2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

'09 Navi unit swap for aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM
'09 Navi unit swap for aftermarket

I'm still in the debating process of which Fit to get. Navi or no navi. If I choose the navi model, could I go ahead and switch out the OEM navi for an aftermarket one such as Pioneer or Kenwood? I really love the on-steering wheel button features and also the VSA for the vehicle. What do you think?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Audio steering wheel controls are addable.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-non-navi.html

VSA at this time is not addable (well, it would be PROHIBITIVELY expensive it seems if it was possible, based on US parts prices for the needed parts -- much more than just getting the vsa/navi model.)

That being said, I think the Navi unit just needs a firmware hack in order to open up some of it's features. I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of buying it only to replace it.

What unit do you wish to replace it with, and why? i.e. what features are you missing that you would want?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I just find Honda's navi very ugly. Haha. But it has the touch screen features for the iPod controls too. I'm still looking for which is the best unit out there to replace it with. I still don't understand the $185 update fee for the navi. I know other units out there cost less.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Her interestingstuff: Are you speculating with the Firmware hack are is there some sort of info around about doing it?

Just wondering, got my Navi fit yesterday, and if there are more options to be unlocked, then by all means I'm down for it.

thanks!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by FiXXXerX
Her interestingstuff: Are you speculating with the Firmware hack are is there some sort of info around about doing it?

Just wondering, got my Navi fit yesterday, and if there are more options to be unlocked, then by all means I'm down for it.
I'm just speculating about the firmware hack. I believe that it is known that this unit on other cars has some features unlocked that this one doesn't... I don't have one, so I would suggest doing some searching of the forums.

All that it needs is someone to get it done.

But basically my question boiled down to "WHY?" As in, why the OP wanted to change the unit after spending so much money on it... His primary concern was appearance... well, I think a few hundred dollars can buy some appearance customization work instead of replacement.

If his concern was features.. the first question would be... is this unit capable of doing those features, and if so, what would one need to do to get them working if they're not already?