2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Stupid Service guy...window trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Stupid Service guy...window trouble

Ok, so I noticed that my rear driver side window was not rolling up as fast, and you could hear the motor straining. It seemed to be getting worse, so I took it in to have them check it out. The assistant service manager comes out to the car to check it out. He asks me where I got the car tinted, meanwhile rolling the windows up and down. I tell him where...and he says that it probably is the tint that is causing the problem. "Honda doesn't recommend tinting the windows, for this reason" he says. What a douche bag. He tells me that you would be surprised on how much tint can affect a windows operation. I look at him like he is crazy.

To make a long story short...they adjusted the motor, and window. It was binding somewhere inside the door. He then tells me on the phone - that it could have been from the factory, or the tint - and get this....he will let it go this time. What an ass...like trying to make me feel guilty or something.

Has anyone ever heard of tint causing trouble to a windows operation?

handymus

Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Highly doubt it was the tint.
If it was the tint all the windows would have the same characteristics.
I've never heard tint ever effecting a window motor. I think the service guy is just pulling your leg. They give any excuse to cover their butts.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 09-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
My car was tinted when I got it from the dealer, does that mean if I had problems with my windows it would be covered?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Tint should not cause window problems, most dealerships offer window tinting on cars. It is just another example of somebody on a powertrip.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
If you get your tint done at any reputable shop you should have not problems what so ever with your windows rolling up or down.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Dealership techs make me laugh. They always have some story about how anything that is not Genuine Honda (insert item name) is not right about the car. When I had my 99 Civic I had the tech tell me for about 15 minutes how a CAI is bad for the car and that if it was so good then Honda would have just designed the car with a CAI already installed. I've heard the same type of stories for header and exhaust and many others.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tint will not bind the windows...but rubber seals will.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Go back to that dealership and ask to see the manager of the STORE, who is everyone's boss and tell him what happened and ask him if he wants your business or not. Lots of times the little fish get too cocky cuz the big dog isnt in the shop that a often. Little pieces of crap like the guy you had to deal with get empowered from stuff like your situation. Its time to trim that SOBs wings.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
tint will not bind the windows...but rubber seals will.

BINGO!!!

Yeah, sorry for the shout, but I'll bet a cool grand the rubber seals are exactly what was causing yer issue. Driver's side, rear window = window sticker. The so-called detailer douchebags at the dealer left the 10+ months of sticker residue on the window of the Fit I bought. Just a few roll-up-and-downs ruined the seals, pulling them down permanently, and slowing down the movement. I pulled the seals back "up" using plastics, but the damage had been done. Back to the dealer, seals replaced. My sales dude new immediatley what the issue was when I approached him.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by handymus
Ok, so I noticed that my rear driver side window was not rolling up as fast, and you could hear the motor straining. It seemed to be getting worse, so I took it in to have them check it out. The assistant service manager comes out to the car to check it out. He asks me where I got the car tinted, meanwhile rolling the windows up and down. I tell him where...and he says that it probably is the tint that is causing the problem. "Honda doesn't recommend tinting the windows, for this reason" he says. What a douche bag. He tells me that you would be surprised on how much tint can affect a windows operation. I look at him like he is crazy.

To make a long story short...they adjusted the motor, and window. It was binding somewhere inside the door. He then tells me on the phone - that it could have been from the factory, or the tint - and get this....he will let it go this time. What an ass...like trying to make me feel guilty or something.

Has anyone ever heard of tint causing trouble to a windows operation?

handymus
I have a problem with my back left window too. Sounds like the same problem. I have no tint.

So much so that sometimes it makes the interior panel "shudder" while the window is going up.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I have a problem with my back left window too. Sounds like the same problem. I have no tint.

So much so that sometimes it makes the interior panel "shudder" while the window is going up.

Yah...take it back to the dealer. I could hear the motor straining, which I would imagine would burn out the motor eventually. After they adjusted it, or found the "bind" (thats what was on the service paper, but not specific as to what was binding...) it is perfect. Nice and fast.

handymus

Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 AM
you guys lucky my MPG always reads 28.2 and goes up to 29.0 when i drive on the high way

Old 09-12-2009, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
If Honda doesn't recommend tint on the windows then why do they put it as an add-on.