2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory speakers, good bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
and a slight lack of clarity vs. proper separates
This is exactly what I'm finding too- in the bass region. It's a bit mushy. A lack of even a modest multiband eq [4-6 bands] isn't helping either. Only having bass and treble boost/cut makes it somewhat of a challenge. You can get a pretty decent sound stock though, no doubt. Certainly very good for the average listener. The radio sounds great, as do cd's. I would just like more eq control. What I appreciate is my daughters ipod in the usb connection, as opposed to my mp3 player being rendered to using the aux jack. There is a significant difference in volume between the two, as well as sound quality, I believe. When you use the aux jack, you're stuck relying on your mp3 players DAC to go out from the headphone jack, and then the fits ADC on the aux jack, which together puts a bit of a hurt on the sound quality. Using the usb hookup takes out the converters from the equasion and the audio remains in the digital realm and thus- immediately better sound. At least I think that's what's going on. I must get a compatable usb unit, for sure. Until then, I'm gonna go back to doing serious monitoring from cd's, in the car.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 10-22-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
This is exactly what I'm finding too- in the bass region. It's a bit mushy. A lack of even a modest multiband eq [4-6 bands] isn't helping either. Only having bass and treble boost/cut makes it somewhat of a challenge. You can get a pretty decent sound stock though, no doubt. Certainly very good for the average listener. The radio sounds great, as do cd's. I would just like more eq control. What I appreciate is my daughters ipod in the usb connection, as opposed to my mp3 player being rendered to using the aux jack. There is a significant difference in volume between the two, as well as sound quality, I believe. When you use the aux jack, you're stuck relying on your mp3 players DAC to go out from the headphone jack, and then the fits ADC on the aux jack, which together puts a bit of a hurt on the sound quality. Using the usb hookup takes out the converters from the equasion and the audio remains in the digital realm and thus- immediately better sound. At least I think that's what's going on. I must get a compatable usb unit, for sure. Until then, I'm gonna go back to doing serious monitoring from cd's, in the car.

Dan
I know with the Aux input you can mess with the EQ on the iPod itself more in depth than you can with the car's 2 choices.

Does the EQ selection make itself present when it's plugged in through the USB input?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
I think a part of the problem you are having is that you replaced it with a cheap coaxial speaker. If you want serious sound quality just drop the $150 now instead of later and get you a pair of infinity kappa 'COMPONENT' speakers AND an external amplifier (another$100-$150).

If you look at that pioneer speaker you will see that there is a hole in the mid-woofer to acomodate the shaft for the tweater meaning less surface area on the woofer. Combine that with the fact most manufactures use cheaper materials in their coaxial speakers and of course you are going to get poor sound from that. The fit is SO perfect for component speakers because it already has an excellent mounting place for tweeters in the dash.

Bottom line is that you pretty much have to get an extrernal amp and better speakers if you want to do it seriously. Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 10-25-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199

Dan

You might be stuck with getting a proper dedicated subwoofer to solve most of that. You dont have to go crazy and get 2 12s and a (2000/1000rms) huge amp if you dont want to. Sometimes I wish I would have just bought a single 10 and built a compact sealed box instead of building a monster 4.4 cubic foot ported box to piss of the neighbors... 3 blocks away. A single 10 with a small box will give you quality high impact bass. Just dont expect crazy low frequency extension (whch most listeners dont like much anyway) You could easily do this for under $200 if you aren't picky about brands and can do the wiring yourself.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I got hold of a larger set of speakers and changed out the 5 1/4's with :
Pioneer TS-G1643R 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Speakers
They seem better but I'm still leaning toward putting the factory rear ones back

Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Hmm... They sound pretty low budget to me. Better than my first car though!
(EDIT: and my second. Definitely my third. Way better than the fourth. About even with the fifth. Not as good as the sixth. Yes, the FIT is lucky #7. I'm promiscuous with cars; I keep them 2-3 years on average, always convinced that my latest is the one I'll keep to 100K miles. Never happens!)

Biggest thing about them is that they sound terrible if you try to turn up the bass. Keep it centered at 0, and they sound pretty nice. Try to cheap and get more bass, and it muddys up both the bass and midrange. The highs sound decent.

Add a small sub under the rear seat if really 'need' extra bass.

(My Element had an integrated sub in the dash - I usually kept the bass at -2, and turned the sub output higher)

Last edited by Occam; 11-15-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Head unit is horrid for sound. I replaced it and it sounds GRRRREAT now.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM
hi, i've got a jazz 2011 with 4 stock speakers, sound is ok (especially the highs). i want to install the 2 front tweeters too though, but i wonder if the highs won't become too bright (given with the stock speakers on the 4 doors the highs are already pretty bright).

or the sound will improve, without getting too bright/harsh on highs, given that the 2 tweeters will take the load of highs from the other four speakers, leaving for those to better handle the lows and middle frequencies?

thanks.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I first replaced my stock speakers in my fit, then really hated that they were underpowered so I finally got an alpine stereo in there which now gives me plenty power and way better options. I love it.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I went many years always upgrading factory audio systems.I'm at a point now that I will not do it anymore.

I love Jazz and the stock system on the Fit sport sounds pretty good for what it is.

I still have some nice amps and a decent Kenwood HU from my Mustang if I do change my mind and want to upgrade.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I could use a pair of the OEM Honda rear door speakers.
Just bought a used 09 and the prior owner removed them.

Please PM me if you have a pair.

Cheers!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
I too dropped in the Pioneer TS-XXXXXX 6 1/2 2 way...

Originally Posted by polokid69
I just replaced the rear speakers in my GE8 sport with pioneer two ways. Now the factory onces have very littel magnet and are light as a feather while the pioneers are substantial. Is it my imagination or do I hear more bass from the stock front ones when I fade to front ? I'm debating weather or not to replace the front factory ones, maybe it will sound great once I get all 4 pioneers in / I'm confused her. Pioneer TS-G1343R 5-1/4" 2-Way Speakers
In response, I dropped in the Pioneer two way 6 1/2" counterpart of what you did to get a better low end frequency response and the sound level is so much lower than factory.

I was sure it was because of the low rms power from the head unit.

I don't mind the factory speakers, but i was sure that the factory speakers wouldn't have a good frequency range. Does anyone know the specs of the factory door speakers in 2011 sport no navi??

Thanks,
Wm.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I also thought that the stock system was pretty good, but wanted just a little more bass. I like to have that "grindy" bass sound that only a subwoofer seems to be able to give. This is what I installed:

Bazooka BTA850FH 50-watt powered 8" Bass Tubes enclosure® with included factory radio connection kit at Crutchfield.com

Since you don't have to run a dedicated power wire from the battery it was a fairly easy and straightforward install. It gives me exactly what I wanted which was a little more bass and better lows. Even though it's only 50 watts it thumps pretty well and even vibrates the seats a little. I was able to completely hide the wiring from the back of the radio to the sub in the plastic trim at the bottom of the door openings without even removing any of them.

-Dustin

Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
The stock speakers sound ok for how chinsy they really are. The rear speakers sound like fuzzy crap but thats ok because the sound image should be focused in the front anyways. I just got in my Alpine SPS-610 to replace those, well see how it sounds when im done installing them.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced the HU and front speakers a couple of weeks ago. The new kit is hands down better than the stock setup -- it's far more controlled, detailed, natural, musical etc. etc. I'll replaced the rear speakers as soon as I have time.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I am in need of 2 factory oem door speakers for my '09 Fit Sport....I bought mine used and discovered that the rear door speakers were removed.

Please PM if you would be willing to part with a pair of speakers you removed from your Fit.

Thanks!