2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sport vs. Base upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Sport vs. Base upgrades

I recently bought an '09 Base Fit and I enjoy it, but all things considered, I really wish I had sprung for the Sport.

I've been reading through posts to see what's involved in upgrading the various components. It seems clear that buying a sport would be much cheaper than trying to upgrade.

I read the post on keyless entry, that seems easy enough. Wheels ditto. So what about cruise control? Anyone upgraded a base to have cruise? It would be great if this site had a thread on how to upgrade your base model fit to a sport for DIY and/or cheap.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I think that researching the car well before purchasing is the best bet. Which options are MUST HAVES and what can you live without?

One person I know bought a Yaris in Canada, and just like living in California on the coast in an apartment, A/C is not necessary. BUT...if you plan on making trips in the car without A/C into areas that are known for their intense heat, then you HAVE to consider the comfort options of A/C.

But you're in the US, so you have A/C. And I have a Base, with the same engine everyone else has.

So, let's talk. How many miles do you put on your car per year and how much is extended highway travel?

Are you commuting 100 miles a day on the highway? Are you required to travel for business 100's of miles away from home via roadways?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
P.S. My Base has the auto lock/unlock due to the dealer installed KARR system. I've never had anything like that before. I would not have considered it a necessity, but it is VERY nice to have. Did your dealer not install something similar prior to you buying the car? If they did, they can activate it, you know.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
The most annoying thing is the lack of keyless entry, but cruise might be nice too...

I can't imagine that the cruise feature has anything more to it than some buttons since the engine is entirely computer controlled anyway.

All the really critical stuff it has, like power locks, power mirrors, power windows, AC...

I use it mostly to commute about 5 miles, so that by itself is hardly justification for cruise, but it would be nice to have if it were easy to add.

I only sort of regret not getting a sport - I wanted to keep the purchase price as low as possible and buying a base the way to do it...but anyway...

Still interested in knowing what would be involved in the various upgrades.

Also I'm interested in know if there is a benefit to having a base in some instances. I read that once I get my keyless system, I'll be better off cause I'll still have lock cylinders in the trunk and pass door. Any other tidbits like that?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM
What is the KARR system?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
KARR, as far as I can tell, mimics the Sport alarm and power lock/unlock system.

You might have something that looks like this under the left side of the steering wheel:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/47267-what-these.html

Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
If it's really doable for you, I'd suggest upgrading to a sport. I mean, that's the question right- base upgrades verses sport? If possible- just get a sport. I have a sport and once in a while I wish I got it with navi- just went that extra mile money wise. But I was being financially responsible and buying within my means- clap clap clap. I could have been even more responsible and got a base model, but as TW points out- it's best to know what you really need in the car. For me the sport made sense- not too much more than the base, cruise, the sport trim, etc. I knew I wanted the sport, not to mention I will not buy a car without cruise. It was the navi 'level' I couldn't rise to. I think the difference is less of a huge deal than it is between the base and sport. With all the noodling and expense to bring a base up to sport- I'd surely just get a sport if it's possible.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 09-06-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Not really an option to switch vehicles at this point. That would completely blow the plan to stay in budget. And I honestly don't want every sport feature, but I'm interested in knowing what things I may be able to add inexpensively. I've already discovered keyless entry - the biggest missing option IMHO - is super affordable.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I think the question is... do you also want a security system?

You could probably get a keyfob/key for $40 or so... and do the door opening thing yourself... but if you want a security system... 99% of them have the door unlock thing... so rather than spending for the key and then spending for the security system.. just spend for the security system..

As far as cruise goes, I figure the OEM will eventually be possible.. but it seems not enough people have really dug into the topic yet...

I was in the same boat as you.. keeping a budget.. dont really want all the sport features... but finding out how much the security system is gonna cost me.. and the desire to have cruise control... it's just one thing after another.. then again... I like a passenger door and a hatch key. :P

Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah - there has got to be an answer on the cruise thing. Maybe just no one has done it, but it's just a matter of successfully sending the computer the right signals. TaffetaWhite's link above is interesting, but kind of peters out. Apparently someone was able to do it with a Yaris successfully though.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Trying to keep price reasonable I decided we could afford either a base FIT with AT or a Sport with MT. I test drove both. My wife test drove only the Sport MT. She wanted cruise and remote door locks so we got the Sport MT. I'm so glad we did. The MT performs so much better and with the light gas pedal being a pain on long drives I use the cruise a lot.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I have the Karr system too, and it's really nice. Do wish my Base had cruise control, though. Other than that, I didn't think the Sport was worth the extra 2 grand the dealer wanted for them. Nice, but the 2 grand can go a long way for other stuff.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Lek
Do wish my Base had cruise control
Lot's of people just buy the Base and install cruise control 5,000 Thai baht/$140 US and other stuff just like the top model. E-mail this guy and maybe he'll send you one.

http://www.hondajazzlover.com/forum/...?topic=15741.0

Last edited by Lek; 09-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lek
Lot's of people just buy the Base and install cruise control 5,000 Thai baht/$140 US and other stuff just like the top model. E-mail this guy and maybe he'll send you one.

►►►►µÔ´µÑé§ ¤Çº¤ØÁ¤ÇÒÁàÃçÇ CRUISECONTROL ÃÒ¤Ò¶Ù¡ àÃÔèÁµé¹ 2500◄◄◄◄
Can you sum up what it says for us? I tried google translate and it isn't entirely easy to understand.

Is this indeed for the GE line? Are they using OEM cruise control parts to upgrade the Base? How are they hooking them up? Etc. etc.

thanks.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, my dealer says there is no cruise control that can be retro-fitted to a Fit without one.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Lek
Can you sum up what it says for us?
I don't have one fitted, but from what I make out, everything is semi wired in the GE harness already. It's just a matter of setting the cruise control in the steering wheel and wiring everthing up. Many of these guys have done it.