2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EPA MPG insane

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
There is an update to the PCM to correct the computed fuel economy. I don't have the bulletin number right now but I can look it up later. I'm a service advisor at a Honda dealer, the bulletin said the computer is using a wrong data set to compute the figure, it's off by 10%, I think it said. The update is covered under warranty until 8/80.
Please post the tech bulletin number. If it's available online, a URL would really be helpful, so we can take a printed copy to a dealer. ~10% error is what pretty much everybody here has been reporting. Thanks for reporting this.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure about Canadian models but would expect there would be eventually if not already. The bulletin number is 09-086 and applies to all 2009 USDM Fits. How does one post files? I downloaded the pdf. 8/80 is the US federal emissions warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Last edited by rhyneba; 11-21-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure about Canadian models but would expect there would be eventually if not already. The bulletin number is 09-086 and applies to all 2009 USDM Fits. How does one post files? I downloaded the pdf. 8/80 is the US federal emissions warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
I can't see how to attach files on the board, but you could always upload it to a place like sendspace (Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!), and then post the link it gives you here.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
MPG PCM update pdf link

Download Fit MPG.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Done, thanks for the resource.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for pointing out Sendspace.com -- I've been looking for something like this.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
AWESOME!!! FInally a fix for the stupid fuel gauge!!!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
dupe post (it's worth it):

Originally Posted by Selden
Thanks for pointing out Sendspace.com -- I've been looking for something like this.
Scribd is much more friendly for sharing documents. It has a less offensive business model. Windows live also has skydrive, and google has google docs. Sendspace annoyed me.

Here's a link to the pdf I just uploaded on scribd.

Of course you could ftp it to your ISP hosted space, but that's a pain if you're not into it.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-22-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
So, is there one for the 2010 models, or is it already fixed for them? I haven't had enough refills to gauge whether or not it's accurate.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I know where I'm going to be Friday morning. I'll be at the Honda dealer bright and early with that bulletin in one hand, and my mileage log in the other. I've kept track of that discrepancy every tankful since the car was new. I knew that would come in handy someday.

Maybe that link to the service bulltin should be stickied.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I'll see if my dealer can fix mine without trying to tell me I can't do math, or some other comment making me look stupid.

Awesome find!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I think, reading between the lines, Honda wants to make sure you understand the car is actually getting lower mpg than the display shows before they alter its logic. If you have to tell them anything more than, "yeah, I manually calculated mpg and the display is consistently high by 4mpg" I'd be surprised.

I can imagine the complaints from customers dumb and happy they're getting 40mpg to drive out after a "tune up" and see they're only getting 34MPG!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by skydiverman
Maybe i got a one off or something, but it just seems to me that the epa numbers for the fit HAVE to be sandbagged. Reading other forums I see that civic owners get 28-34 in a car rated for up to 36 mpg, but in the fit rated for 33mpg, I cant get lower than 37. Could it be that honda sandbagged it to avoid cutting into the civic sales where they make more profit?

so far driving conservatively i've gotten
thats using the miles driven divided by the gallons inserted - the guage is off in lala land, thats a whole 'nother topic.

I drove as HARD as I could given the traffic patterns, hot rodding around for an entire tank, jack rabbit starting at every light. net result;

37mpg.

wtf.

how on earth could this car be rated at 33?

Is anyone actually getting that low a MPG in a fit sport manual?

I have owned my 2010 Taffeta sport Manual Transmission since thursday. I am averaging 30.2 miles per gallon and jsut filled up this afternoon.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
I think a lot of people will be surprised after getting this fix. Highway is one thing, where you at least have a shot at getting some great mileage. But city, there's almost nothing you can do. 27- 28 mpg, is all you can realize, ime. Maybe you can squeeze out 29, maybe. I drive normally, not heavy foot. That's right at EPA, so no foul there. But anyone getting much more than that city is either relying on a mpg faulty gauge, driving extremely slow [which doesn't guarantee better mileage] or just not being truthful. Highway mpg's, all bets are off. There you can really do well. I'm very pleased with my city mileage the way it stands. I gas up every two weeks. That's a beautiful thing compared to what I was doing before.

Dan

Old 11-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I think a lot of people will be surprised after getting this fix. Highway is one thing, where you at least have a shot at getting some great mileage. But city, there's almost nothing you can do. 27- 28 mpg, is all you can realize, ime. Maybe you can squeeze out 29, maybe. I drive normally, not heavy foot. That's right at EPA, so no foul there. But anyone getting much more than that city is either relying on a mpg faulty gauge, driving extremely slow [which doesn't guarantee better mileage] or just not being truthful. Highway mpg's, all bets are off. There you can really do well. I'm very pleased with my city mileage the way it stands. I gas up every two weeks. That's a beautiful thing compared to what I was doing before.

Dan
My experience as well, sorta. In the city, I'm pulling in 30-31 as long as I don't climb many hills. Unfortunately, part of my commute involves climbing a steep grade (sea-level to 500 or so feet, in stop/go traffic), and I can watch the avg MPG meter clicking down like a reverse version of the national debt clock.

I was astounded to find that on a highway trip last week, I got 39.1, doing 65-75 on the freeway, with the A/C on part of the time. My gauge has proven more or less reliable - I was REALLY concerned when I heard of issues with the gauge's readings and was showing 24-25 during the first week... it seems to have improved quite noticably after the first 1000 miles.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I think, reading between the lines, Honda wants to make sure you understand the car is actually getting lower mpg than the display shows before they alter its logic. If you have to tell them anything more than, "yeah, I manually calculated mpg and the display is consistently high by 4mpg" I'd be surprised.

I can imagine the complaints from customers dumb and happy they're getting 40mpg to drive out after a "tune up" and see they're only getting 34MPG!
I stopped by the dealer tonight to schedule this fix. I showed the bulletin to the service writer, and his first reaction was: "where did you get this?" He said he hadn't heard anything about this problem. It was almost funny. I showed them my mileage logbook where I've been recording both indicated and calculated mileage for the past 13,000 miles, and they schduled me for the update tomorrow afternoon-no problem.

I don't expect any "surprises", since I've only really kept track of my calculated (actual) fuel economy, and that won't change (I hope).

Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
My experience as well, sorta. In the city, I'm pulling in 30-31 as long as I don't climb many hills. Unfortunately, part of my commute involves climbing a steep grade (sea-level to 500 or so feet, in stop/go traffic), and I can watch the avg MPG meter clicking down like a reverse version of the national debt clock.
Yeah. It's really the stop and go that kills it mostly. I have one hill leaving work, but that's it. It's the constant acceleration from stop [stop signs/lights] that works against you in a hurry and keeps you down. If you can maintain speed, even a fast speed, steady, your fuel consumption immediately improves- and the gauge will tick 'up' in your favor.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 11-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Yeah. It's really the stop and go that kills it mostly. I have one hill leaving work, but that's it. It's the constant acceleration from stop [stop signs/lights] that works against you in a hurry and keeps you down. If you can maintain speed, even a fast speed, steady, you're fuel consumption immediately improves- and the gauge will tick 'up' in your favor.

Dan
Another thing that will absolutely slaughter your fuel economy is if most of your driving is short trips of five minutes or less, ie: the ones that barely give your engine time to reach operating temps. This is especially true in colder ambient climates.

The reason of course is that until an engine reaches operating temp it's burning a much richer fuel mixture---- and therefore getting fewer miles per gallon. Combine this with city driving and it's easy to see why fuel economy, even with a Fit, can go straight into the toilet.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I get between 36-38 mpg, no matter where I drive, highway or city or hills or mountains. Don't do anything special, and don't drive it easy. (since the fix came out on the mpg indicator, it now reads what I am actually getting) Don't know how much it matters, but I have been using full synthetic oil since the first oil change at 4,000 miles. I don't care what the oil minder says. Oil and filters are cheap. Engines are not.

Last edited by citabria7; 12-12-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Would they have applied this updated to a recent 2009 purchase? Or are they waiting for the customers, rather than pushing the update to existing inventory?

Quick Reply: EPA MPG insane