on the same side on the edge of the rear bumper the same trip.... For some reason that ding disappeared, probably from the effect of the heat this summer on the plastic.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
You do realize that reading these threads is not mandatory, right?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 AM
As much as it wouldn't seem a big deal, it is pretty annoying.

Especially if you're sitting in the car when they do it.

I was at the local safeway and my buddy ran inside and these guys from the truck next to me ended up talking behind my car. Then the bigger of the two leaned up against my car and kept wiggling (which made me notice). So i turned on my car and then they finally realized someone was inside.

Pretty freaking ridiculous if you ask me.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Coming out of Target the other night, I noticed that the car opposite me had someone sitting in the driver's seat. So it appeared at first glance. But I think it was a hoodie pulled over the seat, with the hood over the headrest.

I did NOT go over to the car and press my face against the glass to find out for sure. Not that I am prone to pressing my face against car windows.

Could try that idea. Maybe adding some fake glasses:

For that Unibomber in the front seat look.

I think the people that came up with "The Fit is Go" also did "Daring! Don't Fear of My Eyes."

Giant's Glasses

Wait, these are a much better buy:

Dummy Glasses

Quick Reply: I Can't Believe People