2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Installing aftermarket rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Installing aftermarket rear view mirror?

Does anyone have a link or description on how to remove the rearview mirror from a 2010 Fit Sport and replace it with an aftermarket mirror (Gentex, Boyo, etc?) Does the mirrror mount need to be removed from the windshield and replaced, or is it possible to use the stock mount?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I think when you purchase a new mirror you match what style the fit has (unknown to me at this time) and it will fit on the button glued to the windshield. I also think they are held on by a setscrew. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
You need to get a wedge mount mirror. It will slide right onto the mount glued to your windshield.
This is the one I bought. I like it over all but it does vibrate a lot when in the daytime mode.
Amazon.com: CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature: Automotive

Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
+1 i also used a wedge mount mirror to remove mine too..

Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun
You need to get a wedge mount mirror. It will slide right onto the mount glued to your windshield.
This is the one I bought. I like it over all but it does vibrate a lot when in the daytime mode.
Amazon.com: CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature: Automotive
How does one remove the mirror from the stock mount then?

(I'm actually looking at a Bluetooth mirror, like this: Amazon.com: Boyo VTB88 Bluetooth Car Kit Mirror: Electronics)

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
It depends on what type you get. There are clip over mirror monitors which simply clips over the existing mirror. Then there are full replacement mirror monitors. Sometimes, you can just remove the mirror from the bracket held on the windshield. The mirror and the arm will slide out and you can replace it with the aftermarket mirror. You do have to make sure the aftermarket mirror has the same fit for the vehicle.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 PM
2009 Honda Fit Rear View Mirror Removal

The rear view mirror is an assembly slid on a wedge glued to the windshield.

If you position your phone camera under the mirror and look at the back of the part mounted on the windshield, you will see a fairly large slot. On the side of the slot furthest from the windshield you will see a ridge poking up. This is the catch. You have to push this ridge in to unhook the catch from the wedge glued to the windshield. It is fairly stiff, but not brute armstrong stiff.

It is best to use a right angle tool to push on the ridge, using the windshield as a fulcrum. I used a right angle plastic interior panel pry tool. The slot is pretty big, so you can make a tool of some sort. I would not recommend freehanding it or you’ll probably rip the wedge off the windshield. Bend up a piece of metal or an old screwdriver. If it’s metal wrap some duct tape around it or use something to protect the glass. It takes a little force but not too much. Don’t reef on it!

Applying pressure to the catch with your pry tool, push everything upwards, it should slide off. You’ll then drop everything on the floor, because it slides off pretty easy.

There is a video kicking around to show this. Try searching for Honda rear view mirror remove. Last time I looked it didn’t show up, but I’d guess it’s still there somewhere. They used some special tool, but you don’t need it.