2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010's MPG better each tankfull so far...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
2010's MPG better each tankfull so far...

I'm about to get my 4th fill-up with my 2010 base AT Fit, and it keeps getting better alla time with MPGs!
Last tankfull I was averaging low-to-mid 30's local driving, and low 40's onna highway!! -And I think my MPG meter is fairly accurate...

But at first that MPG meter sucka really annoyed the piss outa me! I found myself thinking of it as a constant nag and a challenge to keep the numbers up, and really began obsessing over it! And it's actually come now to the point where I'm driving the AT Fit a lot slower and easier than I do our MT Echo, seemingly content with the Fit to mostly just cruise along in the slower lanes instead of having the need to pass a lot of cars! (Which, I suspect, is a small car driver's OCD disease!)

So now I'm coming to the conclusion that that's just what the damn MPG meter wants me to do, has been actually training me to do!
But WTF, it's fun, and it's green too, so why not? And I love the way the thing steers; the firm directness of the Fit's handling makes for me all the difference in not having to go fast in order to enjoy driving!

Last edited by Chazzlee; 12-12-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
As hard as it may be, toggle through to either overall miles or trip miles. This way you don't obsess over the mpg readout. This has helped me obsess less and enjoy more. It is a good learning tool in the very beginning. You have direct feedback as to how your driving is affecting your mpg's. But after a while, it's not necessary and even a bit distracting to constantly look at the thing. Here's what you do- every fillup take a look at the mpg readout and see how well you did for that tank, and then reset it for the next tank. That's all you really need to do. Rest assured, whether you're peeking constantly or not, you're getting good gas mileage. And lastly, have fun with the car. Drive it, don't baby it. It won't break- it's a Honda!

Dan

Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
As hard as it may be, toggle through to either overall miles or trip miles. This way you don't obsess over the mpg readout. This has helped me obsess less and enjoy more. It is a good learning tool in the very beginning.

Dan
I couldn't agree more with this. My Fit is less than 2 weeks old, and I reached the same conclusion yesterday. I was getting stressed to the point of yelling at lights and other drivers when they caused me to brake. Don't they know it's costing me???? For my own sanity, I reached down and changed the readout to trip miles. My wife was starting to get annoyed and everyone knows that if Mama ain't happy, NOBODY is happy.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I have found the MPG meter to be addictive. It is helping me to get a better feel for how I can best get the car to perform efficiently... that is when I am not having too much fun.

I have three fill-ups (with a fourth likely coming tomorrow) on my new '10 base MT. Each fill-up has shown improvement (35.0, 35.9 & 36.7). I assume that my streak will run out soon, but I am having fun with it in the mean time.

Last edited by haus; 12-12-2009 at 01:58 PM.