2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System for New 2010 Honda Fit Base

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Question Security System for New 2010 Honda Fit Base

I recently "acquired" a 2010 Honda Fit. At the last minute the dealer tried to sell me (under the guise that it was already installed and would have to be removed) a factory security system on top of the anti-theft immobilizer, first for like $1500, then $700, then $500. I declined.

I'm in the market for a basic alarm system with keyless entry (as that did not come with my car). I don't need remote start. I'm leaning towards 2-Way as I'm in a rehearsal studio a lot (in a back alley) where I can't hear the car alarm, and the difference is like 50 bucks. I figure it's worth it.

Right now I'm looking at a Viper 3002 from Best Buy ($310 incl. install) and a Clifford Matrix 1x from Fry's Electronics ($250 installed + $20 "for doors" = $270, incl. "free" glass sensor, req. $30 install...don't think that's necessary).

I understand these are both basically the same company (Directed Electronics). Leaning towards the Viper because I don't like the LCD screen on the Clifford - looks big and clunky, though I think I'm going to go back and look at the size of the remotes. Do either of these make noise or vibrate when the alarm's set off - or just light? On the downside I feel like I'm paying for the 5 auxiliary inputs on the Viper that I don't plan on using at all (the Clifford has 2).

Finally in browsing some car forums a couple people recommended having the dealer install it instead of Best Buy or Fry's. Less chance of a mistake but more $$$ probably. Any thoughts on this?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'd recommend getting a compustar because it's probably (not 100% sure) got a larger community so you'll have an easier time getting things fixed if they go wrong....

Also, going to places like BB to get it installed isn't always a good idea because there's a good chance you'll get a newbie doing your car and they might screw something up. I think you're better off going to a local garage that does these kinds of installations for a couple of reasons:

1. They're more likely to give you a cheaper deal on the system + installation.
2. In all likelihood they'll know what they're doing 100x better than the guy at BB/Fry's.

Of course you have to be smart about not going to a garage with a bad rep, but that's a given.

Just my 2 cents though.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
A couple guys on another forum are basically saying aftermarket alarms are a waste of money, factory systems are wired/embedded better...get LoJack...etc...

WTF?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Do NOT have a dealer install ANYTHING aftermarket. I work as a car audio installer @ Best Buy, MECP Master Certified. All DEI alarms should have the same features - lock, unlock, door triggers, and trunk trigger. That's about it. Glass break sensors are a waste of money. If you purchase a DEI alarm, in all honesty, unless you end up installing it yourself, I would have a MECP certified installer at Best Buy install it. Why?
-BBY is insured. For millions. If there is a damage claim, you don't have to deal with the runaround of a dealership or a small shop. There are store general managers and district and corporate personnel to talk to.
-DEI offers a lifetime warranty on their product provided it was professionally installed
-BBY offers a lifetime workmanship warranty on everything they do.

The only things I've ever seen a dealership do are: overcharge out the ass, lie directly to customers, and use T-Taps like crazy. They know how to do one thing well: read step-by-step instructions

Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Security System for 2012 Honda Fit

Wondering if you have any advice on Matrix 1x Security System for the 2012 Honda Fit? Frys recommended this one for $250 including the labor. Then they recommend a Back Up Battery for $40 plus installation which totals $60. Add the trunk and hood protection, ea. for $25 and the total comes to $360 plus tax. Lifetime warranty on the control unit/brain and installation of the alarm system.

Details on System:
http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=724

Anyone know if this is a good deal? Any experiences to share with work done at Frys Electronics? It is tempting because it's more affordable than the dealer.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by waxyourboard
Do NOT have a dealer install ANYTHING aftermarket. I work as a car audio installer @ Best Buy, MECP Master Certified. All DEI alarms should have the same features - lock, unlock, door triggers, and trunk trigger. That's about it. Glass break sensors are a waste of money. If you purchase a DEI alarm, in all honesty, unless you end up installing it yourself, I would have a MECP certified installer at Best Buy install it. Why?
-BBY is insured. For millions. If there is a damage claim, you don't have to deal with the runaround of a dealership or a small shop. There are store general managers and district and corporate personnel to talk to.
-DEI offers a lifetime warranty on their product provided it was professionally installed
-BBY offers a lifetime workmanship warranty on everything they do.

The only things I've ever seen a dealership do are: overcharge out the ass, lie directly to customers, and use T-Taps like crazy. They know how to do one thing well: read step-by-step instructions

No reflection on you! But I stay away from Best Buy because they have too many consumer complaints. Very difficult to get a refund from them.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/best_buy.htm