2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Picking a fight with the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
OP Probably wasn't using turn signals which is my number one pet peeve. Zipping in and out of cars usually means barely squeezing your vehicle in front of another. And if you can barely squeeze a FIT... No car should go there.

In general KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS... Zipping in and out of traffic means you are passing on the right, which in every state I know of, is illegal.
Just wondering, what states do you know of where passing on the right is illegal on a multi-lane highway? I've heard of this myself, but I've never actually seen it. I think just about every state has a "keep right except to pass" law though and I know it's illegal to pass on the right when you have to go into a non-lane (i.e. the shoulder).

I've been in situations where a car in the leftmost lane is driving substantially below the speed of the traffic flow (like 50 mph in a 65 area) that have required me to pass the car on the right, but I've always wondered whether I could get ticketed for that or not...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chinky
Good for you for not keying his car! Karma is a biatch!

But I loathe people who zip in and out of lanes. I love my car and I always do my best to avoid high risk situations. Although your driving skills might be crazy-mad-elite, drivers like you make me nervous because I have no idea what you're thinking or where you're going. What if I look down to grab my coffee while you zip in front of me and hit the brakes? This is bad news for both of us.

The guy in the SUV is an *** for doing what he did, but I can empathize with how he felt.
nice sn...............

Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
Just wondering, what states do you know of where passing on the right is illegal on a multi-lane highway? I've heard of this myself, but I've never actually seen it. I think just about every state has a "keep right except to pass" law though and I know it's illegal to pass on the right when you have to go into a non-lane (i.e. the shoulder).

I've been in situations where a car in the leftmost lane is driving substantially below the speed of the traffic flow (like 50 mph in a 65 area) that have required me to pass the car on the right, but I've always wondered whether I could get ticketed for that or not...
I believe that passing on the right is illegal everywhere even on a "multi-lane highway". Nothing to do with the "non-lane" (shoulder).

When someone is going 50 in a 65 zone in the left lane it doesn't give you the right to pass (definitely not "requiring" you to pass on the right). I know that someone going 50 in the left lane isn't right either but the law is the law. I also think that that person going 50 should get a ticket for not keeping to the right.

These simple rules are so misunderstood that it often causes frustration and road rage.

Last edited by Virtual; 09-23-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
The only thing I do that I'm not too proud of is when someone turns onto the road I'm on and I'm doing 55 and they're doing 10, and they're about 15 car lengths ahead. What I'll do is change lanes and promptly cut back in front of them as soon as I pass them. Other than that, I'm actually quite tame for a 19 year old.
Why would you do that? How are they suppose to get on the road then if they cant drive 10 at first?

This happened to me on time when I wanted to turn on a road guy was probably sleeping behind his wheel because I saw him braking right at the last moment. He was definately driving over the speed limit too. It scared the hell out of me because I thought he was going to hit me. And then he honked the horn at me like it was my fault. I gave him at least a 3 sec distance. Then he had to change lanes only 50meters later.

What was I suppose to do? Wait till there is absolutely no one on the road? That road is pretty populated too. I thought I had given him enough distance. I just suspect that he was probably just sleeping behind his wheel and had misjudged the speed of my car at first.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
When people pull up to those intersections where there's the area in the median between the roads and turn in front of me when there's more than a 1/4 mile of space behind me is when people get on my nerves. If I have to coast down to about 40 from a 55, i'm fine with it, it's when I have to slam on my brakes and perform an emergency lane change to avoid hitting them is when I have a problem.

Oh, and the speed limit on the road that takes me home is 55. I'm not the type to speed. I'm no more than 3 miles an hour over the limit at any time.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Virtual
I believe that passing on the right is illegal everywhere even on a "multi-lane highway". Nothing to do with the "non-lane" (shoulder).

When someone is going 50 in a 65 zone in the left lane it doesn't give you the right to pass (definitely not "requiring" you to pass on the right). I know that someone going 50 in the left lane isn't right either but the law is the law. I also think that that person going 50 should get a ticket for not keeping to the right.
Blocking the passing lane is illegal even if you are going the speed limit. If you are going 65 in the left most lane and speed of the traffic is 75 you are breaking the law.

The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:
This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..." (*)
It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a travelling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:
No law against passing on the right on a multilane highway see (b) below.

(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
These simple rules are so misunderstood that it often causes frustration and road rage.
This is true.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
uhh, maybe in Canada... or Vermont

When someone is going 50 in a 65 zone in the left lane it doesn't give you the right to pass (definitely not "requiring" you to pass on the right).
Yes it does. If you can't go the speed limit GTFO out of the left lane.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member

Looked at a few more laws closely and I may be incorrect in my previous statement. It doesn't implicitly state that passing on the right is illegal but does state that drivers must keep right, except to pass. In theory, if everyone was following the law, there would be no opportunity to pass on the right so the topic would not even be brought up. But... as I said before, it isn't implicitly stated however implied that you should be passing on the left. (unless you live in England, or Austrailia... or other RHD countries)

Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Why would you do that? How are they suppose to get on the road then if they cant drive 10 at first?

This happened to me on time when I wanted to turn on a road guy was probably sleeping behind his wheel because I saw him braking right at the last moment. He was definately driving over the speed limit too. It scared the hell out of me because I thought he was going to hit me. And then he honked the horn at me like it was my fault. I gave him at least a 3 sec distance. Then he had to change lanes only 50meters later.

What was I suppose to do? Wait till there is absolutely no one on the road? That road is pretty populated too. I thought I had given him enough distance. I just suspect that he was probably just sleeping behind his wheel and had misjudged the speed of my car at first.
Out of common courtesy, if you can't get up to speed, by the time the oncoming car crawls up your ass, you shouldn't enter traffic. Also, if the car has the ability to get up to speed... use the power... (but this is just a theory I live by)

~SB

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Ok I must've mis-typed what I meant or didn't read what I typed. I wasn't zipping in and out of lanes like a jerk. It was more of there was a free space on that side so I switch there. I wasn't doing that crazy, no turn light moving in and out of everywhere or cutting off people. People were going slower than the speed limit and some were braking WAY ahead of the red light, so that's what I meant by "zipping" in and out of lanes.

When I posted this topic, I was in class so I was in a rush. Sorry if I pissed some people off, but please don't think I'm a jerk driver.

And to the guy that said I wanted Rep for this, not at all, I was just venting. I typed some stuff that I shouldn't have (like key the guys car). I was just frustrated.

Sorry everyone

Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member

Again, I'm curious what states where passing on the right is illegal, so I know not to do it in those states.

For example, here's what the driving manual for NY says:

"You may pass a vehicle on the right only in the situations listed below, and only if you can do so safely. You may not drive on or across the shoulder or edge line of the road unless a sign permits it. You may pass on the right:
  • When a vehicle ahead is making a left turn.
  • When you are driving on a one-way road that is marked for two or more lanes or is wide enough for two or more lanes, and passing is not restricted by signs.
"
From the NY DMV driver's manual:
NYS DMV - Driver's Manual - Chapter 6

Note that it says that you MAY pass on the right. I think most divided highways count as a "one-way road" that is marked for "two or more lanes".

I know it's illegal in most of Europe, but they enforce the keep right rule a lot more rigorously than here :-p.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
i dont think you should post this stuff on ff. cuz you wont get the answers you want to hear. i should know i got an infraction for something similar. so i mean keep it to your friends and stuff cuz there wont be any support here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
And your how old?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
You saved maybe 5 seconds on your commute but wasted more gas and pissed people off. Good for you.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Again, I'm curious what states where passing on the right is illegal, so I know not to do it in those states.

For example, here's what the driving manual for NY says:

"You may pass a vehicle on the right only in the situations listed below, and only if you can do so safely. You may not drive on or across the shoulder or edge line of the road unless a sign permits it. You may pass on the right:
  • When a vehicle ahead is making a left turn.
  • When you are driving on a one-way road that is marked for two or more lanes or is wide enough for two or more lanes, and passing is not restricted by signs.
"
From the NY DMV driver's manual:
NYS DMV - Driver's Manual - Chapter 6

Note that it says that you MAY pass on the right. I think most divided highways count as a "one-way road" that is marked for "two or more lanes".

I know it's illegal in most of Europe, but they enforce the keep right rule a lot more rigorously than here :-p.
Dude he's from Canada so he was probably thinking of their laws.

Oh, and I hope they would enforce a keep LEFT rule in Europe.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
Out of common courtesy, if you can't get up to speed, by the time the oncoming car crawls up your ass, you shouldn't enter traffic. Also, if the car has the ability to get up to speed... use the power... (but this is just a theory I live by)

~SB
Right on. In my opinion if I have to use the brake or otherwise take evasive action, it means the other driver ran the stop sign/light. Simple as that - you may proceed "When it is safe" and if someone has to take action to avoid hitting you, it was not safe for you to proceed.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100

very true!!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
^FFS This^

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Dude he's from Canada so he was probably thinking of their laws.

Oh, and I hope they would enforce a keep LEFT rule in Europe.
No, It's keep "right" in Europe, except in the U.K.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

correct. AFAIK every single state. this is however not really enforced (at least over here) but when one pulled over passing on right is one of the things that can be sighted. you know, some cops like to give "packages" of sightations in one go at a times...

legal minimum speed on expressway is 45. if one is driving 50 is obviously not nice of him but he is still within the legal limit. yeah, i hate those and look around multiple times before passing.

and as far as OP, sounds like you believe it is only you who are entitled to zip in and out of lanes huh?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
driving spiritedly is fun, but if you're pissing people off you're doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: Picking a fight with the Fit