2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EPA MPG insane

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by skydiverman
even better than that everyone who used the clunker program was going to go bankrupt or end up repo'd because we couldnt afford the payments.
That was the most absurd generalization I have heard about the program. First of all I thought the program was dumb to begin with, but if Obama wants to continue to throw our tax money down the toilet I don't blame anyone for taking a handout.

What I find so ironic however about the people taking advantage of the program, is how they somehow got labeled as poor trailer trash who would default on payments. Actually it's the other way around. The people taking advantage of the program are most likely very fiscally conservative. These are people who have held on to the same car for many, many years, thus negating the effects of a new car payment. These same people only decided to purchase a new vehicle when the goverment was willing to throw $4,500 into the deal, meaning they are smart about the way they spend their money. These are not reckless spenders who buy new cars every couple of years, but frugal, smart, responsible people who took advantage of a good thing.

They did not replace their old gas guzzlers with new luxury cars either, but rather smaller economical cars like the Fit. I have the utmost respect for people who used the clunker program to their advantage. I am a fiscal conservative and I have a deep respect for others who are the same. They are the smart ones, not their idiot critics. The idiot critics are the ones who bought more house, more car, and more stuff than they could afford and got us in the financial mess we're in today.

Cash for clunkers buyers I salute you on a job well done!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 PM
hey not to thread jack, but how badly does not getting an alignment effect mpg's?

Last edited by kingofpicklez; 09-28-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingofpicklez
hey not to thread jack, but how badly does not getting an alignment effect mpg's?
Bad enough, but from a financial perspective not as bad as it effects your upcoming need for a new set of front tires.

Why would it need an alignment so soon? Did you smoke a curb?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
What I find so ironic however about the people taking advantage of the program, is how they somehow got labeled as poor trailer trash who would default on payments. Actually it's the other way around. The people taking advantage of the program are most likely very fiscally conservative. These are people who have held on to the same car for many, many years, thus negating the effects of a new car payment. These same people only decided to purchase a new vehicle when the goverment was willing to throw $4,500 into the deal, meaning they are smart about the way they spend their money. These are not reckless spenders who buy new cars every couple of years, but frugal, smart, responsible people who took advantage of a good thing.
Precisely. theres money in this recession, but the smart folks arent spending it, they're staying frugal, and watching every penny - but staying ready to pounce on a deal that cant be passed up. We have enough cash in the bank to have paid in full if we wanted. Instead of buying something extravagent, I'm commuting to work in the least expensive car honda makes. Some folks who just wanted to bash clunkers, came up with every excuse in the book, but they just dont get it.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
+1 to the original poster. I picked up the car 2 months ago and thought I was driving it like I stole it and so far 2.2k on the clock and hand calculated, I have not gotten below 36mpg

Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Unhappy Gettin no love

I'm new to the forum as we just bought an '07 Fit Sport 5spdm with 56K on it. We bought the car 175mi away from home and got back into town with a little more than half a tank left. The rest of the tank was around town with a final 30mpg, satisfactory.
So we fill it up and run a full tank down just in-city miles. Boy was I shocked to see 202.7 on the trip meter and 8.65 gallon added, for a deplorable 23.4!!
My wife drives the car the most, but we are both fairly "spirited" drivers especially with a new toy in our hands. We typically shift in the 4k range for first and second, but doesn't everybody?
Anyway the car is awesome, but I was expecting to spank-it and still get high 20's.
So what is a couple of heavy foots to do?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by labman
I'm new to the forum as we just bought an '07 Fit Sport 5spdm with 56K on it. We bought the car 175mi away from home and got back into town with a little more than half a tank left. The rest of the tank was around town with a final 30mpg, satisfactory.
So we fill it up and run a full tank down just in-city miles. Boy was I shocked to see 202.7 on the trip meter and 8.65 gallon added, for a deplorable 23.4!!
My wife drives the car the most, but we are both fairly "spirited" drivers especially with a new toy in our hands. We typically shift in the 4k range for first and second, but doesn't everybody?
Anyway the car is awesome, but I was expecting to spank-it and still get high 20's.
23.4 is really low. Something's wrong. Try another tank and calculate again. The consensus is that even while driving this car like you stole it, it should rarely return high 20s / low 30s.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
CARS Program

Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite

One of the criticisms of the CARS/Clunkers program was the opinion that people who get a car that has much better mpg than their former car would then drive much more. Virtually wiping out any gas savings for the consumer, and not helping with reducing the gas usage overall (as a nation).

How has your experience been? You probably didn't change jobs just to have the opportunity to drive farther and spend the same amount on gas that you used to. But do you find yourself making or considering longer trips than you used to?

Certainly there is a "new car feeling" with any car, new or new-to-you. A period of adjustment, where you DO have to drive it to get used to it. To know how it handles. To know how it steers, starts, stops, accelerates. What it can and can't do. And that doesn't depend on mpg or a government program. It's a common sense, practical thing. Even if you had gone from a 45 mpg hybrid to a combine. You still have to get the feel of the vehicle. Duh.

I personally didn't buy through CARS, and do get much better MPG in my Fit than my old car. The only reason I'd consider a trip at this point is because I have a DEPENDABLE car. I probably won't make a trip. And with under 2,000 miles on the car in 9 months, I'm not a big driver.

I just wonder about what other people do. Do you want to make trips? Or take long drives? Besides the getting to know the car thing. And is it because of the mpg, or because it's a car that is so much better than whatever you had before?
I bought my FIT through CARS Program. I trade-in my 99 GMC Jimmy 4x4 which I usually get 15-16 MPG. My commute distance is 70 miles roundtrip. So I had to fill-up my tank every 2-3 days. It costed me $11.67 a day. Right now I drive FIT to work. I fill-up my tank weekly instead of every 2-3 days. My FIT gets 35 MPG. So it cost me $5 a day. Assume the unlead gas is $2.5 / gallon. I save $6.67 a day or $146.74 a month (22 work days) or $1760.88 a year (at minimum). I still drive the same distance as I used to. I almost forget about gas stations which I used to stop every 2-3 days.

Addiotnal, my 99 GMC Jimmy was over 100,000 miles. It needed new tires, tune-up and transimmsion repair. Local dealer estimated the repair cost was $3,350. So CARS Program is a very good deal for me. The money I save will pay for my FIT. $4,500 from CARS and $3,350 from repair. I would think another $500 for tires. The saving is almost half of my FIT already. Beside I got a more reliable car to drive to work.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I think 23.4 MPG is a little bit low. I would think you should get at least 28-30MPG if you drive it very hard. I got 35MPG city/highway (actual). I am a little bit conservative and my RPM never goes beyond 4000RPM.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
I bought my FIT through CARS Program. I trade-in my 99 GMC Jimmy 4x4 which I usually get 15-16 MPG. My commute distance is 70 miles roundtrip. So I had to fill-up my tank every 2-3 days. It costed me $11.67 a day. Right now I drive FIT to work. I fill-up my tank weekly instead of every 2-3 days. My FIT gets 35 MPG. So it cost me $5 a day. Assume the unlead gas is $2.5 / gallon. I save $6.67 a day or $146.74 a month (22 work days) or $1760.88 a year (at minimum). I still drive the same distance as I used to. I almost forget about gas stations which I used to stop every 2-3 days.

Addiotnal, my 99 GMC Jimmy was over 100,000 miles. It needed new tires, tune-up and transimmsion repair. Local dealer estimated the repair cost was $3,350. So CARS Program is a very good deal for me. The money I save will pay for my FIT. $4,500 from CARS and $3,350 from repair. I would think another $500 for tires. The saving is almost half of my FIT already. Beside I got a more reliable car to drive to work.
That's awesome! Another CARS success story!

I'd like to see the CARS program offered up every few years. With a bit of a change, things like "all cars over XX years old" being eligible, with a mandatory 10 mpg increase for the new car (no matter what was traded in) and perhaps a slightly lower incentive, maybe $3,500.

Even after your car is paid for, you'll still keep on saving! Stuff that savings money into an interest-bearing account, and rejoice as your savings multiply!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Do a fuel consumption test.

Find a gas station near a freeway.
Fill up at a specific pump to the first click.
Write down your odometer mileage.
Get on freeway, drive 50 miles at an even speed.
Turn around. Come back.
Go to exactly the same pump.
Fill up to the first click.
Write down your odometer mileage.
Subtract the first number from the second number (miles driven will be about 100 miles).
Divide by the gallons used as shown on your fill-up.
Post your results.

You'll be surprised.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Finally was able to turn off the A/C for this last tank. Air temp finally went below 100.
40.2 mpg, all in town, no soft pedaling. (Pump mpg, not the guage.)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
how old is the oil? Is it the correct amount (3.8L I believe)? how is the air filter? tires balanced and filled?
if if all of these have negative answers, it may count up to 6mpg

Last edited by cab0053; 10-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
labman...Yeah, 23 sounds way too low. I shift at 4,000 on my 09, full synthetic oil, and tires at 35 psi. Never get below 35 even with the a/c running. Something is amiss.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
just got my fit saturday and just went on my first daily route with it today
it started at 20.6 mpg and by the time I got home it was at 23.7 mpg is this normal for a new fit, do I just have to break it in?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dnamsterr
just got my fit saturday and just went on my first daily route with it today
it started at 20.6 mpg and by the time I got home it was at 23.7 mpg is this normal for a new fit, do I just have to break it in?
Are you talking about the AVE MPG indicator? It's off. In all of our cars. And thus far Honda has no intention of fixing it.

How many miles are you driving? Under what conditions? Again, look at the instructions for the Fuel Consumption Test. Post your results.

You'll then have something to compare with. You'll see your car gets excellent mpg on the highway at a steady speed (between 55-65). Over 40 mpg.

And you can sob as it drops dramatically as you idle, deal with stop and go traffic, etc.

MPG is a combination of factors. You can learn to maximize your fuel, no matter where you live. There's always room for driver improvement. The CAR isn't going to "improve" as much as the driver NEEDS to learn how to use the car.

The car only does what you tell it to do. If you stomp on the gas, the car will go. And it will use the amount of fuel necessary to do what you are asking it to do. Whether it's going on flat roads or on hills, the car can ONLY do what you tell it to do. YOU are in control of your mpg in the sense that you control the car, even though you don't control the landscape.

You might be able to vary your route to one with fewer stops, or fewer hills. Changing routes might mean driving a bit farther overall, but using a roadway that has synchronized traffic signals so you don't have to stop. Driving around hills rather than over.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Finally was able to turn off the A/C for this last tank. Air temp finally went below 100.
40.2 mpg, all in town, no soft pedaling. (Pump mpg, not the guage.)
Finally Below 100? We had Frost last night and were in the 30's. 42 when I left for work at 8:30am.

I'm noticing an average MPG difference though of about 2mpg since it's been in the 40's and 50's vs the 70's and 80's

~SB

Old 10-14-2009, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Oh. Well, I don't have 2,000 miles on the car yet, but I've had it since December. Nine months. It's at 80%. I thought there was some kind of special recipe oil in there when we get the car that we were supposed to use up?

I'll ask the dealer on Monday, for the oil change. They still have to mess with my back window anyway.
You really should get out more - lmao.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
We typically shift in the 4k range for first and second, but doesn't everybody?
Here's a thread for you to read up on:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...as-milage.html

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
specboy...Yeah, it's been over 100 since about May. Into the low 90's this week. Feels cold! Frost? I think we had some of that in '86. A Wednesday, I believe.

Quick Reply: EPA MPG insane